U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,524,150 times
was he clean or dirty? that's the 'tell'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM

4,623 posts, read 2,974,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
was he clean or dirty? that's the 'tell'
He was very clean. Again, I really thought he was an employee somehow! He had on a nice polo shirt, khaki shorts, sneakers and a baseball cap. He was very normal...oh yeah, of course he was, he was from Iowa!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,712,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
At the sign yesterday, there was a guy there helping people with pictures. Is this a paid person, and if so, who does he work for? He was pretty good, getting people to pose and whatnot.

He asked where I was from and got exicted when I told him...he's from Iowa, too.
So far as I know, there is no paid person to do this. This was someone trying to get some $$$ in tips.

Hope you had a great time ElleTea!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM

919 posts, read 917,900 times
$5 for taking a picture? He will get quite rich pretty soon.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,040,610 times
I have seen a few people out there doing that work. You can watch people take pictures at the sign all day long on this live cam. EarthCam - Las Vegas Cams

Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,624,524 times
Check your belongings in your car...something tells me this guy might have "friends" working with him.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Check your belongings in your car...something tells me this guy might have "friends" working with him.
Everything was lokced up, don't worry! I'm very cautious about that kind of thing. In the pic he took of me you can see my car keys in my hand LOL

It's a good pic though! Well, considering the subject anyway I had to do some cropping.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM

11,398 posts, read 19,772,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I really would have been fine with giving him a buck or two. He was doing much more than just snapping pictures, he was helping people pose in ways to get really good shots. Like the group of girls in front of me...he had them all jump on the count of three. He tried to get me to do a few poses, but I declined after one (hate having my pic taken and all) but it seemed to me like he really knew what he was doing. That is why I assumed he was working for someone!
A tip for tourists: He couldn't buy a Starbucks with a buck or two. At least three in this economy. Keep in mind that nearly 100% of people working in the tourist trade, no matter where it is, rely on tips for their income. In Italy I asked someone about that since I'd heard they don't expect tips in that country. She said, "They are not used to getting, but they know that you are used to giving." The implication was that no one would be insulted either way. But normally, for instance, if you don't want your drinks to come with a little extra something in them, make sure the server knows you at least plan to tip before you leave. It's not considered rude to offer a tip in Las Vegas, but it is considered rude not to in in tipping situations. There are few places that don't allow employees to take tips, and even if they do, about half of their employees will take one anyway.

BTW: The county isn't going to pay anyone to take pictures of tourists when they are cutting the pay of firefighters and laying off teachers.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM

460 posts, read 473,594 times
Was this mid morning? If so, he is a local wedding photographer, who was waiting on his clients to show up. He saw my cameras, so we talked about the new Nikons that are just being released.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
Was this mid morning? If so, he is a local wedding photographer, who was waiting on his clients to show up. He saw my cameras, so we talked about the new Nikons that are just being released.
This was about...1PM or so, maybe a bit later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas