U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 AM

206 posts, read 182,289 times
Not sure if you guys had heard about this out there. The possibility of online slot machines scares the hell out of me...there are way too many addictive people sitting at their computers with credit cards available. The States are getting desperate for revenue because God forbid they should keep spending in check. This is the 1st I've heard of it but sounds like a bad idea to me. Justice Department ruling allows for possibility of online gambling in New York | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 AM

52 posts, read 103,726 times
i believe that law will only apply to online poker and is specific to online poker from what i understand. in the law it makes a statement about how sports betting and table games ect are not included ect. just from what ive heard from people in the industry.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 AM

667 posts, read 579,453 times
Online gaming has been around for a long time and has millions of people involved in it. Simply put, the government has realized it can't continue to fight it and, by legalizing online gaming, can generate revenue. Consider it much like throwing in the towel on Prohibition - but in a digital setting.

Bill

Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 AM

7,293 posts, read 5,537,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Online gaming has been around for a long time and has millions of people involved in it. Simply put, the government has realized it can't continue to fight it and, by legalizing online gaming, can generate revenue. Consider it much like throwing in the towel on Prohibition - but in a digital setting.
Too bad government can't get with the program on other forms of prohibition. That'd fix a lot of problems in a hurry.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 AM

667 posts, read 579,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Too bad government can't get with the program on other forms of prohibition. That'd fix a lot of problems in a hurry.
Agreed. Don't get me started...

Bill

Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM

579 posts, read 350,919 times
OP, at this point Nevada and Washington DC have legalized online poker. About 15 states have legalized online horse racing. Online gambling is up to the states at this point, the feds have done a poor job with getting it organized. It is certainly possible some will legalize slot machines, but for the most part it seems online poker would come first.

We are the last industrialized country in the world to legalized online gambling. The other countries did not implode when they did it, neither will we. I think anyone that plays online slot machines is a fool, but they have a right to be a fool if they wish. They are just going to blow their money some other way. Who are we to save them from themselves? That is not the role of government. Keep in mind that online slots and other games are already available although questionably legal. At least if it is licensed and regulated players will not get cheated by rogue offshore outfits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas