Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Was thinking of coming into town this fall to catch a game at UNLV and enjoy some of the other things one can do in Vegas.

Are there shuttles that go from the strip or downtown to campus for football gameday?

Taxi a better option, I didnt want to rent a car while there.

Good places to tailgate for football?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Taxi from Strip will cost a ton and may be tough finding one when you leave. Sam Boyd is way out east of town. There are shuttles for the students from campus, not sure how they would work for non-students. CAT has some modest amounts of service but it is by no means a shuttle type thing.

Tailgating exists out there, but most of the time its pretty pathetic. UNR game is only one that draws any real "atmosphere" now that BYU packed up and left. There is nothing near the stadium as far as bars go so its all going on in the parking lots.

Fact is if you have experienced major college football anywhere else the UNLV experience is almost certain to disappoint you. It really is about as bad as it gets for this level of college football. Basketball is really where the Rebel experience is great.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Darn...thats not real encouraging. Maybe I rent a car for a day and drink in the parking lot.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Based on the topic title I was hoping they released a bunch of pheasants on Maryland Pkwy. I'd like to catch some game, too.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 AM

65 posts, read 85,495 times
yay UNLV!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Based on the topic title I was hoping they released a bunch of pheasants on Maryland Pkwy. I'd like to catch some game, too.
it was Wildebeasts.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,084 times
Unless you feel like laughing your rear off at how awful our football team is, I highly recommend against seeing a UNLV football game.

Now, if you were coming in the winter, basketball, on the other hand, is much more enjoyable. Plus, the Thomas and Mack is a great place for College Ball.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Good places to tailgate for football?

Several things.

First, the UNLV campus is close to the airport. However, Sam Boyd Stadium is about 10 miles away, or at least in seems.

Second, in the games I have seen at Sam Boyd stadium, I do NOT remember seeing a lot of tailgating EXCEPT when Wisconsin came to play a few years back.

Third, if you see a recent UNLV football promo video, you see stands of fans all wearing red shirts. If you look close up, they were Wisconsin fans. In fact, I heard from a lot of Badger fans that their last game in Las Vegas had 2x more Wisconsin fans than UNLV fans. Personally, I think that the crowds at UNLV games remind me of games I have seen at Kent State or Akron.

Fourth, if you want great tickets to the one game you want to see, buy season tickets for good seats and sell the other games on E-bay or StubHub. In general, your cost will be less than buying tickets at a major Division I program.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Not to knock UNLV, but we were, what, 2-8 or something this past season? And that was a good year. All the money goes into basketball. We've had a couple of better years, but have never had a decent football team in the history of the school, and although it has been debated to death, nobody can explain the lack of interest. I know next to nothing about sports betting, but I suspect it has something to do with that. The Boosters Club just seems to like basketball best, also.

Add to that, the stadium is too far from campus, and in this heat, nobody wants to watch football in an outdoor stadium in Las Vegas anyway until about December. We really need an indoor stadium ─ but only if research proves people will support whatever goes on there.

We could use a larger basketball arena too, BTW.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM

280 posts, read 571,987 times
I only go to one football game every 2 years. Thats when my UNR Wolfpack comes down to hammer on the Rebs. Reno fans travel well and "pack" (excuse the pun) up the stadium. We have friends from the Reno area that come down in RVs and pickups and we hold a real decent tailgate BBQ.

And now that Reno has left the WAC and will join the Mountain West this year, this will make the cross-state rivalry game a conference game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas