Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM

88 posts, read 357,264 times

Advertisements

On July 28, 2010 my wife and I moved to Henderson. After 18 months and 1 day, we want to say that We Love it!!!

Things we love.
--The choices of restaurants to eat.
--I-215 between the 15 and Ann Road. One of the nicest freeways to drive on. I hope someday they get it completed for a loop.
--All the different outdoor things you can do if you choose to do it.
--Mt Charleston.
--The fact that you drive down the strip whenever you are feeling crazy to do it.
--The weather(No fog and blue skys). Plus when its hot you have AC in 99.9 of every building you go in, including your place of residence. I have yet to find a place that DOES NOT HAVE AC.

Things we dont like.
--The boring weather reports. Not the weather itself, but how almost every weather forecast is the same.
--The inconsistency in people driving. We both come from California, so we are used to crazy driving, but I do not understand people going 10 miles under the speed limit on the freeway going more then 3 exits in a car in a newer car and is not an old person or on the phone.

My word of advice for anyone thinking about moving here is: Think about where you are coming from. Vegas is a totally different beast. Also think why are you wanting to come out here. Know what you are getting into. If you go with that, then you will not be surprised in August when it hits 110. I really think we should create a thread for people wanting to come out and live here. Then put it as a sticky. It should have all the good and bad, plus any questions anyone may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 AM

677 posts, read 835,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traypaul View Post
I really think we should create a thread for people wanting to come out and live here. Then put it as a sticky. It should have all the good and bad, plus any questions anyone may have.
Great idea! I second that motion.

And thanks for your update.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,165 times
I think the Driving in Vegas is a hybrid of crazy California drivers, mixed with calm Utah and Nevada drivers, and add in a MAJOR bunch of tourists with the full collision waver on their rental Chevy Lumina (I have never seen "Aqua" as a color before" -- LEWIS BLACK)

So driving in Las Vegas is truly a challenge, I have found most people are polite, but you get a crazy who cuts across 4 lanes of traffic at high speed to take the exit. Or the person who's GPS says "Right Turn Ahead" so they need to be in the LEFT LANE going .00000002 miles a hr drifting toward the right, while they are looking at the Frommers Travel Guide for 'best pizza in Las Vegas"

nuff said

Jonathan

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I think the Driving in Vegas is a hybrid of crazy California drivers, mixed with calm Utah and Nevada drivers, and add in a MAJOR bunch of tourists with the full collision waver on their rental Chevy Lumina (I have never seen "Aqua" as a color before" -- LEWIS BLACK)
I don't think traffic is even an issue here. Compared to southern California, or (god forbid) Miami, Las Vegas traffic is nothing.

Find the roads less traveled that get you where you're going. For me, that's usually D.I., Warm Springs, Green Valley and a few others. Stay off the 15, and driving around here is quite pleasant.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
On July 28, 2010 my wife and I moved to Henderson. After 18 months and 1 day, we want to say that We Love it!!!

Things we love.
--I-215 between the 15 and Ann Road. One of the nicest freeways to drive on. I hope someday they get it completed for a loop.
--Mt Charleston.
--The fact that you drive down the strip whenever you are feeling crazy to do it.
--The weather(No fog and blue skys). Plus when its hot you have AC in 99.9 of every building you go in, including your place of residence. I have yet to find a place that DOES NOT HAVE AC.

Things we dont like.
--The boring weather reports. Not the weather itself, but how almost every weather forecast is the same.
--The inconsistency in people driving. We both come from California, so we are used to crazy driving, but I do not understand people going 10 miles under the speed limit on the freeway going more then 3 exits in a car in a newer car and is not an old person or on the phone.

My word of advice for anyone thinking about moving here is: Think about where you are coming from. Vegas is a totally different beast. Also think why are you wanting to come out here. Know what you are getting into. If you go with that, then you will not be surprised in August when it hits 110. I really think we should create a thread for people wanting to come out and live here. Then put it as a sticky. It should have all the good and bad, plus any questions anyone may have.
Great post Traypaul and thanks for the update!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM

625 posts, read 796,934 times
Quote:

Things we love.
--Mt Charleston.

Things we dont like.

Thank you for the information. I like hearing people's experiences.
Did ya'll have jobs lined up when you got out there or did ya'll just go for it?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,077 times
Quote:

Things we love.
--Mt Charleston.

Things we dont like.

May I ask what area of Henderson? We are considering move back to LV after being gone for 7 years! In Socal. We are considering Henderson. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
.. for the driver issue .. it may be people who are not familiar with the area ..

OR
... you may be behind me when I am hyper-mile-ing

Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,598 times
Am I the only who notices the stop lights in this town? I mean it's unbelievable. They need to be fixed right away. This is totally unacceptable. How many times have you been sitting at a stop light with 8 lanes of opposing traffic just sitting there for upwards of 2-3 minutes while there is no one traveling in the perpendicular lanes. Is any conscience out there or is everyone still in a daze from the economic implosion?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Yes, I love waiting at a stoplight when there's nobody else on the road. Drivers here make SoCal drivers look good. Sure in CA everyone is going 20+ over on the 405 minimum, but at least they stop at red lights. I'm not convinced a red light or stop sign means the same thing here as it does everywhere else. Here red light means hurry up and get through it's only been red 30 seconds.

I barely even ride my street bikes anymore because it's sure to equal death. Before I moved here I put 25,000 miles a year on my bike(s) commuting, splitting lanes the whole way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas