Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

I hope the GSA hearings go away soon, but…

As much as I hate to ever agree with this guy, I sort of agree with this blog …or most of it anyway. It’s funny, but negative publicity is what made this town the great city that it is, and that goes back to at least the 40s or further. The chance of having a little excitement in one’s life is very appealing to most people, and it’s good for business. So I don’t know why we always get upset over personal attacks on our city. Or why, when someone from another part of the country does something bad in Las Vegas, and 99% of the time the wrongdoer does not live here, it is always Las Vegas’ fault in the hypocritical minds of non-Nevadans making the personal attack. I say hypocrisy because no matter where you live in the U.S., chances are that there is more illegal, unregulated, untaxed, gambling going on right under your nose than there is legal, regulated, taxed, gambling going on here. Make no mistake, it’s lack of hypocrisy and libertarian thinking that is the key thing that distinguishes Nevadans from the rest of the country. And it’s the number one reason everyone wants to move here. Proximity to most of the greatest attractions in the country, scenic or otherwise, is the second reason; then maybe weather. But gambling? That’s just icing on the cake. It’s fun now and then, but most of us locals can take it or leave it, and it feels good to not be breaking the law when we do.

htt http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/even-under-investigation-vegas-should-shine-147711435.htmlp://www.lvrj.com/opinion/even-under-investigation-vegas-should-shine-147711435.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I hope the GSA hearings go away soon, but…

As much as I hate to ever agree with this guy, I sort of agree with this blog …or most of it anyway.

Bad link. Try this one: Even under investigation, Vegas should shine! - Opinion - ReviewJournal.com

Agreed. This is the only thing this guy has written that I agree with even a little. Sibelius is one of the MAIN reasons I quit subscribing to the RJ. I don't want to contribute to his income. (Or Ann Coulter's.)

Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
My Momma told me when I left the farm to watch out for wicked city women in the city. lol. First off the perks the GSA employees get is more than the LV trip. Second this country is in such denial about their own morals they can not admit Las Vegas is real and up front about who they are. What fun would it be to not know the dirty secrets of the small town politicians to the big city politicians who hide their drinking,drugs,gambling and womanizing. So GSA went to LV and ble over $800,000.00 not LV problem. Everything they did was legal in Nevada too bad the other states sit there with their noses up in the air thinking they are better. Congress men up in arms about this and they are the biggest bunch of tax payers thieves going. If you want to go to the true den of thieves go to Wall street. Stand proud LV and tell them $8000,000 is good but nothing compared to a high roller lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Bad link. Try this one: Even under investigation, Vegas should shine! - Opinion - ReviewJournal.com

Agreed. This is the only thing this guy has written that I agree with even a little. Sibelius is one of the MAIN reasons I quit subscribing to the RJ. I don't want to contribute to his income. (Or Ann Coulter's.)
OOPS! I got the OOPS! page. I shudda checked it. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

460 posts, read 988,209 times
Totally agree. People don't want to take responsibility for their own actions, so they have to have someone, or something, to blame. "But, we were in Las Vegas, where it's OK to act like a dumb ass. It's not our fault. Everyone does it. You know......what happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas."

I suspect their next conference will be in Cartagena.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post

I suspect their next conference will be in Cartagena.
My money's on La Paz, Bolivia. Home of the world's only cocaine bar. (Well, lots of bars have cocaine in them. But here it's on the menu and everything.)

The world's first cocaine bar | World news | The Guardian

Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My money's on La Paz, Bolivia. Home of the world's only cocaine bar. (Well, lots of bars have cocaine in them. But here it's on the menu and everything.)

The world's first cocaine bar | World news | The Guardian

my vote for party place of the year goes to Columbia... all night hookers for $40? wow..wouldnt get you the time of day here from ours

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
I know it's not LV's fault for the actions of the GSA, but we WILL suffer consequences from this scandal. Corporations have to answer to shareholders who will raise eyebrows if corporate events are going to take place here. Even the smallest hint of impropriety will have businesses move their "team building" events to other cities. In their minds, they think "why take the risk when there are so many other cheap venues begging for business?"

Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
I disagree logline. I don't think businesses will shy away from Vegas because of this. Most people are smart enough to realize that the venue doesn't dictate whether something is done responsibly or not.

It was Obama himself that originally said people should stay away from Vegas so they don't spend their kids' college funds, yet the GSA had the convention here anyway.

The scandal isn't about Vegas, it's about the abuse by government workers. It looks even worse with the current push to raise taxes. Who the hell wants to spend money on this kind of crap? It didn't do a thing to help a hungry or homeless person. I guess it did create some job (openings) though unless they disband the organization.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
This whole thing is of course being blown out of context. Let me give you one example of $$$ wasted much more than this. In 1995 Plattsburgh SAC air base the largest SAC base on the east coast was closed down. A $8 Million dollar contract had been awarded to re do the base housing. New roofs siding and interiors. Since the contract was all ready awarded they had to go ahead and do this upgrade even though no one was going to live in these buildings. It's the way our government works. I am sure there are many other stories that are similar to this. One thing you have to keep in mind when a government agency has a budget they have to spend it. If they give back they loose in the next budget. I am sure it produces a mentality of we only blew $822,000.00 compared to $$Millions that are wasted in other areas. The other thing I touched upon is in LV the VIP high rollers and foreign Million airs drop Millions so a group dropping $822,000.00 is not out of the ordinary and as always the customer is right. Just because it was LV it now has a scape goat to attach to it. If this money was spent in NYC,Boston,Dallas or another major city You can bet they would defend how they did no wrong catering to the GSA requests. One reason why NYS got into such of a financial mess was because they were sucking in big tax on the $2 BILLION Dollars paid out on Wall St bonus each year. That went belly up in 2008. You did not hear everyone else whining about how the crooks on wall st were screwing us and then they all wanted a bail out. Makes the $820,000.00 look petty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas