Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 PM

74 posts, read 147,913 times

Advertisements

PST zone so I can catch - New York Knicks play - All he does is LIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
I think you'd have a hard time selling the idea of Nevada in the Mountain Time Zone. First of all, are you aware that Reno is further west than Los Angeles?

But possibly the biggest opposition would come from the TV stations. Switching to the MST would really screw with their revenue. I'm sure there are other businesses that would likewise be affected.

Everyone who comes here wants to change things and screw up the things they came here for. Go back to Podunk if you don't like our time zone.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,376 times
what is DST i thought we where on PST..

Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
My idea of switching to Mountain Time and dropping DST is essentially the same thing. This is exactly how Arizona does it, where we are on the same time as Las Vegas and the West Coast during the summer, but an hour later in the winter.
And it's a ROYAL pain if you work with people in other parts of the country not to mention several other annoying reasons. Until every place drops DST, no one should drop it. I've lived in Arizona six years now and this has never become something the people I communicate with regularly can handle.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I think you'd have a hard time selling the idea of Nevada in the Mountain Time Zone. First of all, are you aware that Reno is further west than Los Angeles?

But possibly the biggest opposition would come from the TV stations. Switching to the MST would really screw with their revenue. I'm sure there are other businesses that would likewise be affected.

Everyone who comes here wants to change things and screw up the things they came here for. Go back to Podunk if you don't like our time zone.
I'm not talking about the entire state switching, just the Las Vegas metropolitan area. Don't you want more sun in the winter?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Having part of a state change is very confusing. Ask Indiana. They fixed their situation eventually. And, as someone upthread pointed out, Reno is west of LA. THis idea is a non-starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
what is DST i thought we where on PST..
Daylight Savings Time. When Daylight time is on, effectively March to November, you are on Pacific DAYLIGHT Time.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Why? do we even turn the clocks back anymore!!!! This needs to be changed just think how much energy can be saved and how people can be more productive instead of it being dark by 5:00PM or earlier. During the energy crunch in the early 70's we stopped turning the clocks back for the above reason.
Umm you have it backward.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
The time difference is not going to bother Californians. If they want to come on the weekends they will come. They are not going to say "oh I want to go to Vegas but they changed to MST so I won't". And, without DST, we would match their time half the year anyway.

I think Californians would like the extra light! I would! Maybe the Las Vegans wouldn't, more time to hide in the shadows! Or you can just always get up earlier!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
My idea of switching to Mountain Time and dropping DST is essentially the same thing. This is exactly how Arizona does it, where we are on the same time as Las Vegas and the West Coast during the summer, but an hour later in the winter.

Arizona didn't DO anything to be on Mountain time, they've always been in that zone.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM

280 posts, read 571,987 times
The reason West Wendover, NV switched to Mountain Time officially was 1). Its a whole lot closer to the major city of Salt Lake then Reno. 2). Most residents of the area actually live in Wendover, UT and commuting/walking across the border to work/play was more confusing then they wanted.

The same issue exists in Laughlin/Bullhead City but not as strong as Wendover.

Jackpot, NV (US-93) on the NV/ID border is also officially on Mountain Time. Major city - Twin Falls, also where most of the workers come from. Not a lot of housing in the area.

For me as a truck driver, I have to be careful with Arizona. I do deliver often in Cameron, Kayenta, Window Rock & Page. While Arizona itself is on MST year round, the Navajo Reservation uses Daylight Savings Time, so you have to be knowledgeable as to where the time zone boundaries are.

Last edited by LVNVTrucker; 02-15-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas