Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 13,180 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone! I'm new to the board so thank you in advance for your patience with possibly stupid questions....

My husband has been offered a relocation to LV with his company. We currently live in Ontario Canada so this would be a MAJOR transition for us and our 2 school age girls. I am very familiar with Vegas (the strip as a tourist) but not the surrounding cities!

Currently I have been looking at rental homes (we will be renting for a while before we commit to buying) in Summerlin, Green Valley, and Anthem. I was hoping to get some opinions on these areas....or any other that I haven't considered. My husbands work is closer to the airport...but he is willing to commute further in order to get the best area for our family. Obviously safety and schools and community are what are important to us. We are coming from a small-medium size community that is very friendly and involved (farmers markets, small local businesses, etc)

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks very much!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_mama View Post
We are coming from a small-medium size community that is very friendly and involved (farmers markets, small local businesses, etc)
This is Las Vegas. We don't DO "friendly and involved."

Kidding aside, I think you're in for a very rude awakening. You currently have a better health care system, better schools, lower crime rates and a much better overall quality of life than we have in Las Vegas. Why do you want to move here?

And read up on the other 1 million "I'm moving to Las Vegas, tell me everything I want to know" threads. You'll be able to ask more specific questions that way.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM

611 posts, read 950,790 times
Our friends, also from Canada, have a nice little house in Henderson, La Mesa Drive area, and it is very family-oriented and quiet. We visited for an afternoon and spent time on their deck/pool and I almost felt like I was in a small Canadian town! We rented some video games and movies for their kids and the amenities were very close too.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,464 times
Better quality of life? By what stretch of the imagination? Scoopy why don't you just move to socal already with everybody else

Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Kidding aside, I think you're in for a very rude awakening. You currently have a better health care system,
Ummm, no, at least until ObamaCare fully kicks it. For all of it's warts, I prefer our system, even here in LV, over a socialized healthcare system anywhere.

Quote:
better schools,
Probably true, but would have to see data. Then again, the OP wants to move to the nicer parts of town where the schools fare better, so they might be on par with their current system.

Quote:
lower crime rates
Probably true as well, but need to see the data again. Ontario isn't exactly a small town either.

Quote:
and a much better overall quality of life than we have in Las Vegas.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Some will love it here, others won't.

Quote:
And read up on the other 1 million "I'm moving to Las Vegas, tell me everything I want to know" threads. You'll be able to ask more specific questions that way.
Agree. The search function is very helpful.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM

611 posts, read 950,790 times
I don't know if you will lose your Canadian medical after a certain term if you have the "permanent resident status" in U.S. now that your husband is working there. My neice had to pay a fortune for medical coverage once leaving Canada with her husband to Ohio. Hopefully the company your husband works for has a good US Med plan. Canadians, snowbirds, in particular have to be careful too. I don't know how Canadian medical plans find out that you are in another country but them and EI really do!!!

Here is an excellent "excerpt" from an information bulletin:

All provinces, except Ontario and Newfoundland, require you to actually live in your home province for at least six months plus a day (183 days in most years) in order to be considered a permanent resident of that province, and therefore qualified for provincial health insurance (medicare) benefits. That means actually residing in your home province and being able to prove it, if necessary, not simply owning a residence there and living in Portugal, Mexico or California for eight or nine months. That means you are allowed to be out-of-the province for half a year less a day—182 days. (Caution: once you are out of your province, that 183-day clock starts ticking. So if you ordinarily live in Manitoba and want to stay with family in Ontario for a month before leaving for Florida,
you will only have five months left to spend in the Sunshine State.)
Ontario allows you to be out of the country for 212 days (seven months) and Newfoundland for eight months without risking loss of your medicare benefits.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:00 PM

419 posts, read 906,707 times
Quote:
Kidding aside, I think you're in for a very rude awakening. You currently have a better health care system, better schools, lower crime rates and a much better overall quality of life than we have in Las Vegas. Why do you want to move here?....
Pretty funny. I guess the grass always looks greener, right? "better health care system"? ...The line about Canadian health care is, "it's great as long as you don't get sick!"....(check out all the Canadian ministers and other big shots coming to the USA for treatment!)

Canadian taxes to choke a horse, government regulation that never quits, winters that are "special"...and I'll agree life in a smaller Canadian town is DIFFERENT from LV, but BETTER?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
And who says the crime rate is lower?

The homicide rate will be very low. Very few places in Canada get to American levels.

But the crime rate? Different story. I would expect that any number of the large Canadians cities have property crime rates as bad or worse than Las Vegas. Particularly the cities in the prairies are a little rough and I would suspect that Toronto and much of Ontario is not a lot better.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And who says the crime rate is lower?

The homicide rate will be very low. Very few places in Canada get to American levels.

But the crime rate? Different story. I would expect that any number of the large Canadians cities have property crime rates as bad or worse than Las Vegas. Particularly the cities in the prairies are a little rough and I would suspect that Toronto and much of Ontario is not a lot better.
I imagine that's the kind of crime new members worry about. When people come here asking about safe areas, they're probably more concerned about homicide than petty theft. Just a hunch...

I swear, I could post that "water is wet" and you would wrack your brain to come up with a reason why it isn't. "When water is frozen solid it's not wet, Einstein. And it's not even all water! It's got lots of trace minerals in it. Whattaya think about THAT, eh?"

Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
I imagine that's the kind of crime new members worry about. When people come here asking about safe areas, they're probably more concerned about homicide than petty theft. Just a hunch...

I swear, I could post that "water is wet" and you would wrack your brain to come up with a reason why it isn't. "When water is frozen solid it's not wet, Einstein. And it's not even all water! It's got lots of trace minerals in it. Whattaya think about THAT, eh?"
only when you are wrong scoop and the topic is Las Vegas. And you are wrong with remarkable repeatability.

Homicide is a very rare crime. Property crimes are vastly more common and annoying. Canada and England both have very low homicide rates but relatively high crime rates.

You have already demonstrated your knowledge of water. No need to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas