Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:24 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,858,919 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking part in the biggest chess tournament in the west coast that will be held in Vegas from December 26-29. Now you guys know one more thing Vegas is famous for:-)

Need some advice:

I will only come if I get a one-way ticket from Seattle using my frequent flyer miles, since I have heard that driving through Oregon can be dangerous in case of snow. Sometimes, the miles tickets become available a day or two before departure and I have not checked in the past few days if anything is available. So this will be a last minute decision in all likelihood. How easy is it to get a hotel room from December 26-29 at the last minute? Is the next week and a half a busy time in Vegas, or do people generally only come in droves on New Year's eve? Is Christmas Day a busy day too? Will I be able to get a hotel room from Dec 30-Jan first week if I decide to extend my stay?

The chess tournament is at Ballys. They were offering special room rates for chess players for $65 a night, but now the deal is over. Are there any cheap hotels near Bally's? Is Bally's located on or close to the strip?

I will be coming there by myself. What can a person do by themselves in Vegas besides gambling and shows? I will gamble a little bit, but prefer not going to a show if I have no company.

Any recommendations for where to play hold em small stakes tournaments and table games? Anywhere they teach how to play other games?

Any advice about Vegas in general and what its like between late December and Jan 7 would be useful.

Excited about something that might not even happen!

*** Also, are there any beaches in San Diego or other cities not too far from Vegas by air that anyone living in Vegas can recommend. I am considering a few days beach vacation after Vegas if things work out. Haven't had a proper vacation in 1.5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,132 times
Welcome,
I see ads for spirit air $7 one way, you should see what they have available.
You should have no problem getting a cheap room, vegas gets busy new years, but its quiet after christmas.

Jonathan

Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Just don't get "rooked" into paying high prices.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
I am pretty sure that Christmas is slow on the strip.

As far as San Diego, I used to stay at the Surfer Motel. It is an old motel, but it is right on the sand and relatively inexpensive. It has been a number of years and think it has been renovated. They have a website and you can view pictures and reserve rooms there.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I am considering taking part in the biggest chess tournament in the west coast that will be held in Vegas from December 26-29. Now you guys know one more thing Vegas is famous for:-)

Need some advice:

I will only come if I get a one-way ticket from Seattle using my frequent flyer miles, since I have heard that driving through Oregon can be dangerous in case of snow. Sometimes, the miles tickets become available a day or two before departure and I have not checked in the past few days if anything is available. So this will be a last minute decision in all likelihood. How easy is it to get a hotel room from December 26-29 at the last minute? Is the next week and a half a busy time in Vegas, or do people generally only come in droves on New Year's eve? Is Christmas Day a busy day too? Will I be able to get a hotel room from Dec 30-Jan first week if I decide to extend my stay?

The chess tournament is at Ballys. They were offering special room rates for chess players for $65 a night, but now the deal is over. Are there any cheap hotels near Bally's? Is Bally's located on or close to the strip?

I will be coming there by myself. What can a person do by themselves in Vegas besides gambling and shows? I will gamble a little bit, but prefer not going to a show if I have no company.

Any recommendations for where to play hold em small stakes tournaments and table games? Anywhere they teach how to play other games?

Any advice about Vegas in general and what its like between late December and Jan 7 would be useful.

Excited about something that might not even happen!

*** Also, are there any beaches in San Diego or other cities not too far from Vegas by air that anyone living in Vegas can recommend. I am considering a few days beach vacation after Vegas if things work out. Haven't had a proper vacation in 1.5 years.
I know a few folks who have played in the North American Open (Dec 26-29) and really enjoyed it. It should be fun. Bally's is situated well on the Strip to allow you to explore. I think finding an inexpensive room should not be difficult since this is a very slow time, although interestingly The Signature indicates "low availability" beginning Dec 24th and nearly sold out on New Year's Eve. Good luck and may en passant be with you!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Everyone knows the Queen is the most powerful piece on the chess board, so stay here:

Spoiler

or even here:

Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the great advice and all the chess references:-)

Macgeek, Spirit does not seem to have any flights from Seattle it seems.

jfkIII, that second link to Knight's Inn has the worst ever reviews I have read. I hope you were joking!

Last edited by usernametaken; 12-18-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
jfkIII, that second link to Knight's Inn has the worst ever reviews I have read. I hope you were joking!
Chess tournament...Queens...Knights...get it? (agree on those reviews!)

A pawn (or two) has also been known to take down a King in chess...so try this place, if you get desparate...

Spoiler

Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Ah! Didn't realize the Knight one.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 PM

30 posts, read 32,679 times
As far as things to do, if you're renting a car, you could always go drive around lake mead. I did that for fun lol. My son was passed out in the back of the car, so unfortunately I didn't stop to walk around, but it was neat to just drive around that whole big area. I would also check out some museums as well, but I'm a pretty big museum buff. Whenever I'm in LV I have a car, and stay with family (until I move in a few months WOOT!) so I just check out stuff around town. I go to the strip, and Fremont, but that's just because I like to look at everything. I don't gamble, I don't really drink, and I don't like to spend a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas