U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM

9,488 posts, read 13,655,585 times

Advertisements

Food Network has a new show called Restaurant Stakeout wherein a New York restauranteur travels around the country to help owners improve the service at their own restaurant. He and his crew set up surveillance cameras and then he watches the staff in action (both the front and back of the house).

This week's episode is all about Firefly and I couldn't believe what I was watching. A waitress getting into an argument with a customer, throwing a towel at her and then lying about it to the manager; a customer who asked that leftovers be wrapped up in a "doggie bag" giving the plate to a food runner who then proceeds to eat from the plate in the kitchen before putting the remains into the styrofoam container; other kitchen help eating from plates before they are given to customers; and just all around rotten service and attitudes from the majority of the restaurant's staff.

Here's a synopsis of the program:

From the Top Down : Restaurant Stakeout : Food Network

I haven't been to the Sahara location, but I'm curious how many of the staff are still there. One person was fired during the filming and a couple of others have their faces blurred on screen so I assume that means that they didn't give their permission to be identified and that they're gone as well.

The episode will be repeated tomorrow at 6:00 for those interested in watching.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM

762 posts, read 1,460,149 times
I liked that place too

Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,895,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Food Network has a new show called Restaurant Stakeout wherein a New York restauranteur travels around the country to help owners improve the service at their own restaurant. He and his crew set up surveillance cameras and then he watches the staff in action (both the front and back of the house).

This week's episode is all about Firefly and I couldn't believe what I was watching. A waitress getting into an argument with a customer, throwing a towel at her and then lying about it to the manager; a customer who asked that leftovers be wrapped up in a "doggie bag" giving the plate to a food runner who then proceeds to eat from the plate in the kitchen before putting the remains into the styrofoam container; other kitchen help eating from plates before they are given to customers; and just all around rotten service and attitudes from the majority of the restaurant's staff.

I haven't been to the Sahara location, but I'm curious how many of the staff are still there. One person was fired during the filming and a couple of others have their faces blurred on screen so I assume that means that they didn't give their permission to be identified and that they're gone as well.

You know, this place is packed, day and night and waiting times to get in on weekends is over an hour long!!

I've been to the Sahara location twice, only because friends just HAD to go there.

NOT THAT GREAT, in my opinion and MY opinion only I don't think the food at this location has good presentation, is tasty or prepared well, and on both visits we got our orders and they were cool to the touch when they should have been hot, no doubt, having sat there waiting for the food runner or waiter to bring it over to us. Maybe it's the idea of several little plates of appetizers for dinner is the appeal to those folks and lots of families.

Some of my friends love the novelty of Firefly, a couple others were on the same page as I, we like the cuisine, but this place didn't represent it well as far as my opinion goes.

Last edited by MomMom; 03-16-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

351 posts, read 787,818 times
Everything negative that you've already read in these posts reflect my thoughts exactly. Snobbiest servers I've ever encountered & I'd never recommend anything about the place, including blah food.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

787 posts, read 1,667,805 times
Quote:

That's hilarious, thanks for the heads-up. I went to the Sahara location once. I liked it. I'll go again. The statistical likelihood of having a bad experience is probably pretty small. If I personally get terrible service, though, I'll certainly bring it to management's attention.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

9,488 posts, read 13,655,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
If I personally get terrible service, though, I'll certainly bring it to management's attention.
If you want good service, make sure to go with a couple of pretty women. One other vignette from the show I forgot to mention was that they sent in a couple of pretty girls to flirt with the staff to see if they could get free drinks. They flirted with a manager and that's exactly what happened. Moreover, he even volunteered to remove one of the food items from their bill in addition to giving them free drinks.

I wonder if he's still there as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,667,805 times
Quote:
If you want good service, make sure to go with a couple of pretty women. One other vignette from the show I forgot to mention was that they sent in a couple of pretty girls to flirt with the staff to see if they could get free drinks. They flirted with a manager and that's exactly what happened. Moreover, he even volunteered to remove one of the food items from their bill in addition to giving them free drinks.

I wonder if he's still there as well.

Heh... Not that I approve, but this stuff goes on everywhere. I have some colleagues who used to work in some fairly high-end restaurants in New York, and they note that some pretty unfortunate things routinely go on in most food service establishments. You could probably do similar exposes at nearly any high-volume place.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,078,218 times
Got that whole series set on my dvr along with triple d and restaurant impossible. That is some setup he installs to watch the staff.

I haven't been to Firefly yet, I'll put it on my last resort eatery.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM

9,880 posts, read 9,744,037 times
I love this show!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,455,793 times
Who dines in an establishment with the word "fly" in it's name?

"Oh honey, why don't we try "La Cucaracha" tonight?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas