U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-10-2012, 11:24 PM

191 posts, read 194,960 times
Default Hiking near First Creek

I recently started taking early morning hikes at First Creek past Red Rock Canyon. I am wondering if anyone has seen rattle snakes or scorpions or poisonous spiders, especially by the pond area. I like to go with my dog, and worry she may startle one since she is so hyper when out there and loves to go running out past the trail. I have yet to see anything (except those really large, black flying bee-looking things that like to follow you) and wonder if they are around this area. A lot of foot traffic, so I imagine they stay clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-11-2012, 12:07 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,044,297 times
If there were any legitimate concerns I'm sure that warnings would be posted on the bulletin board just to the right of the trailhead.

Unread 05-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
If there were any legitimate concerns I'm sure that warnings would be posted on the bulletin board just to the right of the trailhead.
It mentions that if you see any of these, not to touch or harm them. That is why I asked if anyone has actually seen one there. I haven't. Yet.

Unread 05-11-2012, 12:34 AM

11,103 posts, read 17,805,403 times
Although I only remember seeing one in the road, there are plenty of rattlesnakes at Red Rock. You may never see one because; a. They know you are not food; and 2. They don't want to be stepped on. But dogs sticking their nose into a bush might get too close and present a threat to the snake, and end up with a bite. By the time you get the dog out of there and to a vet it might be too late. That's why God invented leashes, and even though hiking with a dog on a leash is no fun, the Park Rangers also expect you to keep them on a leash.

That said, our former pack hiked all over the west with us and never even saw a snake except for two nonpoisonous ones somewhere else. Our trail dog was always up ahead sniffing everything out, and the only time we ever feared for his life was when he decided to slide down a hill that was too steep and ended at a 100 foot drop off. It took him three or four tries in 4 wheel (foot) drive and putting it in granny gear to get back up to the trail.

I did worry about them getting bitten though, as we had friends that lost a dog to a snake at their ranch off Kyle Canyon Road near U.S.95.

Unread 05-11-2012, 12:38 AM

15,387 posts, read 20,511,138 times
I was taking a friend from Gnu Jersey up there once....YEARS ago....ehrn you could still drive all the way thru.....saw a BIG rock in the midde of the road....she crapped her britches....they dont have 9" tarantulas in NJ I guess

Unread 05-11-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I was taking a friend from Gnu Jersey up there once....YEARS ago....when you could still drive all the way thru.....saw a BIG rock in the middle of the road....she crapped her britches....they don't have 9" tarantulas in NJ I guess
That's the road where I saw the snake. My daughter put her head out to get a better look, it rattled, and she about broke her neck getting back in the truck.

Some a-hole with a northeast accent in the truck behind me said, "Let's kill it." I let him know I'd probably shove the snake up his nose if he tried it. It was the snake's home, not ours, and it wasn't hurting anyone. Besides it was cool to watch it.

Unread 05-11-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That's why God invented leashes, and even though hiking with a dog on a leash is no fun, the Park Rangers also expect you to keep them on a leash.

Yeah, those Park Rangers are real buzz kills. Technically she's on a leash, just dragging it behind her So do the snakes like to be near that pond? She likes to go in the water.

Unread 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,044,297 times
Snake proofing for dogs

Unread 05-11-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
Yeah, those Park Rangers are real buzz kills. Technically she's on a leash, just dragging it behind her So do the snakes like to be near that pond? She likes to go in the water.
Yes, snakes will almost always be around water. Dragging the leash doesn't count as being on a leash though.

Since snakes are only interested in eating and staying out from under the feet of big animals, and they only eat about once a week, you probably don't need to worry. But it's the life of your best friend that you are risking. Is it worth it?

Unread 05-11-2012, 12:33 PM

15,387 posts, read 20,511,138 times
had a siberian one time.....we were out by loch mead 4 wheelin....she was exploring.....she heard a bzzzzzz in the brush ..... stuck her nose in to check it out.......her nose got about the size of softball.....and she learned.....if it goes bzzzzzz stay away......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas