Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times

Advertisements

I bought a truck a few years back....I had cash....
I went to Henderson chevrolet. grabbed the salesman that beat all the rest to me [he's the hungry one]
Told him....#1. If you show me any crap, I walk off the lot. #2 I want a low mileage mini truck for $5000 or less the MAX I"ll spend is 5000 including all taxes etc etc etc.

He thought for a minute and said, "Ive got one....95 Dakota...51,000 miles perfect in all aspects except that it has DODGE Paint....[this translates to CRAP paint], It should sell for 10k....I have to reduce it because of the paint to 7K, at 7 k no bank will finance and buyers that want a small used truck usually dont have cash....so we'll wholesale it for 3k, you give me 5k and it's yours...."

I test drove it and drove off the lot that night....and drove it everyday [until my grandson scammed me]

point is....it can be done....

NOW bear in mind....this was the 4th dealership I had been to with the SAME exact criteria....and each of them tried to BS me....so I pulled $7k cash out of my pocket waved it at them and walked out.....one even followed me to the car and out to the street begging me to come back. do NOT put up with any BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,215,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I bought a truck a few years back....I had cash....
I went to Henderson chevrolet. grabbed the salesman that beat all the rest to me [he's the hungry one]
Told him....#1. If you show me any crap, I walk off the lot. #2 I want a low mileage mini truck for $5000 or less the MAX I"ll spend is 5000 including all taxes etc etc etc.

He thought for a minute and said, "Ive got one....95 Dakota...51,000 miles perfect in all aspects except that it has DODGE Paint....[this translates to CRAP paint], It should sell for 10k....I have to reduce it because of the paint to 7K, at 7 k no bank will finance and buyers that want a small used truck usually dont have cash....so we'll wholesale it for 3k, you give me 5k and it's yours...."

I test drove it and drove off the lot that night....and drove it everyday [until my grandson scammed me]

point is....it can be done....

NOW bear in mind....this was the 4th dealership I had been to with the SAME exact criteria....and each of them tried to BS me....so I pulled $7k cash out of my pocket waved it at them and walked out.....one even followed me to the car and out to the street begging me to come back. do NOT put up with any BS.
I bought my previous 2 cars with cash (one was after a car accident and the second was I just wanted a cheap car that I paid $2K for). When I bought my Beetle I financed it as was suprised when the salesman told me he didn't know if the financing would go through because the car wasn't expensive enough. I understand the banks don't want to finance something worthless should they reposess, but it also seems a bit odd to try to push people into pricier cars just to get them approved.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,347,755 times
the cash for clunkers program a couple years back had the effect of slaughtering an entire generation of cheap used cars. Maybe now the market is starteing to get back to normal.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
The Governmental Services Tax is even more ridiculous when you consider an older used car. I enjoy restoring and driving German imports.A couple years ago I bought a 1995 Mercedes E420 that needed work for $1500.. The GST is figured from the original MSRP in '95 of $52,500.00!That is nearly 35 times what I paid for the car. Nevada tried this before with the Occasional Tax penalizing owners of old cars that were expensive when new. But the Occasional Tax was charged one time on initial registration. The GST is charged every year for as long as you own the vehicle. Simply outrageous.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:00 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,074,214 times
Cash for clunkers screwed me over so hard. I went from being able to buy cheap cars that ran, to having to buy more expensive cars that didn't run and fix them to make money.

When I worked at the "number 1 Dodge dealer in America" I wasn't allowed to sell used cars. They kept them on the lot to draw in people to try to shove them into new cars. Had a lady come in for a very specific used car, with a specific budget, and we had it. Management ran numbers on it that were so absurd I made them tell her. They showed her better numbers on a new car she didn't want. They hounded her til she left, angry.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:34 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTweakAlot View Post
The Governmental Services Tax is even more ridiculous when you consider an older used car. I enjoy restoring and driving German imports.A couple years ago I bought a 1995 Mercedes E420 that needed work for $1500.. The GST is figured from the original MSRP in '95 of $52,500.00!That is nearly 35 times what I paid for the car. Nevada tried this before with the Occasional Tax penalizing owners of old cars that were expensive when new. But the Occasional Tax was charged one time on initial registration. The GST is charged every year for as long as you own the vehicle. Simply outrageous.
And if you bought a new mercedes today, you'd pay over a grand a year for your plate. I don't think it's ridiculous for you. We pay no local or state income tax. Our property taxes are dirt cheap.... Try a state where you would also pay personal tax on that vehicle too...

I just paid $306 for my one year old car yesterday for a plate..it is what it is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas