Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Twelve hundred is the number thou shalt count. And the number of the counting shalt be twelve hundred. Eleven hundred thou shalt not count, excepting that one count eleven hundred on the way to twelve hundred. Thirteen hundred is RIGHT OUT.

Once you have reached twelve hundred, being the twelve hundredth number, lobbest the Holy Mutual Insurance policy at thou foe, who being distracted while texting, shall snuff it.
I see that someone else has Monty Python and the Holy Grail in their video collection. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
I am shopping around for auto insurance and did a quote with Amica. Completely high, IMO. $5000. for the year with $1000. ded. Yikes. Guess I will stick with Allstate for now.

3 vehicles and an 18 yr old driver. It was triple what Allstate quoted.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
ahhhhhh happiness was when the last 18 yr old moved to Missouri on his own......insurance went thru the floor.... then we moved to 1055 and it's hardly a consideration anymore.....

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 PM

421 posts, read 898,478 times
I have Auto Club and have found that I saved about 500.00 from where my rates were in Califonira. We have been with them for 27 years though, but might be worth gtting an estimate. Saved a lot on my Homeowners with them too. Denise

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I am shopping around for auto insurance and did a quote with Amica. Completely high, IMO. $5000. for the year with $1000. ded. Yikes. Guess I will stick with Allstate for now.

3 vehicles and an 18 yr old driver. It was triple what Allstate quoted.
You're in a high risk pool. Teenagers are statistically bad drivers. And some insurance companies will clobber you with that stat. Watch what happens to your rates once the teenager leaves the nest. Personally, I'm glad Amica is charging so much. It's keeping my rates low -- the company takes care of their low-risk, safe drivers. While it would be nice if everyone paid low rates, that's not how insurance works.

For example, our homeowner's insurance in Las Vegas is considerably less than when we lived on an island in the hurricane "red zone," 500 feet from the ocean and less than two feet above sea level. (And by "considerably" I mean 15 times less.)

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM

I have been with Allstate for a while, here and in MI, and when I moved here I basically wanted to just get the coverage to get the cars plated. Now, I am researching my coverage options because I am sure that I am way under covered and while I definitely don't want that, I can't really afford huge premiums. So, I am trying to find something that I can be comfortable with on both counts. It's so confusing to me.

So, generally, what is the best coverage amounts to carry? I read that many carry 100/300/50. My comp and collision state Actual Cash Value. Do they have UM/UIM here in Nevada? When I moved here, they didn't even ask me about my daughter, I told them she was a driver, but they didn't require any info on her. Same in MI. AAA did and that was high. The car is not in her name, she is basically just a driver on our car.

She will probably be moving back to MI (hates it here) in the summer and then she will really feel the love! I don't know how these kids afford it!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I have been with Allstate for a while, here and in MI, and when I moved here I basically wanted to just get the coverage to get the cars plated. Now, I am researching my coverage options because I am sure that I am way under covered and while I definitely don't want that, I can't really afford huge premiums. So, I am trying to find something that I can be comfortable with on both counts. It's so confusing to me.

So, generally, what is the best coverage amounts to carry? I read that many carry 100/300/50. My comp and collision state Actual Cash Value. Do they have UM/UIM here in Nevada? When I moved here, they didn't even ask me about my daughter, I told them she was a driver, but they didn't require any info on her. Same in MI. AAA did and that was high. The car is not in her name, she is basically just a driver on our car.

She will probably be moving back to MI (hates it here) in the summer and then she will really feel the love! I don't know how these kids afford it!
I carry the maximum possible, with a personal liability umbrella policy. You can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much insurance.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM

I just think that on some vehicles, you can be overpaying while that money could be put to better use. For example, max coverage on a car that is only worth 4K?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I just think that on some vehicles, you can be overpaying while that money could be put to better use. For example, max coverage on a car that is only worth 4K?
Maximum liability coverage. I don't do comprehensive.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
I think you have to look at worst case scenario. What if you hit a bus full of kids? What If you get in an accident with an uninsured driver. Hit a street light pole?

A 4k car does the same damage as a 100k car. At least when looking at the liability aspect of it. There was a thread in the general forums where member crashed into a home living room. Because of his cheap coverage, he was stuck with a big bill.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas