U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 AM

383 posts, read 322,540 times

Advertisements

Thinking about taking a ride up the mountain tomorrow and wonderiing if it is worth bringing the sleds up? I see there is plenty of snow at the resort but wondering if the sledding areas are opened up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,212,320 times
Even before these recent storms I heard there was over a foot of natural snow up there. I was thinking of going up and doing the same thing. My dogs love running around in the snow too.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,315,590 times
There is a lot of snow on Mt.Charleston right now. Go and play in it.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 AM

3,164 posts, read 3,488,568 times
Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort - Snow Report (http://www.skilasvegas.com/winter/conditions/snow_report - broken link)

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM

I have a parent-teacher conference this morning (because schools where I live are pretty good if both parents and students put in a little effort) then it is off to the snow by eleven. I figured with the rain here the last few days there had to have been plenty of snow up higher. I will update tonite on the conditions.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM

11,553 posts, read 20,476,787 times
Just go to Lee Canyon. You'll find plenty of sledding spots. You'll know them by the dozens of other sledders. Inner tubes may be best up there though. Snow might be too deep for sleds unless it gets packed down. Just don't go tubing close to any trees without a helmet.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

As long as there is more than a foot of snow the forest service will let you sled/tube. Less than that is hard on the natural habitat. There is over 4 feet of snow up there now. And there are less good sledding spots at Kyle Canyon than at Lee Canyon, but there are some.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 PM

It was a perfect afternoon. It is amazing that in less than an hour you are in a different world. We parked at Foxtail in Lee Canyon for 12$. There were a few other spots for free but the heated, clean bathroom and being able to see your car and leave it unlocked was worth the money. There was plenty of snow but not too much that you couldn't walk up the hill. Afterwards we went up the hill and got some nachos at the ski resort. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who has never been up there.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
It was a perfect afternoon. It is amazing that in less than an hour you are in a different world. We parked at Foxtail in Lee Canyon for 12$. There were a few other spots for free but the heated, clean bathroom and being able to see your car and leave it unlocked was worth the money. There was plenty of snow but not too much that you couldn't walk up the hill. Afterwards we went up the hill and got some nachos at the ski resort. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who has never been up there.
$12.00 to park on Mt. Charleston??? You don't know how much that pi$$e$ me off in so many ways, and probably many of the other long time residents on this forum.

But glad you had a good time.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM

Yeah I understand. They have it open as a safe "Snow Play area." They have an entire parking lot plowed out and like I said a clean, heated bathroom. There is a good clear area for sledding and today there was a group using the picnic tables. There were other areas with plenty of parking to the side of the road with free parking. In my younger days I would have used the free spots but if the 12$ goes to good use and gives me the option of changing in to dry clothes in a warm area it was worth it. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas