Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,759 times

Advertisements

Wish me luck. Both are Sr I.T. jobs one with a gaming co and the other with a health care co. Both seem like great opportunities. Based on my phone interviews up to this point, should I be offered the jobs, I am leaning more towards the gaming company.

It has been 8 years since I have interviewed for a job. I am used to being on the interviewer side of these sorts of things. I am very nervous!!!

Any last minute tips to calm my nerves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
All I can do is wish you good luck. I have been out of work for 6 months myself.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM

That stinks LVD. I hope you have not given up looking!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Wish me luck. Both are Sr I.T. jobs one with a gaming co and the other with a health care co. Both seem like great opportunities. Based on my phone interviews up to this point, should I be offered the jobs, I am leaning more towards the gaming company.

It has been 8 years since I have interviewed for a job. I am used to being on the interviewer side of these sorts of things. I am very nervous!!!

Any last minute tips to calm my nerves?

GOOD LUCK !!
so..you are from California? do they pay your relocation? or do you have a second home in Henderson already? (looking at your profile)

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM

611 posts, read 951,045 times
I've worked in a few HR Depts in Education and here's my two bits worth....

1. Be calm...Take a few breaths and just imagine the interviewers (panel) are your buddies and just imagine sitting at lounge with them instead of a board room or internvew room. In a few months they just may be!
2. If you don't understand a question, don't be afraid to ask them to clarify it (better than trying to bluff your way through it)...For example, I was once asked if I was an introvert or extrovert...At the time I was young and didn't have a clue. Needless to say I got them mixed up and didn't get the job and I must of sounded like an idiot...LOL
3. When you are first being introduced give a nice firm handshake and just say something like "Hello, thank you for the opportunity for this interview"
4. At the end make sure to say something like "I look forward to working for "insert name of company". I hope I hear from you soon. Thanks again....
5. Somewhere during the interview they'll ask you if you have any questions. Don't just give them a blank stare and say no...Come up with something original without sounding like the money is the only important thing...Perhaps a question regarding benefits or ?...Do a bit of research on the company on the web prior to the interview so you can refer to that too.

Good luck...Let us know how you do! :-)

Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
I've worked in a few HR Depts in Education and here's my two bits worth....

1. Be calm...Take a few breaths and just imagine the interviewers (panel) are your buddies and just imagine sitting at lounge with them instead of a board room or internvew room. In a few months they just may be!
2. If you don't understand a question, don't be afraid to ask them to clarify it (better than trying to bluff your way through it)...For example, I was once asked if I was an introvert or extrovert...At the time I was young and didn't have a clue. Needless to say I got them mixed up and didn't get the job and I must of sounded like an idiot...LOL
3. When you are first being introduced give a nice firm handshake and just say something like "Hello, thank you for the opportunity for this interview"
4. At the end make sure to say something like "I look forward to working for "insert name of company". I hope I hear from you soon. Thanks again....
5. Somewhere during the interview they'll ask you if you have any questions. Don't just give them a blank stare and say no...Come up with something original without sounding like the money is the only important thing...Perhaps a question regarding benefits or ?...Do a bit of research on the company on the web prior to the interview so you can refer to that too.

Good luck...Let us know how you do! :-)

All good points. And it may sound cheesy, but send a thank you after the interview. A real life, in the mail card. It may do nothing, but it may also make you more memorable.

The main thing is RELAX and be yourself. Think of the interview as a conversation, not an interrogation session. I also try to walk in with the mentality that I already have the job. That doesn't mean be arrogant, but just tell yourself that you are already in. It's a helpful state of mind for me!

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Another point, from one who has conducted many interviews: Answer the question and give the interviewer(s) time to digest your answer and make notes. Don't try to fill the time with idle chatter. Several prospective employees have literally talked their way out of a job offer with irrelevant information they volunteered while trying to fill the silence (problems with supervisors, attendance issues, etc.). Bluntly put, answer the question and shut up.

Also, take a couple of seconds to ponder the question before you answer. Sometimes applicants are so anxious to answer that they focus on a couple of key words in the question but miss the main point of it. Their answers wind up being irrelevant to what was asked.

Good luck on your interviews.

Last edited by orca17; 05-10-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
If you're nervous, that's okay. It's normal. Do try to come up with some sample questions to ask yourself (and answer) in advance, such as why you are interested in the job, and why they should be interested in hiring you (don't just say because you need the job). Sure, you're hard working and will do your best, but who won't? What specifically about you would make you a good employee for that particualar job? What would you loike to be doing in five years? Do you have any hesitancy about moving to Las Vegas? You may not be asked these questions, but you may be asked somethinglike them, and this is your opportunity to give them reasons to be the one they hire, or at least called back if there's a second round of interviews. The advice to not try to b.s. an interviewer is excellent (many people try).

If you have any specific skills, talents, background that might set you apart from other applicants, don't be shy about mentioning that. I assume you've done some research about each organization, so you have an idea of the number of employees, how long they've been in business, what (if anything) sets the apart from others in the same field, etc.

The idea of asking a question at the end is good. You could ask something about your work (but probably not "How long are the breaks?" or "How soon can I take sick leave or vacation?"). You could also ask about the employing organization. And you can ask when they might make a decision and whether you'll hear even if you aren't chosen (or, if not, whether you could contact their office aftr a certain date).

Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM

1 down and at the end I was told, by the hiring manager that he would get with HR and put together an offer ASAP. Certainly gives me a ton of confidence as I. Get ready to head into my next interview. I am currently sitting in my car across the street and will head over in about 5 min.

Oh to the poster that asked, I do already own a 2nd home in Henderson. So housing or relocation is not an issue. I will maintain my house in Ca as well.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Sounds like it turned out well. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas