Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 PM

901 posts, read 1,897,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
OK, what about, The shooter, taking his gun, making the kid lie down on the ground with his gun pointed at any part of the kids body, pulling out his cell phone and calling Metro?

why shoot the kid? -- no matter what, who, your not a psychic.. why use deadly force if your not being threatened? if he had a weapon, or a knife or any threat.. yes shoot, and shoot to kill.

But If I see someone in my yard, there trying to break into my house... My first impulse call the cops
then I get Mr. Trigger, open the window with it pointing at the perp, and say.. I suggest you lie down on the ground and dont even think about flinching or there will be several bullet holes in you..
and my garden needs a good watering.

Just saying..

Jonathan
It's pretty easy to play Monday morning quarterback from the comfort of your (un-buglarized) home. No one really knows what they would do or how they would feel until they are in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
It's pretty easy to play Monday morning quarterback from the comfort of your (un-buglarized) home. No one really knows what they would do or how they would feel until they are in this situation.
Yes, fear has a peculiar ability to make the mind shut up very quickly. Most people would likely become like a scared animal despite their best efforts to tell you afterwards how much more highly evolved they are.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM

579 posts, read 997,003 times
Quote:
But If I see someone in my yard, there trying to break into my house... My first impulse call the cops
I have called metro twice since I moved to Las Vegas.

1) Two people putting handbills on doors were looking in the windows of my house. I have sunscreens and blinds. They were on their knees looking through the crack of the blinds where they touched the window frame. I scared them away, but they did not leave the area as they continued to put handbills on doors and prowl the area for at least another hour. Metro no showed.

2) Two people were going through people's garbage and recycling one night. They were also looking over the walls into people's backyard. This was late at night. Metro no showed.

I know they are underfunded, more the reason to be prepared to defend yourself. There is no guarantee they will come.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM

542 posts, read 985,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
It seems, both from the news, and some of the post of this thread, that its much easier to "Monday Morning Quarterback" shooting, than it is to think rationally about the situation...

Scary.

Surely I'm not the only one who is disturbed by the thought of Step 1 of defending yourself is to shoot someone?

Last edited by m73m95; 03-24-2012 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM

63 posts, read 103,048 times
If I shot and killed this clown I would sleep just fine, if I second guessed myself and ran him off just to have him come back and something happened to my family or neighbors when I wasn't around I would lose sleep. Or if I just wounded him and he came back to retaliate I would lose sleep. I guess I am a little heartless but if someone is trying to hurt me or rob me I have no problem taking there life and sleeping fine.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,940,858 times
...speaking from true experience? Otherwise you really do not know. You can only assume. I do understand the anger part, it is really horrifying, but right or wrong killing someone has to just play on your mind. For a while anyway.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 AM

222 posts, read 385,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckpants View Post
If I shot and killed this clown I would sleep just fine, if I second guessed myself and ran him off just to have him come back and something happened to my family or neighbors when I wasn't around I would lose sleep. Or if I just wounded him and he came back to retaliate I would lose sleep. I guess I am a little heartless but if someone is trying to hurt me or rob me I have no problem taking there life and sleeping fine.
You're not heartless at all. I feel the same way. In fact, I take things one step further and offer my thanks to the homeowner who assured (in the only absolute way possible) that this loser will never be out victimizing hard-working people and families again, mine included. One less scumbag to worry about.

There's a (sickeningly, in my opinion) pervasive attitude amongst many that all life is precious. You can call me callous, or whatever other names you want, but I simply don't believe that's true. This kid, regardless of his "life situation," had built an existence entirely upon being a parasite unto others, contributed absolutely nothing to society as a whole, and as far as I'm concerned, the world is a better place now that he's gone.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 AM

542 posts, read 985,984 times
Trigger happy people scare me WAY more than any common thief.

Last edited by m73m95; 03-25-2012 at 01:07 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Trigger happy people scare me WAY more than any common thief.
There are tons of crime statistics available for murders, robberies, burglaries, rapes, home invasions, etc. But, where are the crime statistics for so-called 'trigger happy' people?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM

40 posts, read 117,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
The story is being fleshed out now. Looks like a clear case of B&E/larceny/attempted home invasion.
Police identify 19-year-old slain in Summerlin backyard - News - ReviewJournal.com

The criminal's name was Demarcus Carter and he has a clear record of this kind of behavior in his brief 1-year ADULT crime record (no record of his juvenile offenses... of course):
Carter, Demarcus | Inmate Arrest Record | Clark County, Nevada, Las Vegas

Now I really feel bad for the 50-something shooter. He moves into a "safe" neighborhood and now has to clean up that bloody mess on his back porch. Poor guy.

They don't identify the resident/shooter in the above article and yet they flash his address so that anyone anywhere (and I'm in Virginia Beach now) can see where he lives?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas