Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

If anything, there is a reverse-racism and reverse-snobbery theme on this board when it comes to Summerlin. Every time someone mentions Summerlin, people who don't live there - - especially people who live on the east side of town - - claim that the only people who live in Summerlin, or want to live in Summerlin, are in effect closet racists who only live there to get away from the brown and black people of Las Vegas.

It is a totally ridiculous assertion and one that I'm really getting tired of seeing from otherwise intelligent members of this online community.

And I don't even live there.
I wouldnt say there is reverse racism or snobbery, I just think that people on this board are passionate about the Las Vegas area and hate to see people getting target fixated on Summerlin (or Henderson for that matter) when there other great places to live that might fit their situation better. Why did you target east siders?

Also to the OP, if you are living in any "new" city west of the rockies cookie cutters are what you will get, especially here in Las Vegas. The design and construction of houses is the same in Summerlin as it any other post-housing boom neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
I wouldnt say there is reverse racism or snobbery, I just think that people on this board are passionate about the Las Vegas area and hate to see people getting target fixated on Summerlin (or Henderson for that matter) when there other great places to live that might fit their situation better. Why did you target east siders?
Actually, I do think race is a component to the whole "We hear Summerlin is nice" thing. Not the main component, or even a driving component. But I think it's there.

For instance, at work, I hear comments like, "I hear enough Spanish at work. I want to move to The Paseos so I don't have to hear it at home." (I like the irony of wanting to move to "El Paseo" to escape Spanish.)

Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times
To the OP take a look at Peccole Ranch and The Lakes. We looked extensively in Peccole before buying in The Lakes. The neighborhoods are quiet, safe and very green. I've heard The Lakes can be hit or miss depending on the particular neighborhood and/or cul de sac you are in. We are off Crystal Water Way and could not be happier.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,625 times
We own properties in Centennial Hills and in an area called Rhodes Ranch ( 215 below Summerlin) The thing that helped us most is what jet757f said is to use the crime maps. Print the map, drive the areas and you'll see clearly why the green /some yellows areas on the maps are the better choice. Google streets is OK, but best to look in person. You miss a lot of important details with satellite photos and street views. When I started looking, some areas looked good in street views, but in person was a different story. Have your financiing ready to go, because there are a lot of investors and buyers in the market. I am amazed at the speed that homes are selling now.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Quote:
Oh for crying out loud.

If anything, there is a reverse-racism and reverse-snobbery theme on this board when it comes to Summerlin. Every time someone mentions Summerlin, people who don't live there - - especially people who live on the east side of town - - claim that the only people who live in Summerlin, or want to live in Summerlin, are in effect closet racists who only live there to get away from the brown and black people of Las Vegas.

It is a totally ridiculous assertion and one that I'm really getting tired of seeing from otherwise intelligent members of this online community.

I don't live there either, but there does seem to be a holier than thou attitude when it comes to the area. People build it up to be this great panacea when in fact it's just another neighborhood.

Personally, I do like the infrastructure and the greenery, but I don't care for the location. The 215 is gridlocked during rush hour and I have better things to do than sit in traffic.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I don't live there either, but there does seem to be a holier than thou attitude when it comes to the area. People build it up to be this great panacea when in fact it's just another neighborhood.

Personally, I do like the infrastructure and the greenery, but I don't care for the location. The 215 is gridlocked during rush hour and I have better things to do than sit in traffic.
215 isn't the only way to get to Summerlin area...
215 in the Summerlin vicinity is never really busy (At least when I'm on it.) I dislike the 215 when I'm headed towards the airport, LV BLVD etc..

People like Summerlin area because it's maintained nicely- landscaped, kept clean, homes values IMO are better (If not the best?) in Summerlin than most other areas. Of course Vegas has a lot of nice communities but Summerlin does deserve it's praise.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
That's a good way of putting it.

I may live on the east side, but I do most of my shopping in Green Valley. (And some on Lamb, Spring Mountain, and Decatur.) But mostly Green Valley.

Very infrequently, I'll shop in Summerlin when I'm on my way to my aunt's house. After one hour I always vow I'll never do that again.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 AM

104 posts, read 254,936 times
OP take a look at Anthem in southern Henderson. If nothing else the streets and common areas are landscaped very nice, and it is a safe and convenient community.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 AM

24 posts, read 30,620 times
Southern Highlands. Lot of trees. Conveniently located. Beautiful houses. A little pricey, but it also has some of the nicest houses in Las Vegas.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Oh for crying out loud.

I hate it when you two argue since I adore both of you (in an innocent online sort of way)

The only places I have ever seen with interesting architecture are in the older parts of town, and a very fancy area in the SW valley. That place took my breath away. I wish I could remember the name, but it was a country club community. I don't think you'd get very far with 200k there though, so it's probably irrelevant.

The other well-known "nice" areas are Lake Las Vegas, Desert Shores, Aliante, The Lakes, Spanish Trails. There are others but that's off the top of my head. I don't care to pay their association fees, so I've chosen to live just outside them and receive the benefits without the fees.

I also believe that gated communities offer a false sense of security and lots of inconvenience when you want to have friends over. My boss lives in a gated community. He's been a property crime victim twice in three years or so. Knock on wood, I never have been, and I live in the dreaded North Las Vegas.

Last edited by NLVgal; 06-03-2012 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Excess punctuation. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas