U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM

710 posts, read 622,527 times
I find ovals boring - so I'd be at this track in a flash! Sure hope it succeeds.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 PM

7,353 posts, read 5,849,164 times
How about instead of copying everything, we design and build our own track -- something that blows the Nürburgring away? Look down the strip. It's as if we're ashamed to be Las Vegas, and instead want to be France or Italy.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM

237 posts, read 204,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
How about instead of copying everything, we design and build our own track -- something that blows the Nürburgring away? Look down the strip. It's as if we're ashamed to be Las Vegas, and instead want to be France or Italy.

Building LV unique track? Yes
There's one in Pahrump but it's a private track or something, Miller Motorsports park in Utah. If there's a similar track built by LVMS that would be even better but it would have to have some things that Miller doesn't.
Copying the ring? Maybe.
Creating something to blow the Ring away? Impossible.

There aren't that many new tracks/circuits built in the past 20 years that's even remotely notable.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 PM

248 posts, read 802,889 times
Sign me up!!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,808,338 times
With money anything can happen, I hope this dream comes true.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
PDD

5,971 posts, read 6,294,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post

Brutton, create one big parking lot size run off area at the first right turn as many american racing fans don't know what a right turn is on a track.
I disagree, the NASCAR fans at Watkins Glen (all 100,000K+ of them) seem to know what right turns are. Same with the fans at Sanoma CA.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 AM

547 posts, read 496,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The Nürburgring is probably the most famous track in the world (the only exception might be Indy).

I don't think its about "copying" it. I think the plan is more to the effect of "Come to Vegas, instead of Germany, to drive on the most famous track in the world".

What IS Vegas? I mean, to me anyway (Only been here 5 years), Paris, and NYNY, and the Venetian ARE what Vegas is. Its not that we're trying to be other things. Its that we can be anything. We can give the impression of Venice, for a short time, to people that don't want to go to Italy. And, if you go to Venice today, you can go to Rome tomorrow, and Paris the next day.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 AM

8,696 posts, read 7,104,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
The Nürburgring is probably the most famous track in the world (the only exception might be Indy).

I don't think its about "copying" it. I think the plan is more to the effect of "Come to Vegas, instead of Germany, to drive on the most famous track in the world".

What IS Vegas? I mean, to me anyway (Only been here 5 years), Paris, and NYNY, and the Venetian ARE what Vegas is. Its not that we're trying to be other things. Its that we can be anything. We can give the impression of Venice, for a short time, to people that don't want to go to Italy. And, if you go to Venice today, you can go to Rome tomorrow, and Paris the next day.
+1

Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 AM

74 posts, read 78,829 times
I think Vegas track would only be utilize during the cold months because running cars during July, August is crazy. At 110 degrees there is no horsepower to produce, a prius might just pass you by on the track! :-)

Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 AM

11,604 posts, read 20,598,480 times
I love it when people want the BLM to give away all of our wilderness just because there's a lot of land in Nevada. 8,000 acres here, 8,000 acres there ...pretty soon we're like an eastern state with no place to go to get lost and die alone but happy.

"A man could be a lover and defender of wilderness without ever in his lifetime leaving the boundaries of asphalt, power lines, and right-angled surfaces. We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it. We need a refuge even though we may never need to go there. I may never get there. We need the possibility of escape as surely as we need hope: without it the life of the cities would drive all men into crime or drugs or psychoanalysis." Edward Abbey

Abbey also said this: If industrial man continues to multiply his numbers and expand his operations he will succeed in his apparent intention, to seal himself off from the natural and isolate himself within a synthetic prison of his own making. He will make himself an exile from the earth and then will know at last, if he is still capable of feeling anything, the pain and agony of final loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas