U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,354,744 times
MadManofBethesda. Thank you very much for those links. They are lovely. Just what I like. I suppose the HOA fees vary from community to community within the development. Can you give me some kind of range? I am straying now. I can see that.
As this will be my last house, I wanted to keep money outlay conservative and my monthly expenses conservative, as I have a son who I have to provide for when I'm gone (long story) So my biggest worry is having enough money to sustain him for his life time, so his monthly expenses of the house are a concern. So really, I am buying for him. That's why I chose Nevada. No income state taxes, lower RE taxes. Want to make his monthly nut as low as possible. I know in the end, I can be happy with a small place, as long as I can make it to my liking, and the neighborhood is safe. You can always change the house, but you can't change the neighborhood.

You know how it goes. I have two little people sitting on each shoulder arguing with each other. Of course, as always. I usually try to have my head rule, but sometimes your heart can be so persistent. In the end, hopefully, my head will win.

I think I was dreaming about your house last night. Only it was me sitting on a chase near the pool! I think I am more of a outside beauty person when it comes to homes, because I know I am very good at decorating inside, so I have no problem ripping the house apart, but not so talented in the landscaping part. And of course large trees take a long time to grow.

I bought my second home in Phoenix based just on the landscaping and outside design of the house. It had spectacular landscaping. So I ripped the house apart. Can bougainvillea grow in Vegas? I'm thinking they can't because it gets too cold in the winter. Just don't remember seeing any. Probably not, cause I remember a real cold spell in Phoenix last year and my gardener telling me some might not make it.

Buzz123. I understand. That makes sense. I just thought there might be some reason I should know about, because looking on line I see mostly no landscaping in the back at all. I guess I don't feel as confident about my outside landscaping skills as I do my inside decorating skills. When I moved into the small place I'm at now in Fl. (It is a villa attached home with large front lawn area and decent size back yard) I remodeled the inside, then could not live with the outside. So I thought I'd spruce it up with adding some landscaping. I figured it might cost me about $8,000, but I was a bit off! It is definitely the prettiest landscaping in the development, but made lots of mistakes. Planting trees and plants too close together. I can't tell you how many trees and scrubs I have had to take out. My next door neighbor's landscaping sure improved with all my mistakes. Well, at least now I know better.

Last edited by modhatter; 03-26-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM

5,165 posts, read 5,842,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
MadManofBethesda. Thank you very much for those links. They are lovely. Just what I like. I suppose the HOA fees vary from community to community within the development. Can you give me some kind of range? I am straying now. I can see that.
As this will be my last house, I wanted to keep money outlay conservative and my monthly expenses conservative, as I have a son who I have to provide for when I'm gone (long story) So my biggest worry is having enough money to sustain him for his life time, so his monthly expenses of the house are a concern.
I'm sorry, I completely forgot about your other thread about wanting to keep HOA fees to a minimum. Unfortunately, Spanish Trail won't work for you then because the HOA fees run about $450 - $600 a month, depending upon the subdivision. (I know that is high, but the HOA here takes care of everything includes some items that most HOAs do not. For example, just last week I had my tile roof redone and last year they painted my house.)

I'm sure if you keep looking you'll find a house with great landscaping that will meet your criteria. Best wishes.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM

No problem. I figured as much after I looked up the community online and saw the average cost of homes there. Those fees are certainly in line with the community. Thank you for your time and information.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM

40 posts, read 33,674 times
MadMan awesome yard!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
No problem. I figured as much after I looked up the community online and saw the average cost of homes there. Those fees are certainly in line with the community. Thank you for your time and information.
The average price can be misleading because their are subdivisions (such as those I linked to earlier) where the homes are in the $200k range and there are other sections where the homes are in the $2 million range. Unfortunately, the HOA fees are high throughout Spanish Trail, regardless of where one lives.

Another area of Las Vegas that you might like is Peccole Ranch. We did some house-hunting in there a couple of years ago and I really liked how landscaped the area is. A lot of open green space and many walking trails throughout the area. Here is a link to a home for sale that might suit your needs:

1625 British Cup Dr Las Vegas NV - Foreclosure for Sale - MLS #1230704 - Realtor.com®

It is a 3br/3ba sfh with a nice pool in the backyard. It's a foreclosure and is for sale for only $164,900. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that the HOA fees are under $100/month.

EDIT: Just noticed that that listing has a contigent offer on it, but it still gives you an idea of what homes are like in that neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldad View Post
MadMan awesome yard!
Thank you. The yard and the pool area was a major part of what sold us on the house.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM

MadMan. I printed the listing out so when I come out in May I will look in that development. I put that zip code in (of course I know there is great variation in zip codes) and found this one. Really pretty and lush with great pool and back yard. It's called the Bluffs, and is just below Peccole Ranch.

Maybe development is not as nice, but house is sure pretty.

9408 Salt Water CT Las Vegas NV - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1192344 - Realtor.com®

Here's another one I like. Nice house (but two story) but great trees and back yard.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7_M24520-64795

Last edited by modhatter; 03-27-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
This house is in a development called The Lakes, which shares the same 89117 zip as Peccole Ranch and also is a very nice development. I like the house and the backyard/pool area. I hope you noted that similar to the house I linked to, this one also is already under contract with a contingent offer. But at least now you have a couple of other neighborhoods to explore besides Summerlin.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 AM

666 posts, read 886,530 times
Quote:
MadMan. I printed the listing out so when I come out in May I will look in that development. I put that zip code in (of course I know there is great variation in zip codes) and found this one. Really pretty and lush with great pool and back yard. It's called the Bluffs, and is just below Peccole Ranch.

Maybe development is not as nice, but house is sure pretty.

9408 Salt Water CT Las Vegas NV - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1192344 - Realtor.com®

Here's another one I like. Nice house (but two story) but great trees and back yard.
1720 Winners Cup Dr Las Vegas NV - Foreclosure for Sale - MLS #1210205 - Realtor.com®

The second house is one that faces the paseos in Peccole Ranch. It nice to have as long as you dont mind seeing people walking/jogging while you are in your backyard (You could always add plants that work as a privacy screen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas