Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,291 times

Advertisements

I've read Cadillac Desert; it paints a grim picture. But population can't increase forever. When push comes to shove in some places as nature demands, I'm confident that those populations will adjust flat or down. Those who can afford to remain will still have water. Being a renewable resource, lack of water is mostly a cost issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony View Post
Exactly--thank you. I've read 50 pages back on the posts here and didn't see any threads regarding Lake Mead and possible water shortages. So obviously any threads on this topic are quite old, and likely don't take into account the current spike in water levels that have apparently occurred recently. Newer information is indeed better than older information when it comes to this topic.
Next time try the search function...much easier, quicker and accurate.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
In the old days, such as when my home town of Los Angeles needed water, a city could basically just steal it. Now people still keep moving to places with insufficient natural resources to support a large populaton base. I believe the Colorado River is basically nothing by the time it reaches its mouth down in Mexico. The trend, at least politically, seems to be for fewer big projects to transport water, and fewer restrictions on developers who build where the resources are limited. Time to move to Pioche!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM

59 posts, read 156,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
Those who can afford to remain will still have water. Being a renewable resource, lack of water is mostly a cost issue.
This is something else I've often wondered about--if water is so scarce in LV, why's it so cheap? My monthly water bill is $11.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM

579 posts, read 997,096 times
Quote:
This is something else I've often wondered about--if water is so scarce in LV, why's it so cheap? My monthly water bill is $11.
The water is cheap at the bottom level of usage. There are tiers that after you use x # of gallons, the charge per 1000 gallons goes up. Once you start overusing water, like people that have green properties typically do, it becomes very expensive. This is a part of the conservation effort. Penalizing people that overuse water will create less demand, or subsidize those that do not overuse it. Water amounts that would equal normal use of household water are billed very cheap.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Here's a link to the Southern Nevada Water Authority, the site is full of great info about conservation and construction. The "third straw" is currently under construction and there are plans (mired in politics though) for Las Vegas to start tapping upstate underground water sources if needed.

Here ya go

Intake No. 3

Last edited by MomMom; 01-11-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 04:18 PM

59 posts, read 156,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
The water is cheap at the bottom level of usage. There are tiers that after you use x # of gallons, the charge per 1000 gallons goes up. Once you start overusing water, like people that have green properties typically do, it becomes very expensive. This is a part of the conservation effort. Penalizing people that overuse water will create less demand, or subsidize those that do not overuse it. Water amounts that would equal normal use of household water are billed very cheap.
Oh okay, I didn't know that--thanks. That's actually a very smart way of billing. All of the water I use personally is recaptured because I currently live in a condo w/o any real landscaping to speak of. I guess over and above a certain level, they know you're watering a lawn, etc which is essentially wasting water because it's not recaptured. Innnnteresting!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

18 posts, read 23,820 times
Quote:
I keep reading scary predictions about how soon Vegas could run out of water (like...two years from now!). It honestly makes me scared to buy a house here. What do you guys think? Warranted or not? The last thing I'd want is to own a home in a city with no water!
132,000 residents stopped watering their lawns in the last 5 years. Just kidding.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Last year we had a TON of snow in the Rockies & Wasatch

This year, unfortunately, is the driest on record in the Wasatch -- in Park City, site of the 2002 Winter Olympics, there is no snow aside from man-made. We're skiing on rocks up here.

It isn't any better in the Rockies.
SportyandMisty is right. It isn't any better in the Rockies.

I live 11 miles west of Grand Junction, and less than a quarter mile north of the Colorado River. It is down.

Last Thursday the Denver Post had a state breakdown regarding the percentage of snowpack. The snowpack is 63% of normal in the northwest corner of the state and 65% in the north central portion. The southwest portion (Durango, Pagosa Springs is faring a little better but not by a lot. Ironically the front range and eastern plains aren't doing too badly.

It's still early and just last night a sizable storm blew through the Denver/Colorado Springs area. But here in the Grand Junction area, we have only had two measurable snows this season, one for a tenth of an inch and one for an inch. The seven day forecast is calling for partly cloudy with highs in the 40's.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What consumes the most water from the Colorado river?

If you answered "Las Vegas" or "agricultural irrigation," you'd be mistaken. The answer is -- trees.

Specifically invasive tamarisk trees, or salt cedar, which consume enough water to supply 20 million people, or 1 million acres of irrigation.

Get rid of the tamarisk, and Las Vegas no longer has a water problem. Every year, tamarisks suck twice as much water from the Colorado than Nevada's entire yearly allotment.

Problem is, the tamarisk is a hardy tree, and grows in places that are difficult for us to simply attack with chain saws.

There's a beetle that eats the trees, but eco-warrior types are against releasing them into the tamarisk stands because the tamarisk is the new habitat for an endangered bird called the Southwestern willow flycatcher.

Thankfully, one scientist said, "that's a load of crap" and independently released the beetle as a "test" on private land along the Colorado. It's having significant impact. And it appears the beetle will ONLY eat tamarisk trees. Hopefully, it won't develop a taste for other species as the tamarisks die off. But that could take awhile.

Links:

Tamarisk Frequently Asked Questions - Questions about the Tamarisk plants near Moab, Utah.

Utah Issues | Invasive Species | How the tamarisk leaf beetle was introduced in Utah and its effects over the past few years
Great post, Scoop!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas