U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM

474 posts, read 371,537 times
Default Separate water line for pool?

I hope I'm saying this right, but the auto filler for the pool is on the same line as the rest of the house. How big a deal is it to run a separate line for the auto filler for the pool? Any idea of the cost?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 PM

326 posts, read 829,366 times
Why would you want to, what are you hoping to benefit?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM

This is a second home and I won't be there that often. I would like to turn the water off when I'm not there, in case a water pipe burst etc. But I still need the auto filler for the pool though.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM

6,016 posts, read 4,426,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
This is a second home and I won't be there that often. I would like to turn the water off when I'm not there, in case a water pipe burst etc. But I still need the auto filler for the pool though.
Install a shut off switch right after the pool line breaks off from the main line.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Install a shut off switch right after the pool line breaks off from the main line.
Wow, okay that sounds simple enough. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM

44 posts, read 15,759 times
Quote:
Wow, okay that sounds simple enough. Thanks!
If a more modern home you should have a place in the garage where you can install a cut off for the house. Normally a loop for a water softener is one such place. Often there is another particularly if your water pressure is high.

Hunt around. More convenient than a yard valve and works the same.

Use ball valves by the way. Gate valves all fail eventually...and generally when you need them.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM

361 posts, read 389,129 times
I use this one hooked up to the garden hose bib. Has lasted 3 summers.
Marpac Poolkeeper

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Well I found out I have ONE line running to the house. So it is not possible for me to turn my water off for the house and still keep the auto filler for the pool operational. So I was thinking of other options besides spending thousands of dollars and tearing up my kool deck to run another line.

How feasible would it be to have a company that delivers pool water deliver to me every so often? I realize they usually deliver to fill an entire pool and not just "top" off so often. I just hate leaving the water on all the time while I'm gone. Any ideas or am I just stuck with having to leave it as is?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM

423 posts, read 328,887 times
Quote:
Well I found out I have ONE line running to the house. So it is not possible for me to turn my water off for the house and still keep the auto filler for the pool operational. So I was thinking of other options besides spending thousands of dollars and tearing up my kool deck to run another line.

How feasible would it be to have a company that delivers pool water deliver to me every so often? I realize they usually deliver to fill an entire pool and not just "top" off so often. I just hate leaving the water on all the time while I'm gone. Any ideas or am I just stuck with having to leave it as is?
My understanding is the pool can lose as much as 1" of water a day during the summer months through evaporation. The cost of water delivery would quickly add up.

I believe your best bet would be to pay a plumber for an hour of his time and have him stop by your house and look at your particular situation. He could advise on the best route to accomplish what you are trying to do. Every house is going to be a little different depending on the floor plan, etc.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
My understanding is the pool can lose as much as 1" of water a day during the summer months through evaporation. The cost of water delivery would quickly add up.

I believe your best bet would be to pay a plumber for an hour of his time and have him stop by your house and look at your particular situation. He could advise on the best route to accomplish what you are trying to do. Every house is going to be a little different depending on the floor plan, etc.
Actually I've had TWO plumbers and my pool guy all confirm there's not much I can do. So that's why I was even considering this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas