U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM

9,043 posts, read 5,222,098 times

Advertisements

Being Christian, I always think of Christ posing as a pauper. Will I slight my brother? I give when it feels right and don't give when I see someone smoking a cigarette and drinking out of paper bag.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:06 PM

904 posts, read 787,536 times
When you give to panhandlers YOU become part of the problem.

Put out a bird feeder and see how quickly the flock grows.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
When you give to panhandlers YOU become part of the problem.

Put out a bird feeder and see how quickly the flock grows.
All well and good but I go with my heart. Jesus posed as a pauper.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:34 PM

7,333 posts, read 5,786,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
All well and good but I go with my heart. Jesus posed as a pauper.
If you believe in that sort of thing.

Why not just give to a church-based soup kitchen, then? I'm sure there are plenty in your area. That way you aren't just providing someone's next fix. You're providing someone's next meal.

Give to a panhandler, and you may as well just give to your local meth dealer. Eliminates the middle-man that way.

I completely agree with tazz. When you give to exit-ramp panhandlers, you become part of the problem. Jesus probably wasn't strung out on dope when allegedly posing as a beggar. The panhandler at the exit ramp almost certainly is.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If you believe in that sort of thing.

Why not just give to a church-based soup kitchen, then? I'm sure there are plenty in your area. That way you aren't just providing someone's next fix. You're providing someone's next meal.

Give to a panhandler, and you may as well just give to your local meth dealer. Eliminates the middle-man that way.

I completely agree with tazz. When you give to exit-ramp panhandlers, you become part of the problem. Jesus probably wasn't strung out on dope when allegedly posing as a beggar. The panhandler at the exit ramp almost certainly is.
I do believe "in that sort of thing." I also give to other charities.

It's not my place on this earth to pass judgement on beggars. I don't know them. I don't know all their stories. When my heart tells me to give, I give. I can't believe that 100% of beggars are alcoholics/drug addicts.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM

4,956 posts, read 3,309,192 times
I appreciate the ones who hold a sign that says "Why lie? I need a beer!" At least they are being honest.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I appreciate the ones who hold a sign that says "Why lie? I need a beer!" At least they are being honest.
I don't give to people who are asking for money to feed addictions.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM

542 posts, read 368,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Not all panhandlers are meth addicts, or addicts of any kind, but you can never really know. My boyfriend helps to run a homeless shelter where the clients have to be sober and he's been told by a few individuals that they choose to spend their daytime hours begging for money. Some are down on their luck and unable to find work so this is what they choose to do.

Personally I hate being asked for money and don't ever contribute. The scariest incident I had was at a gas station where this woman walked up to me after asking and being turned down by several other people. She wouldn't give up when I refused and got very agitated to the point where I was worried she was going to do something very bad. Something startled her and she suddenly left and I was very thankful.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 PM

7,333 posts, read 5,786,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I do believe "in that sort of thing." I also give to other charities.

It's not my place on this earth to pass judgement on beggars. I don't know them. I don't know all their stories. When my heart tells me to give, I give. I can't believe that 100% of beggars are alcoholics/drug addicts.
100%? No. But a high enough percentage are going to take your money to get high as a kite that it's probably bad karma to give at all. Your heart may be in the right place, but you're actually exacerbating the problem.

Go donate time at a food kitchen. Time means more than money, anyway. Anyone can write a check. That's the easy way out.

I've volunteered hundreds of hours. At the end of one of my volunteering shifts, I know I've made a difference. Nobody got high on the food I made. And it went to the people who truly need a hand up. Not a hand out.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM

You miss my point. That beggar might be Jesus. I give when my heart tells me to give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: