Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 35,957 times

Advertisements

need help my fellow parents of autistic kids!!!!
i am trying to find the best elementary school in las vegas that deals with autistic children. im not sure she is getting the services avail. to her at the school she is going and now they are wanting to put her in a contained classroom and im so lost as what to do, she is high functioning but is very behind in school, in 3rd grade but really a 1st grade level.
any suggestions or experiences. thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,647,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvettehazel View Post
i am trying to find the best elementary school in las vegas that deals with autistic children. im not sure she is getting the services avail. to her at the school she is going and now they are wanting to put her in a contained classroom and im so lost as what to do, she is high functioning but is very behind in school, in 3rd grade but really a 1st grade level.
What part of town are you in?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 AM

southwest area, she currently goes to wright elem, just had her iep and very upset with what they want to do with her next year.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 AM

901 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
southwest area, she currently goes to wright elem, just had her iep and very upset with what they want to do with her next year.
Unfortunately, your daughter is just another number to the bureaucrats. I doubt you'll get what you're looking for in the public school system anywhere. Have you considered a private school and/or tutoring? I'm sorry I cannot provide a better answer.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,921,631 times
Quote:
I'll ask my wife when she gets home. She specializes in this sort of thing.

If I'm not mistaken, though, the IEP travels with the student. So unless you find another teacher who disagrees with the IEP, it'll be a contained classroom no matter where you go.

I'll bet this plan was drawn up with "the rest of the class" in mind. While a normal classroom environment might be best for your daughter, your daughter may not be what's best for a normal classroom environment.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,439,972 times
Quote:
Take a look here, give them a call, they might be able to point you in the right direction...

http://www.achievementacademy-nv.com...iles/Page2.htm

Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,647,151 times
I spoke with the facilitator at my school. You can get what you want.

DM me.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,921,631 times
My wife says:

1) You can disagree with the placement and call for another IEP.

2) You can revoke all special education services

3) You can look for a zone variance

4) Network with other parents (but obviously, you're already trying)

5) Try to find a school that embraces the inclusion model. My wife's elementary school does.

6) You can DM me, and I'll give you the phone number of a principal who can point you to a better school in your area.

7) There is a parent advocate -- Nevada PEP. Google it. They're helpful, my wife says.

And my wife says, "Is this what's best for your child? Or is this what you want? And what does your child want? Has anyone asked her?" Also, go through your packet of parent's rights. They're supposed to hand you one at every meeting.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM

550 posts, read 633,622 times
I have a friend who raves about the program her son is in at Twitchell Elementary in Henderson, near The District. I think it's one of the most integrative programs around.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM

ok wow alot of info. thank you so much. we have been thru this the last 4 yrs but this is the first that they wanted to move her from her school. one of her teachers made the mistake of saying to me a couple of wks ago that this school is very acedemic driven and "she is just not there" i know she isnt but she deserves to be able to continue to grow in her studies as well as emotionally with her peers. i said i would consider putting her in a contained class if i could go and observe the classroom and they said they couldnt because of hippa. i dont want the kids info i just want to see how the classroom runs. they said its our choice, but that is there where they think she should go.

i so appreciate all your info, i hate ccsd schools anyways as i have 4 other kids without special needs and i just think our system is so very lacking on every level.
a couple of you said to dm you what does that mean lol, im new to this forum so not quite sure what that is.
again i appreciate every one of youl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: