Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times

Advertisements

Just registered my Altima today. Breakdown of fees:

VIN Inspection: $1
Prison Industry Fee: $1
Registration Fee - Passenger Vehicles: $33
Basic Gov Services Tax - Clark: $36
Supplemental Gov Services Tax - Clark: $36

Total: $80.

So, to everyone who complains about the vehicle reg fees: stop whining. It's hilarious that when someone brings up the lack of state income tax, inevitably someone will chime in to counter with: "yeah, but the car reg fees are really high". Oh yeah? No state income tax saves me about $7000/yr.

Granted, I was registering a 1996 Altima, so the fees were a good deal lower than for a newish car. But if you're complaining that a $400 car reg fee is unaffordable, then guess what: you should be driving a MUCH cheaper car anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
I can't answer about NV but NYS you have to buy 2 years at a time. So what if it is higher in NV it sure beats paying over $5,000.00 a year on school and land tax. We also have to buy our licenses 6 years at a time. The make up $$ in NV is spread out over more people in many ways and unlike NYS they do not keep hiking the Fees (tax) each year. I agree the savings from no income tax is much more of a better deal.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 AM

421 posts, read 898,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post

So, to everyone who complains about the vehicle reg fees: stop whining. It's hilarious that when someone brings up the lack of state income tax, inevitably someone will chime in to counter with: "yeah, but the car reg fees are really high". Oh yeah? No state income tax saves me about $7000/yr.

Granted, I was registering a 1996 Altima, so the fees were a good deal lower than for a newish car. But if you're complaining that a $400 car reg fee is unaffordable, then guess what: you should be driving a MUCH cheaper car anyway.

I was astounded when I registered our cars after paying the fees in California by how much lower they were here as well as how much lower the car and homeowner's insurance are

Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
I came from Oregon (many moons ago) and was shocked by how high the registration and car insurance was.

Of course, Oregon has a state income tax, too.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
You registered an old car so of course it was cheap. Im not going to buy an old car just to avoid paying registration fees even if I feel like ive just been robbed afterwards.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 AM

207 posts, read 509,463 times
Quote:
It's hilarious that when someone brings up the lack of state income tax, inevitably someone will chime in to counter with: "yeah, but the car reg fees are really high".
Yes, I found the same. For a while I just took it for granted that the car registration fees were high because of this, but when I actually looked into it I found registration and insurance to be much lower than I expected. This is also for an older vehicle, don't know what the difference in cost would be for a newer vehicle.

Lesson to learn - when "people" says something is "expensive" check the actual numbers before believing it.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:

So, to everyone who complains about the vehicle reg fees: stop whining. It's hilarious that when someone brings up the lack of state income tax, inevitably someone will chime in to counter with: "yeah, but the car reg fees are really high".
You register a 16-yr-old POS for $80 so you claim that everyone complaining about high registration fees is being ridiculous? You have got to be f'n kidding me.

I just registered my new car this week and here are my fees:

Red Rock Canyon Plate: $35
Red Rock Canyon Plate Fund: $25
Basic Gov Services Tax - Clark: $1,130
Supplemental Gov Services Tax - Clark: $282

Total: $1,506

When I registered the car I didn't come here and whine about the high fees because I can afford it; and like you, I moved here from a high income tax state and I realize that Nevada has to get their income from somewhere. (My last year in Maryland I paid over $13,000 in state and county income tax.)

But people do need to be made aware of the high registration fees when they move here or it could come as a bit of a shock and an unexpected expense for which they weren't prepared.

For you to belittle that warning just because you're happy tooling around town in a 1996 Altima is absurd.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfapps View Post
Yes, I found the same. For a while I just took it for granted that the car registration fees were high because of this, but when I actually looked into it I found registration and insurance to be much lower than I expected. This is also for an older vehicle, don't know what the difference in cost would be for a newer vehicle.
See my post above.

Quote:
Lesson to learn - when "people" says something is "expensive" check the actual numbers before believing it.
Now you have the actual numbers. You can decide for yourself whether that meets your definition of "expensive."

Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM

207 posts, read 509,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You register a 16-yr-old POS for $80 so you claim that everyone complaining about high registration fees is being ridiculous? You have got to be f'n kidding me.

I just registered my new car this week and here are my fees:

Red Rock Canyon Plate: $35
Red Rock Canyon Plate Fund: $25
Basic Gov Services Tax - Clark: $1,130
Supplemental Gov Services Tax - Clark: $282

Total: $1,506

When I registered the car I didn't come here and whine about the high fees because I can afford it; and like you, I moved here from a high income tax state and I realize that Nevada has to get their income from somewhere. (My last year in Maryland I paid over $13,000 in state and county income tax.)

But people do need to be made aware of the high registration fees when they move here or it could come as a bit of a shock and an unexpected expense for which they weren't prepared.

For you to belittle that warning just because you're happy tooling around town in a 1996 Altima is absurd.
Thank you for providing some more actual numbers. It's not absurd to look at different situations and different numbers, everyone's experience is different based on the actual numbers and this is great information you've added.

It looks like it's the taxes that are high. How do your numbers above relate from year to year? Are any of those fees or taxes only charged on initial registration or will you pay them every year?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
It looks like it's the taxes that are high. How do your numbers above relate from year to year? Are any of those fees or taxes only charged on initial registration or will you pay them every year?
The taxes are paid every year, but decrease slightly as the value of the car depreciates. The DMV has a fee estimator on its website so you can calculate how your fees will change:

https://dmvapp.nv.gov/dmv/vr/vr_esti...tioninput.aspx

For example, my registration fee was for a 2012 vehicle. When I use the fee estimator and plug in 2011 instead of 2012 in order to simulate one year's depreciation, the fee went down $72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas