U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 11,333 times

Advertisements

I recently came cross some houses with non traditional floor plan. For example, one house has split entry with inverted floor plan ( or called upside down floor plan). The bedrooms are in the 1st floor area. The Kitchen and living room are in the second floor. I am wondering whether a house with this floor plan is harder to rent out or resale. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by Sunny88; 04-15-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,533,630 times
My guess would be yes, but it may depend on the property. If it is really nice, a renter might go for it, but if is average, there are too many other choices for them. A buyer not so much. Remember, who wants to come home with bags and bags of groceries only to have to clime up a flight of stairs to unload.

Maybe young kids are willing to do this in a condo, but purchasing a house like this I think would make a difficult sale. This is only my opinion as a home owner and investor for many years. I am not a realtor. Hopefully some realtors will chime in with their opinions.

Correction: I just re-read your post. When you say a split entry-can you qualify it? Is it like a split level where you come in and you can walk up to the living area or walk down to the bedroom area? Is the entry to the house on the bottom floor or the upper floor?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM

53 posts, read 160,565 times
I'd say an upside-down house will exclude some with accessibility issues, or with convenience issues, but same goes for two story homes to a lesser extent. However, any price negative could be offset and more by factors that drove the design. For example, you see these in hilly neighborhoods that have good views, or near the ocean. Also less likeky to be a tract neighbborhood, unless built in a flood plain.

I do live in said type of house, on a hill. We do have two main bedrooms on the upper living floor, but yes do have to haul groceries and a baby up the stairs from the garage.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 11,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Correction: I just re-read your post. When you say a split entry-can you qualify it? Is it like a split level where you come in and you can walk up to the living area or walk down to the bedroom area? Is the entry to the house on the bottom floor or the upper floor?
Thank you so much for your reply.
Yes, the entry is at mid-point. You walk up a few stairs to the living area and walk down a few stairs to the bedroom area.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 PM

8,421 posts, read 14,348,484 times
A friend of mine had a house like that and it was a pain. Everything was always upstairs. And bringing in groceries was no fun either.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,299,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny88 View Post
Yes, the entry is at mid-point. You walk up a few stairs to the living area and walk down a few stairs to the bedroom area.
We call that a spilt foyer here, and they are pretty common. My aunt and uncle lived in one when I was a kid an I thought it was a cool house. I'd like it!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM

154 posts, read 213,022 times
We have that type. I have gorgeous views of the mountains from the kitchen, dining room and deck! I love it!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM

278 posts, read 253,240 times
Ive been looking for rental houses in the SW area, and some have had the split foyer. I would rent one if the price is decent.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny88 View Post
We call that one a tri-level. I would never buy a house like that because you have to go up or down stairs to get anywhere. That's not a problem until you hurt your knee or break a foot or get old. Then it becomes a monumental issue.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM

9,569 posts, read 15,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We call that a spilt foyer here, and they are pretty common. My aunt and uncle lived in one when I was a kid an I thought it was a cool house. I'd like it!
no its not a split foyer.. we had those in ohio... it is a tri level as a previous poster mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas