U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM

14 posts, read 7,449 times
Default Austin to Vegas

I am considering relocating to Las Vegas from Austin, TX. I don't know much about Vegas, since I have only been there for weekend trips or vacation. Is there more to Vegas than the strip? What parts of town are nice and a safe place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM

191 posts, read 215,559 times
Uh oh...get ready for the rude comments...

Old 05-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Aww, I hope not.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM

579 posts, read 287,196 times
Quote:
Is there more to Vegas than the strip?
This is what some people are going to take shots at. The Las Vegas Valley is a giant suburb that surrounds the strip and downtown. The best suggestion is to fly here, rent a car, and do some driving around. Search the forum for threads on the most popular places people move (Summerlin, Henderson, Anthem, Southern Highlands, Alliante and many more), visit them, then come back and ask specific questions about the areas.

A few hints - The strip is not even in the City of Las Vegas, and most people that live here do not ever go there unless they work there or have visitors in town. Few if any locals gamble there either, and MGM/CET give locals little incentive to do so. We may go see a show on the strip, and that is about it.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM

I will be there in corporate housing for 3 months, so I will have plenty of time to explore. I am pretty nervous about the move.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 PM

579 posts, read 287,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebling View Post
I will be there in corporate housing for 3 months, so I will have plenty of time to explore. I am pretty nervous about the move.
Have any children? If not, your options of where to move will be substantially higher since the good schools and family oriented neighborhoods are mostly found around the outer perimeter of the valley.

You will find once you are here that it is not much different than other places when you are away from the strip and downtown. It is one giant suburb with good areas and bad areas. As long as you do not have a gambling problem you will notice very little difference beyond the heat. Since you are coming here from Austin, I guess the weather will not be a major change.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM

15,387 posts, read 21,512,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
Uh oh...get ready for the rude comments...
I resemble that remark

Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
Have any children? If not, your options of where to move will be substantially higher since the good schools and family oriented neighborhoods are mostly found around the outer perimeter of the valley.

You will find once you are here that it is not much different than other places when you are away from the strip and downtown. It is one giant suburb with good areas and bad areas. As long as you do not have a gambling problem you will notice very little difference beyond the heat. Since you are coming here from Austin, I guess the weather will not be a major change.
No kids or gambling problems. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,204,236 times
Lake Mead is a lot like Lake Travis... without the water

Bud-dum-bum

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 AM

203 posts, read 328,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebling View Post
I am considering relocating to Las Vegas from Austin, TX. I don't know much about Vegas, since I have only been there for weekend trips or vacation. Is there more to Vegas than the strip? What parts of town are nice and a safe place to live?

Why would you move from one of the most vibrant city in the country to move to las Vegas with an unemployment of 12.5 percent as where Austins is 5.6 percent ?????? lived in vegas and been to austin there is no comparison austin is a terrific city with low unemployment and creating more jobs anywhere in the USA just my opinion thou .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas