U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 31,369 times

Advertisements

I hired a property manager to manage my rental house in Las Vegas in Jan. last year. A tenant family moved in in Feb, 2011 for an one year lease. Because of the poor credit report, the property manager said they would collect 2 months deposit, therefore I agreed to this rental.

The tenant had been late for the rent from the 3rd month and the 4th month, then moved out without notifying the property manager on the 5th month. The tenant did not pay all the utilities since the day they moved in. And the owner was liable to pay the water bill for the house by Las Vegas Law (for a couple of hundreds).

I talked to the property manager about the security deposit to cover for all the expenses, repairs, then they told me that they only collected 1 month deposit the day the tenant moved in. They said the 2nd month deposit was to be collected by the end of the 2nd month in the leasing agreement, but in fact they did not collect it at all by the time the tenant moved out.

The tenant broke many things in the house and I have spent about $2000 to repair. Now the problem is that the property manager is not giving me the security deposit and keep avoiding to talk to me over this issue.

Can anyone give me advice of how to handle this? I am thinking to file a complaint but don't know where to start.

I will appreciate of any advice I can get. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,282,918 times
I would talk to a real estate attorney pronto.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM

787 posts, read 1,559,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2012 View Post
I hired a property manager to manage my rental house in Las Vegas in Jan. last year. A tenant family moved in in Feb, 2011 for an one year lease. Because of the poor credit report, the property manager said they would collect 2 months deposit, therefore I agreed to this rental.

The tenant had been late for the rent from the 3rd month and the 4th month, then moved out without notifying the property manager on the 5th month. The tenant did not pay all the utilities since the day they moved in. And the owner was liable to pay the water bill for the house by Las Vegas Law (for a couple of hundreds).

I talked to the property manager about the security deposit to cover for all the expenses, repairs, then they told me that they only collected 1 month deposit the day the tenant moved in. They said the 2nd month deposit was to be collected by the end of the 2nd month in the leasing agreement, but in fact they did not collect it at all by the time the tenant moved out.

The tenant broke many things in the house and I have spent about $2000 to repair. Now the problem is that the property manager is not giving me the security deposit and keep avoiding to talk to me over this issue.

Can anyone give me advice of how to handle this? I am thinking to file a complaint but don't know where to start.

I will appreciate of any advice I can get. Many thanks.

Who is the property manager, just so I know to not use them if I'm ever looking (DM me)?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 PM

638 posts, read 1,956,310 times
I had a horrible experience with my property manager as well. I ended up just terminating our agreement, but I really feel like if I was closer and had the time/energy I should take him to court. He was a total deadbeat, but he knew I was 2000 miles away and I think he took advantage of it. Many of these property management companies seemed like they are overwhelmed and understaffed. Sorry to hear about your situation. I agree if you feel like you have been wronged, carefully go over your contract and if they broke the contract take them to small claims. If you dont want to take it that far, then file a complaint with the BBB.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM

815 posts, read 1,797,362 times
GLVAR, Dept of State, division of RE licensing...make sure you don't slander or they will have a case against you. If you have proof that they acted unethically, tell them that you will blow the whistle on them.. Sometimes they will settle without you doing anything.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Especially if they are guilty.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,882,717 times
Sounds like you had the same one I had one time. I told them if they didn't cut me a check then and there I would go to the Commissioner. They cut the check.

Nevada Real Estate Division

Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 329,480 times
Tough situation and I think hiring a real estate attorney is a nice suggestion by another poster, but you'll probably spend more than you hope to get back. Maybe calling one and paying for just legal advice would be a good idea. I'd go to small claims because of the amount and low cost involved. Have everything documented and all paperwork as proof with you when you go to court. I'd also tell the property mgt company you're filing a complaint with the Nevada Dept of real estate. This is the unfortunate side of owning rentals. I'd look at the bright side, too. Your horrible renter out of your property ( I would rather have an empty rental than a bad tenant ) and all repairs are a tax write off because it is a rental. I would take them to court, file a complaint with the Dept of RE and find a better property mgt company. Best of luck and I hope your next tenant is a good one.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 04-27-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Some PM outfits have you sign papers that prevents litigation. Disputes are settled by arbitration (by GLVAR?). If this clause is in the papers you signed, you are s*** out of luck. Better to cancel and find a new one, or they will continue to milk you.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 31,369 times
Appreciate all above responses.

So, I can (1) file complaint with the BBB. (2) file complaint with GLVAR, Dept of State, division of RE licensing (3) go to the Commissioner (4) file a complaint with the Nevada Dept of real estate.

I will google to find those places. If any of you know the contact info, I will be very grateful. By the way, what's the full name of the Commissioner?

Many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or