U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,499 times
Reputation: 15
Default To Buy or Not to Buy: 89108

So browsing the forums I have heard that there are some very shady areas within this zip code but the specific area I am looking at is close to N Rancho and West Lake Mead Blvd or about 4 blocks west of Texas Station. Does anyone know if this specific pocket is a good area? Also the schools Bailey Middle and Western High do not seem to be that great but I do see better ones that in some cases are closer by does the school district allow you to bend the boundaries somewhat? Thanks for any information you can give me =)

Last edited by ranquet91; 01-02-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,123,496 times
Reputation: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranquet91 View Post
So browsing the forums I have heard that there are some very shady areas within this zip code but the specific area I am looking at is close to N Rancho and West Lake Mead Blvd or about 4 blocks west of Texas Station. Does anyone know if this specific pocket is a good area? Also the schools Bailey Middle and Western High do not seem to be that great but I do see better ones that in some cases are closer by does the school district allow you to bend the boundaries somewhat? Thanks for any information you can give me =)
Very, very bad area. I lived there 25 years ago and there were two murders in one week. ...Both had men that had been shot in the street and the 6 o'clock news was there...And I am referring to what is right behind the Texas Station. The Texas Station itself, is pretty safe inside, you have security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Reno
733 posts, read 968,694 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Very, very bad area. I lived there 25 years ago and there were two murders in one week. ...Both had men that had been shot in the street and the 6 o'clock news was there...And I am referring to what is right behind the Texas Station. The Texas Station itself, is pretty safe inside, you have security.
You're talking about something that happened 25 years ago and not even the area the OP is referring to. Yes, the area behind Texas Station is lousy, but he's talking about a different place. It's hardly upscale but it's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
5,440 posts, read 6,397,716 times
Reputation: 3203
89108 is an ok zip, doesn't seem to have the newest housing but I do not here too much about violent crime around either, that area is just old that's all, but if your in 89108 the closer you are to rainbow boulevard the better off you'll be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,499 times
Reputation: 15
Well the house is not directly behind Texas Station but due West just across Rancho, I do have to agree if it was a bad neighborhood 25 years ago that does not mean anything today. What about schools does CCSD allow you to bend the borders a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 PM
 
160 posts, read 159,964 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranquet91 View Post
Well the house is not directly behind Texas Station but due West just across Rancho, I do have to agree if it was a bad neighborhood 25 years ago that does not mean anything today. What about schools does CCSD allow you to bend the borders a bit?
Western is about the bottom of the high school system. I would not bet on getting a waiver unless you got kids who qualify for the magnet schools.

Unless I had all that set I would not buy or rent in the western zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,731 posts, read 5,469,210 times
Reputation: 1229
I would buy with caution in that zip. I have a house at N. Valley/Vegas Drive (very close to Texas Station and Rancho), but it's very old and so is the area, it's been deteriorating for years now.

While my particular neighborhood was/is always quiet, surrounding areas are not, especially around Coran/Lake Mead Blvd and Decatur/Vegas Drive.

If I were buying a home now, I'd really, really research the neighborhood where the house is located, really well. It might be OK, but some of the surrounding area is not.

Proceed with caution, move west of that location and it gets better.

Schools are not that great in that zip either, not anymore anyways. Take a trip here, see the house and ride around, park outside the high school and middle school at 1:30 and 2:20 pm respectively, when the kids are let out, you'll know if it's the right choice for you.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
 
39 posts, read 42,463 times
Reputation: 46
I know someone who lives in the 89108 zip and the area they are in is very safe. It's near Cheyenne and Jones. There's a retirement home also in the area a couple of blocks away. Nice homes and taken care of well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
 
29 posts, read 49,290 times
Reputation: 21
i just moved into 89108 and the neighborhood isnt too shabby. clean, no loud noise. Its right off the 95 & rainbow so little west of where you are at which is much better btw. The further East you go, the worst it is.

Get a good home security alarm, some guns and you should be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 AM
 
Location: H-Town... "A place to call home"
2,532 posts, read 2,198,000 times
Reputation: 868
Did you buy? How do you like it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top