Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 PM

180 posts, read 391,522 times

Advertisements

What does the whole slingbox setup cost?
We might look into the Magicjack option for phone as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM

160 posts, read 284,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2LV View Post

Depends if you get the HD version or the reg version.

I am not up on the prices but think the reg is $179-239 ( cheaper price in USA )

The HD version is maybe $100 more.

If you want clear video and have a fast laptop then maybe get the HD but you need decently fast upload speeds at your original home.

I watched the Canadian Grey Cup in Laughlin but hotels wifi speed was not great but it still worked.

I think it uses about 100 MB data per hour to watch.....

You can buy a US model but just try find the Canadian side of slingbox web site as it has the Canadian cable companies when you set it up.

I have the slingplayer on my iphone too..... can even set my PVR through it.

Sligbox has a forum .... go read some things and learn more.

Brian

Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times
This seems like the long route to get the shows I want when I'm in Las Vegas. I would have to hook the Slingbox to my cable box at home, connect it to my home network, and since I use my phone (4G) for my internet in Las Vegas, hook it to my TV or computer. Both my phone and computer have HDMI plugs. Usually I connect my phone directly to the computer and the speed is pretty good.

Does that sound right?

Or I can call the Antenna Guy and watch the local channels.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM

526 posts, read 832,349 times
I subscribe to HBO and use HBOGO. With that I can watch HBO on PC. Also I have Xfinity cable and can receive that on PC (delayed a few days). I am bringing an HDTV that I can hook up to the PC. For internet access I will use EasyTether with my 4G cell phone. Plus I am going to try the indoor antenna route.
Be there in 2 and 1/2 weeks Will report how it works out

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM

39 posts, read 114,450 times
You can get rabbit ears for under $20, and get quite a few channels including PBS, 3 news channels, 24 hour weather, most popular local channels, and a good movie channel.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Default Ooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2LV View Post
You may want to look at Ooma as well
skugel

Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Default Antenna Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
We just has Antenna Man install an external antenna on the roof. Works great the HD channels are excllent.
If you don't mind, I am curious how may English speaking stations you receive.
skugel

Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
If you don't mind, I am curious how may English speaking stations you receive.
skugel
I would also be curious to know how many non-jesus stations you get.

With my $40 indoor antennae I bought at frys I get about 10 stations. 8, a couple of spanish and 6 or 7 jesus channels.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
There are around 50 channels. You get all the local channels and also a movie and music channel.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM

611 posts, read 950,790 times
I talked to Telus here in BC (Canada) and the techie said I can't use a Slingbox with my Telus Satellite HDPVR...so sad. We don't have fibre-optic lines yet and only have BC Wireless internet which is in-between dial up and high speed city-internet. I assume you have to have Telus Optik tv to use a slingbox. If anybody can provide me more information thanks. I guess I'll just try the indoor antenna when I get down there in May. Was going to try living without internet and just check my email at PT's Pub as I hear they have wireless access for their patrons. Good excuse for this girl to get out for a margarita every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: