U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM

191 posts, read 248,394 times

Advertisements

Other than walking into each and every one of them...like some sort of data base to check serial numbers? We recently had 2 watches stolen when we hired painters. Left them unattended (yeah, I know, I know ) in one of the bedrooms. (Watched them like a hawk in mine, though ) We just now realized 2 watches are definately gone. It has been about 2 weeks since they were here, and no police report filed. Can't prove anything, but 100% sure it was the painters, since no one else was in our home. I am thinking that maybe they were pawned, but Lord knows how many pawn shops are in this town. Probably won't see them again, but was hoping there were an easy way to check for stolen merchandise through serial numbers. Anyone? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM

579 posts, read 354,891 times
If you report them stolen and have the serial numbers Metro allegedly checks all of that for you. A pawn shop cannot sell something for x # of days after they buy it according to the neighborhood watch person who gave a speech at our neighborhood, I think it was 30 days.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM

57 posts, read 107,946 times
File a police report. I believe LVpoker is right with that the pawn shops have to wait 30 days before they attempt to sell their new goods. Back when we lived in Green Bay my wife and I had an "old high school friend" over after bumping into him. He used the bathroom and stole her family heirloom rings and then left quickly. It was so obvious it was him but we didn't physically see him do it. We called the police over and they had us draw a picture of the rings for them. The rings showed up in a pawn shop in Chicago and we got them back after having to wait a few weeks because the rings were now evidence. So file a report now. The sooner the better.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 PM

191 posts, read 248,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseton3 View Post
File a police report. I believe LVpoker is right with that the pawn shops have to wait 30 days before they attempt to sell their new goods. Back when we lived in Green Bay my wife and I had an "old high school friend" over after bumping into him. He used the bathroom and stole her family heirloom rings and then left quickly. It was so obvious it was him but we didn't physically see him do it. We called the police over and they had us draw a picture of the rings for them. The rings showed up in a pawn shop in Chicago and we got them back after having to wait a few weeks because the rings were now evidence. So file a report now. The sooner the better.

Wow! The odds of that happening seem slim to none...all from a picture?!?! Pretty lucky. I don't know the names of the painters, they were 2 Mexican guys that were working across the street at a foreclosed home. We just hired them on the spot. I will file, good idea. Lesson learned here

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM

57 posts, read 107,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
Wow! The odds of that happening seem slim to none...all from a picture?!?! Pretty lucky. I don't know the names of the painters, they were 2 Mexican guys that were working across the street at a foreclosed home. We just hired them on the spot. I will file, good idea. Lesson learned here
Yeah that was really lucky. My wife was freaking out when they were gone. When we filed a report, the PD assigned us some very hard working police officers. Also lesson learned here, don't let old high school friends use your bathroom if there's valuables left in there. Good Luck

Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 AM

393 posts, read 453,606 times
Yes need to file a police report and get a copy with the case number to carry with you. If you have had the watches cleaned, see if the jeweler kept any records. The serial numbers are very important as the Pawn Shops have to log them and police have access to them.

If you do happen find your item in a pawn shop you do not need to pay the pawn shop for their "investment" as some unscrupulous ones might have you to belive. Just call the police while you are there and give them your case number.
Additionally, check Craigslist and surrounding Craiglists you can't believe how many thieves list stuff they steal on Craigslist. If you see it on Craigslist don't call them call the assigned Detective and have him set up a "buy".

Also check with some of the jewelers in town who buy jewelry.

If you suspect your painter go to pawn shops around the area where the painter lives if you have that information.

I read of one guy who had a bunch of coins stolen from his home and he quickly ran up to the closest grocery store and caught the burglar cashing in his coins at the coinstar machine.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM

184 posts, read 222,773 times
Yeah, I had a Tiffany's watch stolen by a contractor here as well.

Also, had a custom made Italian/Swiss watch stolen at my house in Pebble Beach by a Hispanic house cleaner.

I didn't get either of them back. Should have filed a police report...oh well, I just learned that most of the time it's not worth it to have nice things.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM

4,862 posts, read 3,205,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Yes need to file a police report and get a copy with the case number to carry with you. If you have had the watches cleaned, see if the jeweler kept any records. The serial numbers are very important as the Pawn Shops have to log them and police have access to them.

If you do happen find your item in a pawn shop you do not need to pay the pawn shop for their "investment" as some unscrupulous ones might have you to belive. Just call the police while you are there and give them your case number.
Additionally, check Craigslist and surrounding Craiglists you can't believe how many thieves list stuff they steal on Craigslist. If you see it on Craigslist don't call them call the assigned Detective and have him set up a "buy".

Also check with some of the jewelers in town who buy jewelry.

If you suspect your painter go to pawn shops around the area where the painter lives if you have that information.

I read of one guy who had a bunch of coins stolen from his home and he quickly ran up to the closest grocery store and caught the burglar cashing in his coins at the coinstar machine.
Might not be a bad idea to check eBay too

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM

7,303 posts, read 5,594,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaned View Post
...oh well, I just learned that most of the time it's not worth it to have nice things.
Or, if you have nice things, lock them in a safe. Especially when dealing with hired help in Las Vegas. Buy a gun safe that's too big to move -- then you don't have to worry about someone stealing the safe. And you don't have to worry about someone stealing your gun and using it while committing a crime when you're on vacation.

Compared to a new Rolex, what's $750 for a safe at Costco?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 14,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Or, if you have nice things, lock them in a safe. Especially when dealing with hired help in Las Vegas. Buy a gun safe that's too big to move -- then you don't have to worry about someone stealing the safe. And you don't have to worry about someone stealing your gun and using it while committing a crime when you're on vacation.

Compared to a new Rolex, what's $750 for a safe at Costco?
Always wanted one of these but I'm thinking they weigh a LOT. How do you get it in your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas