Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,822 times

Advertisements

I'm on the verge of purchasing a used car from a private individual in California. I've read the NV DMV website and am still a little unclear as to what to expect when I go to register the car in NV. I will have a bill of sale and a signed pink slip (title) from the seller, but he will not be with me. I know about the smog check, police inspection, insurance, etc. Anything else I am missing? Thought there might be someone on forum who has done this and can share the experience.

Another question -Seller said I could leave his plates on vehicle until I got my new NV plates and then mail his back to him. Not sure whether I should park the car at the state line (Primm) have my friend pick me up in his car - drive me to NV dmv to get a movement permit - go back to Primm, get car and then drive it to DMV with permit or just drive straight to DMV with Cali plates. Thanks for any help or comments.

Croce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
#1 smog
#2 dmv [best seems to be sahara] they will inspect for vin # park car....go inside....wait.....wait....wait...give them signed title and b.o.s. pay money.....go home have a beer....

I would pull the plates at the dmv or right before driving in....it's really TOOOO easy.

LEGALLY you should have a movementy permit....buttttttttttt.........

Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
LEGALLY you should have a movementy permit....buttttttttttt.........
And HOW DOES ONE GET One of these 'Permits'?

Jonathan

Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM

one goes to DMV with one's title and B.O.S. and they will issue one to one.

OR[and I nevvvvvvver said this] one can drive [being careful to remain totally within the law] to the smog shop and then DIRECTLY [not passing GO] to the nearest DMV.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Another question -Seller said I could leave his plates on vehicle until I got my new NV plates and then mail his back to him. Not sure whether I should park the car at the state line (Primm) have my friend pick me up in his car - drive me to NV dmv to get a movement permit - go back to Primm, get car and then drive it to DMV with permit or just drive straight to DMV with Cali plates. Thanks for any help or comments.

Croce
You buy the car and they're YOUR plates not his. The bolded part sounds like a monumental waste of time - Just get the smog and drive to the DMV.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM

26 posts, read 57,858 times
Smog - Test $ $20

DMV - Drive your car up to get it inspected it take about 2 minutes. All they wanna do is make sure you are the owner. Park your car go inside grab a number and wait. get called pay for it and your out with new plates. I dunno if you know but to register you car you will be paying a price of what your car is worth in their system. So you will be paying a % on what the car it worth. I had to pay for a motorcycle $250 and a Car $275 and I was out the door. That's all ya need to know. Bring Proof don't forget GL

Mail the plates back to him what's the big deal?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
You buy the car and they're YOUR plates not his. The bolded part sounds like a monumental waste of time - Just get the smog and drive to the DMV.
That isn't correct. The plates actually belong to the state, and they're no longer valid once ownership changes. People can get in trouble driving with bogus plates or no plates at all.

That being said, I drove my truck with the bill of sale in hand straight to DMV after purchasing it, and there wasn't a problem. If I was pulled over, I planned to lie through my teeth, "I didn't know about the moving permit. I didn't think it'd be a big deal, seeing as I live just up Sahara on Hollywood."

Is anything likely to happen? No. But anyone with a criminal record will probably want to do this by the book.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 PM

30 posts, read 57,393 times
I don't think it is at all possible to register a car from Cali , Colombia, in the United States. LOL :P

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTZZ View Post
I don't think it is at all possible to register a car from Cali , Colombia, in the United States. LOL :P
if you can drive it here we can register it here.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if you can drive it here we can register it here.
You can't get a car (or much of anything else for that matter) through the Darién Gap. It's only been crossed a handful of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas