Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times

Advertisements

Always remember that every silver lining has a cloud. I'm not trying to intentionally bust up the Viva Vegas! e-party going on here, but trying to inject some reality by imparting on the OP that not every U-Haul van headed your way is a cause for celebration.

I live in Los Angeles, California in a relatively nice area, but I work in an area that isn't so nice - economically. In my field, I deal with children from the elementary level to high school and some young adults in their early 20s.

So, as you might have correctly assumed, I deal with low-income people and families every day in my line of work, or, people that are commonly referred to as "ghetto" by others.

Many of my clients have moved to Las Vegas over the past five years or are planning on doing so, as it has been rumored that housing is cheaper there than it is in California and there is "easy money" to be made. Two days ago, in fact, one little girl excitedly remarked to me that she and her family were "movin' to Vegas". This piqued my curiousity. "When?", I asked. "Over the summer, after daddy gets his ankle bracelet taken off!", she beamed.

Because of Vegas' reputation for seedy activity around the Strip, many of these people have it in their mind that it is not only cheap, but that they can engage in activities there that they would get in lots of trouble for in California. Despite the fact that myself and my colleagues have told them that Nevada is a strict state with a large, influential Mormon population, this doesn't seem to deter them one bit. I also tell them that once they leave California for Nevada, it will be pretty much financially impossible to come back and live here again. That still doesn't seem to deter them.

I thought to myself, "...holy hell! I don't think these are the types of people that Las Vegas wants to attract, nevertheless, that's where so many are headed!"

All I can say is that if this trend really means anything, your Metro police officers, your social workers, your welfare office staff and your county Section 8 housing inspectors will be undoubtedly earning their paychecks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
I agree one hundred times with logline. Driving in Nevada can be no worse than many other regions of the country. I am sure many new residents from the NE will handle that with ease. I am not sure if the folks on this thread realize what winter is really like in the NE. It starts in October and ends in late April sometimes May. Summer is short and it starts over. We have 6 months of winter 2 months of summer and we do not know what to call the other months. lol. Halloween costumes are made to fit over a snow suit, storm windows are taken off memorial day and put back on labor day, the car anti-freeze (not coolant as Nevadian s say) is set at -40 degrees, our cars rot out from the salt used on the roads, black ice on the roads appear from no where and no body can drive on that, wind chills of -20 to -30 is common, summer heat humidity levels in the 90% range, 40% of the population north of the 40 parallel just south of Boston has a vitamin D deficiency. You own more turtle necks and sweaters than you have pairs of socks, ice scrapers and snow brushes are standard in cars, if the temperature in the water for the above ground pool gets over 80 degrees it is considered a hot summer, you open your pool mid June and close it Labor day. I could go on OH! one other thing if you die in December thru April you will not be buried you have to wait until May usually around Memorial Day the ground is frozen and the frost goes down between 4 and 6 feet which may cause the coffin to pop out of the ground when the frost goes out of the ground. Las Vegas here I come.!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
I agree one hundred times with logline. Driving in Nevada can be no worse than many other regions of the country. I am sure many new residents from the NE will handle that with ease. I am not sure if the folks on this thread realize what winter is really like in the NE. It starts in October and ends in late April sometimes May. Summer is short and it starts over. We have 6 months of winter 2 months of summer and we do not know what to call the other months. lol. Halloween costumes are made to fit over a snow suit, storm windows are taken off memorial day and put back on labor day, the car anti-freeze (not coolant as Nevadian s say) is set at -40 degrees, our cars rot out from the salt used on the roads, black ice on the roads appear from no where and no body can drive on that, wind chills of -20 to -30 is common, summer heat humidity levels in the 90% range, 40% of the population north of the 40 parallel just south of Boston has a vitamin D deficiency. You own more turtle necks and sweaters than you have pairs of socks, ice scrapers and snow brushes are standard in cars, if the temperature in the water for the above ground pool gets over 80 degrees it is considered a hot summer, you open your pool mid June and close it Labor day. I could go on OH! one other thing if you die in December thru April you will not be buried you have to wait until May usually around Memorial Day the ground is frozen and the frost goes down between 4 and 6 feet which may cause the coffin to pop out of the ground when the frost goes out of the ground. Las Vegas here I come.!!!
Maybe in the Adirondacks, but even in my area, that is a stretch in terms of winter.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Hey, I did my part by arriving 6 weeks ago. (beam)
Yeah, and when you left there and came here you raised the average IQ of both places.

Sorry. I love that line.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
Always remember that every silver lining has a cloud. I'm not trying to intentionally bust up the Viva Vegas! e-party going on here, but trying to inject some reality by imparting on the OP that not every U-Haul van headed your way is a cause for celebration.

I live in Los Angeles, California in a relatively nice area, but I work in an area that isn't so nice - economically. In my field, I deal with children from the elementary level to high school and some young adults in their early 20s.

So, as you might have correctly assumed, I deal with low-income people and families every day in my line of work, or, people that are commonly referred to as "ghetto" by others.

Many of my clients have moved to Las Vegas over the past five years or are planning on doing so, as it has been rumored that housing is cheaper there than it is in California and there is "easy money" to be made. Two days ago, in fact, one little girl excitedly remarked to me that she and her family were "movin' to Vegas". This piqued my curiousity. "When?", I asked. "Over the summer, after daddy gets his ankle bracelet taken off!", she beamed.

Because of Vegas' reputation for seedy activity around the Strip, many of these people have it in their mind that it is not only cheap, but that they can engage in activities there that they would get in lots of trouble for in California. Despite the fact that myself and my colleagues have told them that Nevada is a strict state with a large, influential Mormon population, this doesn't seem to deter them one bit. I also tell them that once they leave California for Nevada, it will be pretty much financially impossible to come back and live here again. That still doesn't seem to deter them.

I thought to myself, "...holy hell! I don't think these are the types of people that Las Vegas wants to attract, nevertheless, that's where so many are headed!"

All I can say is that if this trend really means anything, your Metro police officers, your social workers, your welfare office staff and your county Section 8 housing inspectors will be undoubtedly earning their paychecks!
There is so much wrong with everything you've dreamed up here that I don't know where to start. So I'll just say, you are so full of it you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Yeah, and when you left there and came here you raised the average IQ of both places.

Sorry. I love that line.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Well, yeah. This kinda gets a "duh" response from me, since my wife and I just went through this analysis a year ago and all of those reasons are why we decided to move to Vegas (from the Northeast). We are self-employed and can work from anywhere; in that context (which is similar to that of retirees), Vegas quickly hits the top of the list of attractive places to move to. As long as housing prices are low (which they likely will be for several more years), people in such a position are going to be strongly attracted to Vegas.
But people were even more strongly attracted to Las Vegas when you couldn't buy a house for under $500,000. Housing prices have dropped like a rock pretty much everywhere. When housing prices were overinflated, people here were selling their $150,000 homes for $600,000, and buying 30 acre farms with a house, a barn, and a tractor, back east.

This whole Las Vegas boom started in about 1987 when southern Californians found they could get $400,000 for their $40,000 homes, move here and buy a $90,000 home for $125,000, and they thought that was cheap.

Now that the bubble has burst and they can get those houses cheaply again, they're still looking at Las Vegas as the most ideal area of the country to live. Unfortunately for us, it is. The only time people were never "very strongly attracted to Las Vegas", was before 1905. At least modern people. There have been people hanging out here for over 11,000 years.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 AM

41 posts, read 71,528 times
I am among those who fled the NE to Vegas. So far I am really enjoying myself and the people here. I love to call my family when I hear a snow storm is about to hit them and tell them how I am outside and its a sunny 66 degrees.

I plan to be here for a while

Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post

Awwwww...thanks for your concern about the City of Las Vegas and the State of Nevada! I had no idea the " WRONG " kind of people were looking here on City Data and found that positive article I posted!

I'll call our Mayor and the Clark County/City Council to petition to have that historic and iconic "WELCOME TO FABULOUS LAS VEGAS" sign REMOVED because according to your way of thinking, that must be attracting the "WRONG" kind of people to our area as well!!!

Las Vegas welcomes EVERYONE, the good, the bad and the ugly.....and we can handle it, it's what we're all about and we've been doing this since 1905, in case you didn't know.

In my very honest opinion, if you feel you need to do your civic duty and act again with a warning because of a link to a positive article about moving to Las Vegas posted here on Ciity Data and it attracting the " wrong" kind of people, then I suggest you don't look.

Have a magical day!

12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
mattk92681

Try some of the older, more established neighborhoods west of the 14 Freeway. Something I have noticed about Section 8 people is that they generally don't like older homes built before the 1990s. Many of them have a "ghetto wealthy" mentality where they want everything brand new (i.e. brand new Escalade, new rims, new shoes, new house, new neighborhood) as to prove to others that they have everything new because in their mind "new=better!" , so stay away from new housing developments where there are lots of empty homes!

Look for housing developments built in the 1970s and 1980s, especially in the area around 20th Street West and Avenue L down to 20th Street West and Avenue K-8, it seems like a decent area of older homes where the owners have maintained it and kept it clean.

Last edited by MomMom; 01-21-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM

123 posts, read 271,567 times
C'mon down to LV everybody......we got plenty of water to go round.....don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas