Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:14 AM

47 posts, read 149,794 times

Advertisements

So far no luck with finding a place. I kept going back and forth if I should find a roommate vs getting my own place. I decided against getting my own place when it was expensive for the short term I will be here. I was going to get a 1 bedroom, for only $435 for 6 month lease, but after paying for the application, I found some reviews about the place, and people were saying many units were infected with bed bugs. I thought about it, and thought about the area, and being that many of the units are connected, and said no way will I even take a chance with those things. So I walked away from the place, and will lose my money I paid for them to run a credit check and application of $135. I should have realized not to go there when I saw a stack of Terminex bills on the counter in the office. I figured at the time that they were proactive and at least making sure that they don't get these insects.

Today I look at what seems to be a nice house. The guy sounded a little gay on the phone, but I thought, maybe he is just nice. Even though I should know better then to live with gays, cause they always seem to come on to me. So I go to take a look at the room in his house. He answers the door, and he is flamboyantly gay about 38-40. He brings me to the room, tells me to sit on the bed, and sits kind of close. I am sure he touched my leg there a couple of times.
We then go out of the room for him to show me the house, then afterwards he tells me to sit down on the couch. He sits kind of close. While talking to me he starts to tough my leg more. This time for longer. He then asks if I am gay. I tell him no. I actually told him before that I prefer girls. He touched my leg again, even longer this time with light squeezing. Tells me I'm good looking and all that crap. I'm thinking, crap, how do I get out of this one, without being rude. He then goes on talking about sex, and sex with other male roommates. He says at the same time he will respect that I am straight. He then says straight up "I will suck your D***" right now. I tell him no, then finally get on my way, not without further sexual harassment.

I look at another room, this one was those run down single family houses in north of las vegas. pull up into the neighborhood and it is pretty all run down. Go into the house, and this 25-30 year old white kid answers. Wearing dirty clothing, starts to show me the single family run down house. Total filth and beat up furniture and walls. 1st shows me the bathroom, its old and disgusting. Shows me some dark small bed room, the ceiling was falling down, disgusting etc. and cold. AND it does not even have a window. Says there are 4 people living there already, don't know how that could be, cause house was so small. I would not stay there if he offered me to stay there for free. I then ask how much the rent was. He tells me its $450 a month. Who the heck in their right mind would pay $450 a month. Zillow shows houses like his selling for 23,000 in the area, some did sell for 50-60,000. But the house in his condition probably would sell for 23,000. That means his mortgage, taxes and interest would be like 250 a month. And he wants to charge $450 for a bedroom, when 4 other people are living in the house and he runs his computer business in part of the house where he has a blanket to section it off. Tells me that I can't go in there also.

Holy crap guys, I'm having no luck. One place seemed nice, but even though she tells me she is quitting smoking, she smoked like 3 cigarettes while I was there for like 2 hours. Plus I looked up the reviews of the apartment complex, and 20 people gave it like one star out of 5. Read the reviews if you wish. http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...rtments.html#b
Now the women tells me that her complex got bad reviews, but she said that it isn't so bad and you just get the people who want to complain will write. But Please read the reviews, would you take a chance? She claims no bugs, but people are saying their units are infested, she also puts all her open food in the refrigerator, says she always did that. so if you can read the reviews, and let me know what you think that will be nice.
But the smoking is a deal breaker for me, I don't want to breath in second hand smoke all day.

I have one more week to look before the hotel rates really shoot up, so I will have to take the first thing that seems reasonable.

Last edited by Traveler500; 12-18-2011 at 02:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
He then goes on talking about sex, and sex with other male roommates. He says at the same time he will respect that I am straight. He then says straight up "I will suck your D***" right now. I tell him no, then finally get on my way, not without further sexual harassment.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:31 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler500 View Post

I look at another room, this one was those run down single family houses in north of las vegas. pull up into the neighborhood and it is pretty all run down. Go into the house, and this 25-30 year old white kid answers. Wearing dirty clothing, starts to show me the single family run down house. Total filth and beat up furniture and walls. 1st shows me the bathroom, its old and disgusting. Shows me some dark small bed room, the ceiling was falling down, disgusting etc. and cold. AND it does not even have a window. Says there are 4 people living there already, don't know how that could be, cause house was so small. I would not stay there if he offered me to stay there for free. I then ask how much the rent was. He tells me its $450 a month. Who the heck in their right mind would pay $450 a month. Zillow shows houses like his selling for 23,000 in the area, some did sell for 50-60,000. But the house in his condition probably would sell for 23,000. That means his mortgage, taxes and interest would be like 250 a month. And he wants to charge $450 for a bedroom, when 4 other people are living in the house and he runs his computer business in part of the house where he has a blanket to section it off. Tells me that I can't go in there also.
That sounds like that house in the far northeast area near Pecos. We knew someone that rented a room over that way for $450 a month, and house was really small, but he did have a window. The guy also ran a computer business out of the house. Probably the same people.

You will probably keep having these kinds of problems the cheaper you go with what you can afford. Maybe avoid the Craigslist ads! Too many scams there and weirdos. Hard to find the good ads.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:33 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
So far no luck with finding a place. I kept going back and forth if I should find a roommate vs getting my own place. I decided against getting my own place when it was expensive for the short term I will be here. I was going to get a 1 bedroom, for only $435 for 6 month lease, but after paying for the application, I found some reviews about the place, and people were saying many units were infected with bed bugs. I thought about it, and thought about the area, and being that many of the units are connected, and said no way will I even take a chance with those things. So I walked away from the place, and will lose my money I paid for them to run a credit check and application of $135. I should have realized not to go there when I saw a stack of Terminex bills on the counter in the office. I figured at the time that they were proactive and at least making sure that they don't get these insects.

Today I look at what seems to be a nice house. The guy sounded a little gay on the phone, but I thought, maybe he is just nice. Even though I should know better then to live with gays, cause they always seem to come on to me. So I go to take a look at the room in his house. He answers the door, and he is flamboyantly gay about 38-40. He brings me to the room, tells me to sit on the bed, and sits kind of close. I am sure he touched my leg there a couple of times.
We then go out of the room for him to show me the house, then afterwards he tells me to sit down on the couch. He sits kind of close. While talking to me he starts to tough my leg more. This time for longer. He then asks if I am gay. I tell him no. I actually told him before that I prefer girls. He touched my leg again, even longer this time with light squeezing. Tells me I'm good looking and all that crap. I'm thinking, crap, how do I get out of this one, without being rude. He then goes on talking about sex, and sex with other male roommates. He says at the same time he will respect that I am straight. He then says straight up "I will suck your D***" right now. I tell him no, then finally get on my way, not without further sexual harassment.

Holy crap guys, I'm having no luck. One place seemed nice, but even though she tells me she is quitting smoking, she smoked like 3 cigarettes while I was there for like 2 hours. Plus I looked up the reviews of the apartment complex, and 20 people gave it like one star out of 5. Read the reviews if you wish. Hamptons Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Las Vegas apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Now the women tells me that her complex got bad reviews, but she said that it isn't so bad and you just get the people who want to complain will write. But Please read the reviews, would you take a chance? She claims no bugs, but people are saying their units are infested, she also puts all her open food in the refrigerator, says she always did that. so if you can read the reviews, and let me know what you think that will be nice.
But the smoking is a deal breaker for me, I don't want to breath in second hand smoke all day.

I have one more week to look before the hotel rates really shoot up, so I will have to take the first thing that seems reasonable.
I loved your story! Sounds like the one guy wanted a "sex mate" instead of a room mate...glad you got out of there!

Have you ever thought of renting a mobile home? You don't have to contend with "touchy feely" roomates, you have your privacy and the cost is usually lower than renting an apartment.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:35 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
He then says straight up "I will suck your D***" right now. I tell him no, then finally get on my way, not without further sexual harassment.
Talk about a blown opportunity!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck.

In my pre-married days I used to rent a room out in my house and out of probably half a dozen roommates, I never heard any crazy stories like that!

I don't know your geographical restrictions, but maybe look for a place that has a casita. I know a handful of people were renting those out and it gives you your own private space similar to a mini-apartment. When I had looked in the past, they were renting at reasonable prices.

What's your budget? I would think you could find something reasonable for $400/mo and probably pretty nice for $500/mo.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 AM

47 posts, read 149,794 times
Thanks for replies everyone. I will actually get $100 back from the place I paid my application on. Not sure why they even charged me the $100 up front if it is refundable. I will just lose the $35, no big deal.

Anyway, I guess I should not be so cheap and spend a little bit extra for something nice.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM

291 posts, read 452,295 times
Default Another Fitzgerald, Kerouac, Capote?

Sounds to me like we've just discovered the next Great American Novelist. I like the gritty realism.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,782 times
There is this thing called the internet...you can look things up on it.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:

Haha, thanks for a good laugh. As a side note, why the hell do you care about being rude when the guy is feeling you up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas