Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The thread has gone from "hell yeah, another lowlife off the grid" to "I hope I get on that jury so I can acquit" to "maybe a little restraint was in order."
Kindly point out where I said anything resembling The first two statements in the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV
And whenever you're presented with ideas that don't square with your interpretation of the limited facts available, you resort to critiquing debate skills, quoting statute, tossing out Latin legalese, and playing the "I'm the responsible adult here" card. You're no Marcus Tullius Cicero, either.
I'm sorry. Were we not debating whether this shooting was justified? Was I not presenting relevant facts while others chose to answer my questions with absurd questions of their own that added nothing to the discussion? The statute was relevant. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not is of no consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV
Just because you have an opinion doesn't make yours the informed opinion or the best opinion. We don't know what happened exactly in that back yard that day. Much is left to conjecture. And facts may come out that make this debate moot. But based on what we know, the "how about being a bit more cautious before using deadly force" group has not needed to update or amend their position.

The "vigilante crowd" is softening their violent rhetoric based on what what we know.
My opinion is informed based on my experience with use of force. Were we in a court of law my opinion would be more relevant in a discussion of this type due to my experience with use of force than others that apparently can't answer simple questions about the elements of the use of force. The fact that you can't understand that, despite your apparent intelligence, leads me to believe that you are being deliberately obtuse. Am I saying that my opinion is more valid than yours? Absolutely not, as you have every right to your opinion. I will state that if you don't know anything about the use of force, however, your opinion may very well be misinformed. And you have every right to a misinformed opinion.

Again, kindly point out this violent rhetoric that I previously posted. Pay special attention to the parts where I said anything other than the homeowner, based on what was reported, was legally justified to shoot. Based on my position regarding what I know about the Trayvon Martin case, how can you in good conscience continue to refer to me as a vigilante or having a mob mentality? Don't you feel that is a bit disingenous? So long as it helps you win the argument the ends justify the means though, right?

Don't bother responding. I'm done with this. You won't change my mind and I certainly won't change yours. Contrary to everything I have posted you continue to question my objectivity while labeling me as some kind of kill em all gun nut. You know nothing about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
We all know it's easy to armchair quarterback or second guess after the fact. However, I know that at 9:30 (read: broad daylight) am with someone in close enough view to hit with a handgun I can emphatically state that I would NOT have shot the individual. I don't think that YOU would have shot the individual either. Why? Probably because you know what you're doing.
I would not have. Even though there is no duty to retreat in this state my first reaction would be to move my family into the back bedroom and dial 911. Why? It's not an issue of morality or what I feel is right regardless of the law. It is an issue of tactics and the subsequent legal aftermath of what would happen in a deadly force encounter. My hallway is a fatal funnel. My firearms and ammo are stored in my master closet. There is a large cast iron tub in my master bath (more bullet resistant than drywall). There is ready egress in my master bath. And of course the fact that the issue of prosecution wouldn't even come up if I were to retreat and the assailant pursued me into my bedroom in the back of my house.

Of course that's just me.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Kindly point out where I said anything resembling The first two statements in the quote.
I said the THREAD has progressed from "another lowlife" to "maybe restraint is in order." Read more carefully, please.

You are not the only person participating in this thread.

Quote:
I'm sorry. Were we not debating whether this shooting was justified?
Yes, and your first foray into the thread was to quote statute as to why the shooting was legal. You didn't get into whether it was justified until much later.

Quote:
My opinion is informed based on my experience with use of force.
And mine is based on my experience reading police reports for a living. But I don't feel the need to insert that into nearly every reply. In fact, I think it's the first time I've brought it up.

Quote:
And you have every right to a misinformed opinion.
My opinion (from all the way back to post #2 on this thread) has been that restraint might have ended this situation with everyone involved alive. How is that misinformed?

And it's comments like this, and the feigned outrage that shines through in your posts that get you replies peppered with emoticons.

Quote:
Don't bother responding. I'm done with this.
This isn't the first time you've said this. Reminds me of the old Dan Hicks song, "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away."

Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM

40 posts, read 69,257 times
Moral of the story, stay out of peoples back yards cause you might get shot

Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
I would not have. Even though there is no duty to retreat in this state my first reaction would be to move my family into the back bedroom and dial 911. Why? It's not an issue of morality or what I feel is right regardless of the law. It is an issue of tactics and the subsequent legal aftermath of what would happen in a deadly force encounter. My hallway is a fatal funnel. My firearms and ammo are stored in my master closet. There is a large cast iron tub in my master bath (more bullet resistant than drywall). There is ready egress in my master bath. And of course the fact that the issue of prosecution wouldn't even come up if I were to retreat and the assailant pursued me into my bedroom in the back of my house.

Of course that's just me.
I blame it all on video games. You've been playing too much MW3.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 PM

542 posts, read 986,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
moral of the story, stay out of peoples back yards cause you might get shot
Ahh... 10-4

Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 AM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
It's now a week since the incident, and it seems to have dropped out of the news. There's been no announcement that charges have been filed, or that the DA has formally decided not to. But I'm making the assumption that no news means that DA has no interest.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM

579 posts, read 997,096 times
For those that were ready to hang the resident, he was cleared:

Prosecutors: Summerlin backyard intruder was killed in self-defense - Las Vegas Sun

Quote:
Owens said evidence — including that Carter was shot on the front of his body — supported the resident’s claim that he felt threatened by the suspect. The resident, whose identity has not been released, said Carter continued attempting to enter the home after the two made eye contact, Owens said.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
That's definitely the right call by the prosecutor's office. At least we the taxpayers don't have to pay for his room and board. Oh, and cable TV, medical bills, work out facilities etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
OF COURSE he was cleared.
He did nothing wrong.
Good for him!
Hope he can move forward with his life and forget this whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas