Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM

102 posts, read 256,164 times

Advertisements

I don't think either restaurant is anything to write home about (food is mediocre or worse and the service stinks). That being said, I have returned here again and again because the view and fresh air are not to be matched. We also bring most visitors there and go during every season. It's just so darned beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
As already mentioned neither place has great food and it is expensive for what it is. I still love going up there during winter to play in the snow for maybe 15 minutes Go sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate, listen to music or whatever is going on up there at the hotel or lodge then go home. During the summer/fall I like to go hiking-it's smells so good up there & the weather is perfect. I'm easily amused so I like the pond with the ducks at the hotel & I always manage to see wild horses near the ski lifts. The hotel usually has a coupon in the valuepak? for a one night weekday stay for $99 with dinner & breakfast for 2.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcrawler View Post
I don't think either restaurant is anything to write home about (food is mediocre or worse and the service stinks). That being said, I have returned here again and again because the view and fresh air are not to be matched. We also bring most visitors there and go during every season. It's just so darned beautiful!
Are you referring to the lodge or the resort (or both)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
The hotel usually has a coupon in the valuepak? for a one night weekday stay for $99 with dinner & breakfast for 2.
Yeah, that's how I became familiar with it. I didn't realize that there was a separate property (the lodge) a mile up the road which, based on the comments on this thread, is apparently nicer/better.

BTW, we had planned to take advantage of that $99 special sometime this summer, but after our outing there earlier this week for lunch, we've definitely decided against doing so.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:04 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Yeah, that's how I became familiar with it. I didn't realize that there was a separate property (the lodge) a mile up the road which, based on the comments on this thread, is apparently nicer/better.

BTW, we had planned to take advantage of that $99 special sometime this summer, but after our outing there earlier this week for lunch, we've definitely decided against doing so.

Neither place is that great really, you just go up there for the scenery, hiking, snow whatever. You can rent a cabin in the lodge area I think, i've never done that. The lodge is too crowded on weekends & parking is a real pain. I think that coupon is a good deal if you just want to do something different one day.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Neither place is that great really, you just go up there for the scenery, hiking, snow whatever. You can rent a cabin in the lodge area I think, i've never done that. The lodge is too crowded on weekends & parking is a real pain. I think that coupon is a good deal if you just want to do something different one day.
Agreed -- both "resorts" make their money by being the only game in town. If you want to escape the heat in the summer or go skiing in the winter, and you don't want to drive more than an hour, your choices are limited.

I'm surprised one or the other of them doesn't hire a good exec. chef and really throw down quality food. But then again, their target market probably isn't interested in foie gras.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Agreed -- both "resorts" make their money by being the only game in town. If you want to escape the heat in the summer or go skiing in the winter, and you don't want to drive more than an hour, your choices are limited.

I'm surprised one or the other of them doesn't hire a good exec. chef and really throw down quality food. But then again, their target market probably isn't interested in foie gras.

There menus look pretty reasonably priced and pretty much standard fare with a couple odd items thrown in. Of course, it all depends on teh execution.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

I've wondered that myself, Scoop. With the right food, one of those places could probably be a goldmine. Maybe we could call in Robert Irvine from 'Restaurant Impossible:

Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Maybe the delivery makes it more expensive for what it is. I couldn't believe a mug of hot chocolate was like 8 bucks!!! And that is just one of those restaurant coffee cups! But, the ambiance is what makes the place. I have never been there when I have had to wait to get seated, even on the weekends (the lodge restaurant anyway). I don't think they are a bit concerned with having anything fanicier than what they have.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 PM

102 posts, read 256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Both. I've thought the same as many of the PPs. Either place would probably make a great episode of "Kitchen Nightmares." Such a tremendous amount of potential and such poor execution. There is definitely a lot of microwaving and defrosting going on up on that mountain. But they have the monopoly on the scenery...I just wish the food and service were better in both places.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've wondered that myself, Scoop. With the right food, one of those places could probably be a goldmine. Maybe we could call in Robert Irvine from 'Restaurant Impossible:
Both resorts are likely raking in the bucks, buying SysCo food and selling it at a premium. I doubt either place is having difficulty turning a profit. Short of packing a picnic, they are after all the only game in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas