Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM

43 posts, read 69,676 times

Advertisements

I am moving from NJ to Henderson. I was going to rent a POD but that is over 5k for just the 7' er. I only have a 1 bedroom apartment, so not that much stuff. Queen size bed, futon, chest of drawers, 2 desks, and boxes. Does anyone have experience with moving companies or other options to get the bed and futon cross country?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
There's more than one of those pod movers, you might want to compare prices.

Have you investigated just putting your stuff on a regular moving can as a partial load with someone else's stuff? I have no idea of the price, but it's another option. The other thing to consider is NOT moving some or all of the furniture at all, selling it there and replacing it in LV.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM

787 posts, read 1,770,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow7478 View Post
I am moving from NJ to Henderson. I was going to rent a POD but that is over 5k for just the 7' er. I only have a 1 bedroom apartment, so not that much stuff. Queen size bed, futon, chest of drawers, 2 desks, and boxes. Does anyone have experience with moving companies or other options to get the bed and futon cross country?

Thanks in advance.

I moved from Jersey City to Vegas. I rented a Penske, wrapped our furniture in moving blankets, picked everything up and walked it down stairs, and put it in the truck. Then I got inside the truck and drove to Las Vegas. Then I took the stuff out of the truck and put it in my new house in Vegas.

This was a 26ft Penske, that we had FULLY loaded. The rental was $1400, and fuel to get out here was $1200.

It sounds like you have a trivial amount of stuff - a tiny Penske or UHaul would do the trick, and would cost a lot less than my move (both rental fees and fuel). Moving companies are great if you have a good deal of money to burn. ... (Edit: to 2nd the above: ) Though since you have so little, and are apparently a little worried about how to move it, maybe you should just consider craigslisting it in NJ and getting new stuff in Vegas?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM

the bed is a $2500 bed foam mattress, lifetime warranty only 3 yrs old. That is the main catch... If I'm gonna do that, I might as well do the futon as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM

uhaul comes out much cheaper about 2100 for me to drive a truck with my car out there... or 1900 for a u box which they deliver door to door, and we drive my care our there... (air conditioning works, we can take shorter route, etc.)

Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,770,447 times
Look into ABF U-Pack.
Thats how I moved here from Manhattan.
WAAAAAAAY cheaper.
thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times
I would have done better selling all my stuff and replacing it when I got here. I didn't have enough to take up a full truck so it took forever to get everything here. There was a lot of damage because my stuff was actually moved over and over, on and off the truck. I didn't file a claim because it took me quite a while to unpack everything. To be honest, there's still some boxes. Best choice would have been to get rid of everything that wouldn't fit in the car. And when you replace things you can get items that fit in your new space.

2nd choice, I would have done the U-Haul type thing. At least I would have had control and been able to limit the damage. I've found that paying for a XC move costs more and it more hassle than just replacing things. And it would have forced me to get rid of a lot more before I got here.

People are always moving here and there are great deals on nice used furniture, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM

460 posts, read 984,205 times
Call one of the major moving companies, and ask them to give you an estimate. That won't cost you anything. It's been a number of years, (prices have surely gone up due to the cost of gas), but I moved a house full of furniture from Florida to Texas for $4000. And that included having them pack everything. For such a small load, they likely will just put your furniture on a semi, that is only partially loaded.

Can't hurt to ask.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM

136 posts, read 275,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Look into ABF U-Pack.
Thats how I moved here from Manhattan.
WAAAAAAAY cheaper.
thread
We used ABF too. We used their Relo-Cubes. With your small apt and amount of belongings, you could probably get by with only one cube. Our friends have used ABF several times as well, but the regular truck. You only pay for the linear feet that you use. Check them out.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM

421 posts, read 895,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntonv View Post
We used ABF too. We used their Relo-Cubes. With your small apt and amount of belongings, you could probably get by with only one cube. Our friends have used ABF several times as well, but the regular truck. You only pay for the linear feet that you use. Check them out.

We had to make two trips to move here - once with enough to live her and the 2nds time to bring the furniture we staged our old house and ABF/upak was GREAT - and cheap!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: