Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM

611 posts, read 950,982 times

Advertisements

Remind me not to drink to much and stumble into a yard in Summerlin...

Excerpts from the article: Gunfire erupted Tuesday morning in a normally quiet Summerlin neighborhood as a homeowner fatally shot an intruder in his backyard, Metro Police said. Metro spokesman Bill Cassell said the male homeowner called 911 at 9:25 a.m. to report the incident in the 2100 block of Spurs Court, near Hualapai Way and Sahara Avenue.
The homeowner told detectives he fired shots at the male, who he believed was trying to break into his home through the backyard, Cassell said. Gunfire struck the intruder in the backyard, where he died, Cassell said. It's unclear whether the intruder was armed. The homeowner has not been arrested. Metro spokesman Jay Rivera said use of force is considered reasonable — both for citizens and police — when a person feels an action must be taken to protect his life or others’ from serious injury or death.

Here's the whole article from Las Vegas Sun: Backyard intruder shot, killed in Summerlin, Metro reports - Las Vegas Sun

Last edited by binionrat; 03-21-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,989,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
Remind me not to drink to much and stumble into a yard in Summerlin...

Excerpts from the article: Gunfire erupted Tuesday morning in a normally quiet Summerlin neighborhood as a homeowner fatally shot an intruder in his backyard, Metro Police said. Metro spokesman Bill Cassell said the male homeowner called 911 at 9:25 a.m. to report the incident in the 2100 block of Spurs Court, near Hualapai Way and Sahara Avenue.
The homeowner told detectives he fired shots at the male, who he believed was trying to break into his home through the backyard, Cassell said. Gunfire struck the intruder in the backyard, where he died, Cassell said. It's unclear whether the intruder was armed. The homeowner has not been arrested. Metro spokesman Jay Rivera said use of force is considered reasonable — both for citizens and police — when a person feels an action must be taken to protect his life or others’ from serious injury or death.

Horribly written article. Gunfire did not strike the intruder. Bullets did. And how can it be "unclear" if the intruder was armed? Either he was or he wasn't. Why isn't that in the report?

Somehow I get the feeling that the homeowner did not shoot as a last resort. Just a wild guess on my part. But there's been a spate of these sorts of incidents lately. I think the country is going all Bernie Goetz for some reason. We'll see.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
I though Summerlin was supposed to be safe.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,469,933 times
Burglers go where there stuff worth stealing.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:07 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I think the country is going all Bernie Goetz for some reason.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I fully supported Bernie Goetz.

If the police won't (or can't) do their job, people should be allowed to shoot to protect themselves. Don't criminals in Nevada understand this is the WORST state to try to victimize someone? I mean the gun laws here are SOOO lenient and CCW permits so prevalent, that one would have to be a complete idiot to take a chance that their next victim won't fight back.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
Burglars be warned!!! We are armed and dangerous!!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
The story is being fleshed out now. Looks like a clear case of B&E/larceny/attempted home invasion.
Police identify 19-year-old slain in Summerlin backyard - News - ReviewJournal.com

The criminal's name was Demarcus Carter and he has a clear record of this kind of behavior in his brief 1-year ADULT crime record (no record of his juvenile offenses... of course):
Carter, Demarcus | Inmate Arrest Record | Clark County, Nevada, Las Vegas

Now I really feel bad for the 50-something shooter. He moves into a "safe" neighborhood and now has to clean up that bloody mess on his back porch. Poor guy.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
The story is being fleshed out now. Looks like a clear case of B&E/larceny/attempted home invasion.
Police identify 19-year-old slain in Summerlin backyard - News - ReviewJournal.com

The criminal's name was Demarcus Carter and he has a clear record of this kind of behavior in his brief 1-year ADULT crime record (no record of his juvenile offenses... of course):
Carter, Demarcus | Inmate Arrest Record | Clark County, Nevada, Las Vegas

Now I really feel bad for the 50-something shooter. He moves into a "safe" neighborhood and now has to clean up that bloody mess on his back porch. Poor guy.
Doesn't the police department have a clean up crew for crime scenes?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 PM

347 posts, read 542,419 times
Saw this on the news Ch13. The lady said this is summerlin it's not supposed to happen here. No burglaries and no gun shots are part of the CC&R. Oh and her husband is in the fire department so this is especially appalling. LOL lady I didn't know Summerlin had rules against burglaries but no rule about being a sheep! The real estate sales person told YOU there's no crime in summerlin, they didn't tell that to the criminals.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
I was staying real close to this and cops had cordoned off the area. Since I was in a rental car with out of state plates they wouldnt let me in. Wouldnt say what was going on, but sure wanted to ask me a lot of questions as if I somehow knew something. They finally said things would be cleaned up in a few hours to come back then. Did sem surreal for that part of town, I figured some guy was going to kill himself or had his family hostage. You dont expect random crime around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas