U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 PM

673 posts, read 1,553,023 times

Advertisements

Just a follow up to some of the previous threads on this topic. I spend a couple months +/- a year visiting our second home in Las Vegas and the rental car rates were my biggest expense. I checked with USAA and they wanted $920 a year to insure a specific car that would be driven less than 3000 miles per year. That was for liability and comprehensive along with some medical. I was offered an option by Geico that offered me more coverage plus a pretty cool alternative. Their rate was $760 per year for full-time all year use on the same car, but when I am not there and the car is in the garage, the insurance reverts to comprehensive only at a rate of $27 per month. They said I could activate and deactivate with a phone call the day before I arrive and the day I leave Las Vegas. They will credit me for the additional amount if I have prepaid or I can pay monthly. Not sure if USAA offers this concept, but they didn't mention it to me if they do. Just wanted to share with those that might have the same issue. So on my next trip out, I'll be buying a car. Bye Bye Thrifty Car Rental!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM

11,314 posts, read 22,216,162 times
Won't work...if there is a plate on the car, you are required by law to have liability insurance. Comprehensive is not liability insurance

Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,675,223 times
He will have liability when he activates it again when driving the car. DOesn't really matter about the liability when it is parked in the garage even if it is the law.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,282,031 times
Yes it does......in Nevada if you don't have liability, you MUST.....repeat MUST, as in ya gotta, turn in the plates to DMV....it will cost you[I believe] $250 fine if you don't

Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM

673 posts, read 1,553,023 times
Thanks for the info guys. I'm just relating what the insurance company told me, but I'll definitely check with the DMV prior to taking their word for it. Thats what I love about this forum. There's always someone who knows more than you and is willing to share the information to keep you out of trouble. Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Yes it does......in Nevada if you don't have liability, you MUST.....repeat MUST, as in ya gotta, turn in the plates to DMV....it will cost you[I believe] $250 fine if you don't
Actually it's up to $1000 depending on the circumstances. It's a 250 fine plus additional 250-750 for how long you were without liability. If the vehicle has plates, by law you are required to have the insurance

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 PM

994 posts, read 1,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Just a follow up to some of the previous threads on this topic. I spend a couple months +/- a year visiting our second home in Las Vegas and the rental car rates were my biggest expense. I checked with USAA and they wanted $920 a year to insure a specific car that would be driven less than 3000 miles per year. That was for liability and comprehensive along with some medical. I was offered an option by Geico that offered me more coverage plus a pretty cool alternative. Their rate was $760 per year for full-time all year use on the same car, but when I am not there and the car is in the garage, the insurance reverts to comprehensive only at a rate of $27 per month. They said I could activate and deactivate with a phone call the day before I arrive and the day I leave Las Vegas. They will credit me for the additional amount if I have prepaid or I can pay monthly. Not sure if USAA offers this concept, but they didn't mention it to me if they do. Just wanted to share with those that might have the same issue. So on my next trip out, I'll be buying a car. Bye Bye Thrifty Car Rental!!!
USAA will also lower the rate if you call them and tell them that the car is in storage. You will pay only for the minimum amount of liability insurance required by State law.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Easiest way would be to park the car and return the plates each time

Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM

499 posts, read 850,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
USAA will also lower the rate if you call them and tell them that the car is in storage. You will pay only for the minimum amount of liability insurance required by State law.
Unfortunately, USAA auto insurance is no longer the cheapest rate. They are on a new business model, charge as much as the market will bear or customer.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 PM

13,543 posts, read 22,271,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Their rate was $760 per year for full-time all year use on the same car, but when I am not there and the car is in the garage, the insurance reverts to comprehensive only at a rate of $27 per month. They said I could activate and deactivate with a phone call the day before I arrive and the day I leave Las Vegas. They will credit me for the additional amount if I have prepaid or I can pay monthly.
That type of insurance is quite popular in the Midwest. I have a number of friends with sports cars that will only drive them May-October. They have full coverage during those months and comprehensive ONLY during the months that they are garaged.

I believe that MOST carriers have similar insurance.

However, make sure that you live up to your end of the bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or