Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I hope its not against TOS to quote yourself, I got a email from SS
asking me to explain the post, and I thought I would share it with yawl.

From wikipedia "It can be variously translated as "Even you,?","And you?", "You too,?", "Thou too,?" or "And thou, ".[1] The whole sentence Immortalized by Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (1599), the quotation is widely used in Western culture to signify the utmost betrayal.

My Words Et, tu, Venti meant "For even you, no coffee"

[Venti, being the size of a cup at StarBucksâ„¢]

Jonathan
Not sure you need the comma between et and tu. In case anyone didn't know, "venti" means "twenty" in Italian ─ e.g. 20 oz. cups.

Et tu, Brute? ─ et tu, Ventí? ─ I got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Not sure you need the comma between et and tu. In case anyone didn't know, "venti" means "twenty" in Italian ─ e.g. 20 oz. cups.

Et tu, Venti = And you? Twenty?

Doesn't really work. Then again, Charbucks tastes like burnt dirt as far as I'm concerned. While I prefer Kenya AA or Rwandan, I've really been enjoying the bejeezus out of the bulk beans I buy over at the Russian Market on Jones and Spring Mountain. Inexpensive, super-caffeinated and oh, so good.

I wonder if the Romans even drank coffee? It was cultivated forever just down below Nubia in present-day Ethiopia at the time. The Romans smoked dope. And they smoked hash. And they did opium. So you'd think coffee would also be on the menu. After all those dope-fueled, wine-guzzling orgies, you'd think they'd need a cup of Joe just to get the day started.

But I've never read anything about coffee consumption before the Arab conquests of the medieval era.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
Actually StarBucks Taste like burnt coffee filtered thru old rotten $100 bills. (from the cost of it)
And HOW THE F*** do they get the water that hot? Water coming out of a nuclear core has to be cooler!
I'm gonna quote my pal Jackie Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Mason View Post

Let's say you want coffee in a coffee shop, that's 60 cents (at the time of this writing). But at Starbucks, if it's Cafe Latte: $3.50. Cafe Creamier: $4.50. Caffe Suisse: $9.50. For each French word it's another four dollars. Why does a little cream in coffee make it worth $3.50?

Go into any coffee shop and they'll give you all the cream you want until you're blue in the face. Forty million people are walking around in coffee shops with jars of cream: "Here's all the cream you want." And it's still 60 cents. And you know why it's 60 cents? Because it's called "coffee."

You want cinnamon in your coffee? Ask for cinnamon in a coffee shop and they'll give you all the cinnamon you want. Do they ask you for more money because it's cinnamon? It's the same price for cinnamon in your coffee as for coffee without cinnamon - 60 cents, that's it.

But not in Starbucks. Oh no, over there, it's Cinnamonnier - $9.50. You want a refill in a regular coffee shop and they'll give you all the refills you want until you drop dead. You can come in when you're 27 and keep drinking coffee until you're 98. And they'll start begging you: "Here, you want more coffee, you want more, you want more?"

Do you know that you can't get a refill at Starbucks? A refill is a dollar fifty and two refills is $4.50. Three refills, $19.50 ... so, for four cups of coffee you're paying $35.00. That's what you're paying it's burnt coffee. It's burnt coffee at Starbucks, let's be honest about it. If you get burnt coffee in a coffee shop, you call a cop and say, "It's the bottom of the pot. I don't drink from the bottom of the pot. But when it's burnt at Starbucks, they say, "Oh, it's a blend, it's a special bean from Argentina....." Want the truth; the bean is in your head.

And there're no chairs in those Starbucks; instead, they have these high stools. Did you ever see these stools? You haven't been on a chair that high since you were two years old. Seventy-six year old Jews are climbing and climbing to get to the top of the chair. And when they get to the top, they can't even drink the coffee because there are 12 people around one little table, and everybody's saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me....." Then they can't get off the chair. Old Jews are begging Gentiles, "Mister, could you get me off this chair?"

Do you remember what a cafeteria was? In poor neighborhoods all over this country, they went to a cafeteria because there were no waiters and no service. And so poor people could save money on a tip. Cafeterias didn't have regular tables or chairs either. They gave coffee to you in a cardboard cup. So because of that you paid less for the coffee. You got less, so you paid less.

That's the way it is in Starbucks - no chairs, no service, a cardboard cup for your coffee - except in Starbucks, the less you get, the more it costs. By the time they give you nothing, it's worth four times as much as the nothing you get in a cafeteria.

Am I exaggerating? Did you ever try to buy a cookie in Starbucks? Buy a cookie in a regular coffee shop; it's huge and you can tear down a building with that cookie. And the whole cookie is 60 cents. At Starbucks, you'll need a magnifying glass to see it, or you're going to have to hire a detective to find it, and it's $9.50. And you can't put butter on it because they want extra for the butter. Did you know that if you buy a bagel, you pay extra for cream cheese in Starbucks?

Cream cheese is another 60 Cents. A knife to put it on, that's 32 cents. If it's long enough to reach the bagel, that's 48 cents. Add up everything and that bagel will eventually cost you $312. And they don't give you the butter or the cream cheese. No, they tell you where it is. "Oh, you want butter? It's over there. Cream cheese? Over here. Sugar? Sugar is there next to the napkins." Now you become your own waiter. You walk around with a tray. "I'll take the cookie. Where's the butter? The butter's here. Where's the cream cheese?

The cream cheese is there." You walked around for an hour and a half selecting items, and then the guy at the cash register has a glass in front of him that says "Tips."

If that's not chutzpah, what is! Here you are, waiting on your own table for an hour, and you owe him money? And then there's a sign that says please clean it up when you're finished.

It's not just that they don't give you a waiter or a busboy; now you've become the janitor. Now you have to start cleaning up the place. Old Jews are walking around cleaning up Starbucks. "Oh, here's another tabe with dirt. Wait, I'll clean this up too." They clean up the place for an hour and a half.

If I said to you, "I have a great idea for a business. I'll open a whole new type of a coffee shop. A whole new type. Instead of 60 cents for coffee I'll charge $2.50, $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. Not only that, I'll have no tables, no chairs, no water, no busboy, and you'll clean it up for 20 minutes after you're finished." Would you say to me, "That's the greatest idea for a business I ever heard? We can open a chain of these all over the world." No, you would put me right into a sanitarium.

Starbucks can only get away with it because they have French titles for everything, bastard sons-of-a-*******. And I say this with the highest respect, because you know, loshon hora, I don't like to talk about people.

Last edited by macgeek; 02-04-2012 at 05:46 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM

460 posts, read 987,792 times
Yep, the biggest problem with Starbucks (other than the price), is that they scald the hell out of it. You would think that a company that specializes in coffee, would know something about how to make coffee. But they don't. If prepared properly, however, I actually think it is pretty good stuff.

With that said, I agree that you can find other brands (local markets, etc.) that cost less, and are very good. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy grinding beans, so I tend to pay for the convenience of pre-ground (yeah, I know...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Then again, Charbucks tastes like burnt dirt as far as I'm concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Actually StarBucks Taste like burnt coffee filtered thru old rotten $100 bills. (from the cost of it)
And HOW THE F*** do they get the water that hot? Water coming out of a nuclear core has to be cooler!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
If you want to meet for coffee how about meeting at Sambalatte or Leone Cafe? Sambalatte is so busy though.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

Oh Buzz...you're such a brute!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Having coffee myself at the moment as usual. So where was this meet supposed to take place geographically? I know a great coffee place that does not scald the hell out of their product.

I make great coffee in my kitchen as well and I am a really good cook and make very good snickerdoodle cookies and chocolate chip cookies or cherry pie, apple pie, banana bread, banana cake, etc....

Last edited by CSD610; 02-04-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Added a few things.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Now everyone has to meet at CSD610's house for coffee and all the goodies. Hope you have ample parking.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I second that!!!!!

Jonathan

Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Now everyone has to meet at CSD610's house for coffee and all the goodies. Hope you have ample parking.

Only about 200+ acres of parking, should be adequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas