U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM

4,950 posts, read 3,299,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
it's because farrrr to many people move to Las vegas with stars in their eyes, only to find that they can't handle the heat, can't handle the 24 hour lifestyle, can't handle the close proximity to gaming, etc etc etc.

We get tired of building relationships and making friends that can't handle the above and leave.....

SOOOOo to coin an olde gamblers phrase[or two]......Money talks bullcrap walks. and Put your money where your mouth is....
I guess I am just different. I think some people come into our lives for a short time and some for a long time. It's just life. :::shrug::: A friend that I no longer am speaking to was the one that got me to go to Vegas in the first place. I'm sad the friendship is over, but I guess she did what she was meant to do and we've moved on. I wouldn't not try to build a friendship with someone just because I thought they might move on later. I live more in the now than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,884,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Oh Dyn!!!!
Hope you are polishing my Las Vegas resident badge off and getting ready to present it to me at some really cool ceremony.
I have a decent apartment now.
I have a decent job now
I have learned my way around the entire valley
I have learned to pronounce Nevada properly
The only thing left is your challenge to make it through a summer here Summer is coming in a few short months and in Sept I will proudly accept the Las Vegas resident badge from you! LOL

Oh, and my son and his wife have moved into their own place so I am experiencing it all on my own. (proud beam!)
Congrats Sarah! I wish I remember that feeling, of making it my goal to move to Las Vegas, then arriving, getting settled and into a routine and having that feeling of accomplishment.

I don't remember the same experince of my own too well, it was so long ago and I was just a young girl, but I know the excitement of achieving a goal and fulfilling a dream. I've been here so long, I think I'm part of the landscape. But I do remember that once I arrived I knew there would never be another place in all the world I'd rather live in than here. And Las Vegas, back then, was so much different than the Las Vegas of today, but the appeal was still there, all those years ago!

Enjoy your success, as others have said, summer is something you need to live through in order to know if you can tolerate it (but I bet you'll love it!) have some fun and I wish you even more successes my dear!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Me either, hence the confused smiley.

My wife is from Vegas, we own a house in Vegas, I work full time in Vegas, one of my daughters go to school in Vegas, I do part-time property management in Vegas, have lots of in-laws in Vegas...blah, blah, blah...............

...yet I still feel as if I'm new to Vegas and still have a lot ot discover/figure out. Maybe its just me.

Maybe after 10 years I will feel like a local.
Maybe it's because you spend too much time in Afghanistan.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM

7,347 posts, read 5,772,124 times
Quote:

My wife is from Vegas, we own a house in Vegas, I work full time in Vegas, one of my daughters go to school in Vegas, I do part-time property management in Vegas, have lots of in-laws in Vegas...blah, blah, blah...............

...yet I still feel as if I'm new to Vegas and still have a lot ot discover/figure out. Maybe its just me.

We all know Las Vegas' tourism motto. Maybe we need a residential motto, as well.

"Las Vegas: We'll make you feel like a stranger."

Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 4,383,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the smart researchers at UNLV once told us that, per their surveys (they survey every little detail of Las Vegas every day), no one believes you're going to stay until you've been here two years, and that you're not considered a local until after five years. That was before the massive invasion, but I have no reason to believe it has changed much. If anything, it would probably be longer periods, not shorter ones.

So jew doone get no stinkin batches jet.
So true, I met way too many people like Davie who seemed to be doing everything to stick around and yet in the 12-18 month period something else beckoned where they came from or in another boomtown. For most people though the first year of Vegas feels like five years in the town they came from. But without a doubt summer is the real qualifier for most people's longevity test. Late August and the heat's still on and the fatigue really can set in for many a new resident.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM

314 posts, read 203,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Oh Dyn!!!!
Hope you are polishing my Las Vegas resident badge off and getting ready to present it to me at some really cool ceremony.
I have a decent apartment now.
I have a decent job now
I have learned my way around the entire valley
I have learned to pronounce Nevada properly
The only thing left is your challenge to make it through a summer here Summer is coming in a few short months and in Sept I will proudly accept the Las Vegas resident badge from you! LOL

Oh, and my son and his wife have moved into their own place so I am experiencing it all on my own. (proud beam!)
Congrats! Glad youre smooth sailing in Las Vegas...I feel like i read in an earlier thread that your daughter in law went to Paul Mitchell for hairschool. How did everything work out for her in Las Vegas job wise? Reason I ask is when we move out there, my gf is starting hair school. Thank you and Congrats!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM

471 posts, read 418,074 times
Coming up on my third year! Still "luving" Vegas. Until July hits, thank God for AC.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:56 PM

11,553 posts, read 20,476,787 times
Quote:

....and in ten years you two WILL understand it. But some things can't be explained, they have to be experienced.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
it's because farrrr to many people move to Las vegas with stars in their eyes, only to find that they can't handle the heat, can't handle the 24 hour lifestyle, can't handle the close proximity to gaming, etc etc etc.

We get tired of building relationships and making friends that can't handle the above and leave.....

SOOOOo to coin an olde gamblers phrase[or two]......Money talks bullcrap walks. and Put your money where your mouth is....
Which when you think about it is the reason it is hard to make friends here. People don't want to invest too much of their affinity in relationships with others who will soon disappear from their lives.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 PM

But we're glad you're here now SS.

Stick around, learn as much as you can about the state, and you'll eventually call yourself a Nevadan. When that happens, we'll call you one too. Remember, there's a lot more to it than just the Las Vegas Valley.

Nevada = 110,622 square miles, 2.7 million people.

Germany = 137, 847 sq miles, 81.8 million people.

We love our freedoms and wide open spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas