U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM

191 posts, read 189,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That's it. The gate is useless. Basically all it does is drive up the HOA fees (they have to maintain the roads) and create a false sense of security. Guard-gated gates, with roving security patrols are another matter entirely. But the HOA fees for these communities are out of most people's reach.
If I'm a burglar, I'm looking for the nicest houses with minimum security. While a gated community obviously doesn't isolate you from crime, I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that it doesn't help. Unless, of course, the criminals think that the score will be easier once inside the gate due to the somewhat relaxed attitude of the residents. In any event, I would think gates have a positive effect on crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM

6,022 posts, read 4,426,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
If I'm a burglar, I'm looking for the nicest houses with minimum security. While a gated community obviously doesn't isolate you from crime, I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that it doesn't help. Unless, of course, the criminals think that the score will be easier once inside the gate due to the somewhat relaxed attitude of the residents. In any event, I would think gates have a positive effect on crime.
It doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Burglars hop the privacy walls all the time -- gated or not. My insurance company doesn't seem to care one way or another about a gate. But anything else that improves home security (alarm system, fire suppression system, intelligent smoke detectors connected to the alarm system) gets us a discount.

I don't think the gate is worth the additional cost to maintain it. And it's not worth the hassle when friends drop by or when ordering delivery.

The one real advantage to a gate is it keeps the bulk of the "lookie-Lou's" and solicitors out. But the determined lookie-Lou's and solicitors will still find their way in.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,081,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
I agree. That sounds logical. Unless the robbers are looking only for jewelry. A car or van would be necessary for the electronics. I didn't survey all of Las Vegas. Just happened to notice when I was looking at another area that was middle range homes that bordered a gated community. The gated community had more robberies. So then I looked at some other areas and saw similar. You would think that even with the electronic gates that robbers are not going to want to sit there in their cars with "the loot" waiting for a car to exit the development so they can tail behind them. But what do I know. Not my area of expertise.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I agree. That sounds logical. Unless the robbers are looking only for jewelry. A car or van would be necessary for the electronics. I didn't survey all of Las Vegas. Just happened to notice when I was looking at another area that was middle range homes that bordered a gated community. The gated community had more robberies. So then I looked at some other areas and saw similar. You would think that even with the electronic gates that robbers are not going to want to sit there in their cars with "the loot" waiting for a car to exit the development so they can tail behind them. But what do I know. Not my area of expertise.
Same here, not my area. However, since electronics are frequently the target of burglaries, and one would expect those types of incidents to be reduced in a gated community, one can safely deduce that crime as a whole is lower in gated communities. Unless of course other types of thefts are greater in gc's which still doesn't make sense to me. All things being equal I would expect the thief to go for the lower hanging fruit.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,472,080 times
Quote:
Exiting a gated community proves to be no detriment to a burglar, the only thing is that they have to wait for the exit gate to open, a few seconds at most. Anybody, resident or not, the gate will open for them at the exit and they don't have to follow anybody out or use any device or keypad to open the exit gate.

At the entrance though, most non-residents who want to get in the gated community just wait until someone who lives there comes by and they follow that car in, or the pizza delivery guy, the Fed Ex guy, the UPS guy, the garbage truck..etc.

My own community between 5PM and 6PM, that entrance gate gets opened so often with people coming home from work, it's no wonder it doesn't break! Constant opening and closing, and yes, I've often seen other cars/trucks follow people in, don't know if they belong in the community or not. There's no way of telling.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,081,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Exiting a gated community proves to be no detriment to a burglar, the only thing is that they have to wait for the exit gate to open, a few seconds at most. Anybody, resident or not, the gate will open for them at the exit and they don't have to follow anybody out or use any device or keypad to open the exit gate.

At the entrance though, most non-residents who want to get in the gated community just wait until someone who lives there comes by and they follow that car in, or the pizza delivery guy, the Fed Ex guy, the UPS guy, the garbage truck..etc.

My own community between 5PM and 6PM, that entrance gate gets opened so often with people coming home from work, it's no wonder it doesn't break! Constant opening and closing, and yes, I've often seen other cars/trucks follow people in, don't know if they belong in the community or not. There's no way of telling.
Interesting observation. Will have to look further when I have some more spare time. Spanish Trails has guards doesn't it? What are the intersections. I want to look at it. Give me another one to look at that's high end with regular gated (not guarded) I need the cross streets. I only know a few communities there that are gated, as I don't live there yet. My curiosity has got the better of me now.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,472,080 times
Quote:
Interesting observation. Will have to look further when I have some more spare time. Spanish Trails has guards doesn't it? What are the intersections. I want to look at it. Give me another one to look at that's high end with regular gated (not guarded) I need the cross streets. I only know a few communities there that are gated, as I don't live there yet. My curiosity has got the better of me now.
Spanish Trail is around Buffalo Drive and Tropicana Avenue is guard gated. Another guard gated community is Tournament Players Club in Summerlin, Village Center Circle and Hillwood, backing up to the Summerlin Parkway and Rampart Blvd.

My sis in law is property manager for Red Rock Country Club, West Sahara and 215 Beltway. Very high end, sometimes TWO guard gated entrances to the high end tracts, and unfortunately, there have been incidences of burglaries in there too.

While a guard gated community is maybe one step above as far as safety goes as opposed to just a gated community with no guard, it is not an absolute deterrent to crime or a guarantee that no crime will happen there.

Guard gated communities are more expensive also, both in home prices and monthly HOA fees.

There are so many gated communities in Las Vegas/NLV/Henderson, but I don't know the cross streets of them.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-24-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
it is not an absolute deterrent to crime or a guarantee that no crime will happen there.

Of course it's not. I'm not sure there is such thing as an absolute deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas