Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

After living here for 2+ years, my wife and I finally took a drive up Kyle Canyon Road to check out the scenery and to stop at the Resort at Mt. Charleston for lunch. Well, first of all, calling that place a resort is a gross overstatement. It is more akin to a rustic Motel 6 with a restaurant. The food was just okay and the service was perfunctory, but the view out the window was very nice. Obviously, we won't be back.

I understand that the Mt. Charleston Lodge was another mile (and 2000' elevation) up the road. Is that a nicer facility? Is the food any better? IOW, is there any reason to check out the lodge, or should I just wait until the winter season and go to the ski resort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
After living here for 2+ years, my wife and I finally took a drive up Kyle Canyon Road to check out the scenery and to stop at the Resort at Mt. Charleston for lunch. Well, first of all, calling that place a resort is a gross overstatement. It is more akin to a rustic Motel 6 with a restaurant. The food was just okay and the service was perfunctory, but the view out the window was very nice. Obviously, we won't be back.

I understand that the Mt. Charleston Lodge was another mile (and 2000' elevation) up the road. Is that a nicer facility? Is the food any better? IOW, is there any reason to check out the lodge, or should I just wait until the winter season and go to the ski resort?
The Mt. Chas "Resort" is what we locals refer to as Mt. Chas. "Hotel". It doesn't look it, but is much newer than the Lodge. Although the hotel has been there since the 70s, the Lodge has been there forever...it came with the mountain. I don't think it is 2000' higher, but I do think it is at least 1000' higher than the hotel.

The Lodge, however, has better food. But you don't go to Mt. Charleston for the food. You go for the scenery, the fresh air, hiking, family picnics, etc. What took you so long to go up the hill anyway? We don't eat there often, but now and then we take guests up for breakfast on the patio, depending on whether it's cold. We seldom eat at the hotel voluntarily ...just meetings, etc.

Unless there has been a big change at the Ski & Snowboard Park in Lee Canyon, there is just a snack bar. On a cold day of skiing the chili is good, but I think it comes from a can. There is a bar for drinks, but why anyone drinks at high elevation is beyond me. I'm sure you know that the ski area is miles from the hotel or lodge on another highway. I think the bar might be open year round now because I think in summer they may have started opening the lifts, and you might be able to ride up and walk down.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The Mt. Chas "Resort" is what we locals refer to as Mt. Chas. "Hotel". It doesn't look it, but is much newer than the Lodge. Although the hotel has been there since the 70s, the Lodge has been there forever...it came with the mountain. I don't think it is 2000' higher, but I do think it is at least 1000' higher than the hotel.
Well, the last sign I recall passing on the way to the Resort stated we were at 5000' and the Lodge website states it is at 7700'.

Quote:
The Lodge, however, has better food. But you don't go to Mt. Charleston for the food. You go for the scenery, the fresh air, hiking, family picnics, etc. What took you so long to go up the hill anyway?
I dunno; I guess we just usually head to Red Rock when we are in a scenery state of mind. We had relatives visiting this week and since we had already taken them to Red Rock, decided it was an opportunity to check out a different area.

Quote:
I'm sure you know that the ski area is miles from the hotel or lodge on another highway. I think the bar might be open year round now because I think in summer they may have started opening the lifts, and you might be able to ride up and walk down.
Yes, I was aware of its location. We asked at the hotel if the ski resort was open, but were told that it was closed until winter. I've since learned that the ski resort is open at least occasionally in the summer and that they hold concerts and bbq's. We may have to check it out.

Thanks for all of the info.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
We've always gone to the Lodge for dinner or lunch. For many years, they had an old fashioned, German Oompah band that used to play in the dining room, (I think they were called the Dumpkophfs or similiar) with authentic old country German costumes. Don't know if they still play there or not, haven't been up there to eat in a while.

It's real nice to take visitors up there who never expect the climate and scenery change so close to Las Vegas.

Now mind you, the food is not gourmet, but for the ambiance and the location it is always a nice change away from the hustle and bustle of the valley.

Last edited by MomMom; 05-16-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
I've found the food in both spots to be good. Then again, I don't travel the world eating in 5 star restaurants either. Normally I just bring a snack with me when I go up there.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
This ain't the strip, it is a rural tourist attraction. I have eaten there and the food and prices were fair. I went for the scenery and change in climate. It was nice to see nothing but trees and no cactus. Nice day trip for a change in venues and a good opportunity for some good pictures.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
I like the lodge, but then, I am a lodge-type person. It is rustic and actual trees that are green and occur naturally all around. It gets pretty crowded on the weekend from what I have seen. Some nice hiking trails if that is your thing.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I like the lodge, but then, I am a lodge-type person. It is rustic and actual trees that are green and occur naturally all around. It gets pretty crowded on the weekend from what I have seen. Some nice hiking trails if that is your thing.
Same here. Mt. Charleston is my favorite place to go for a quick trip (I'm close to there, though) and especially when we have visitors. Between all the visitors and us, we have probably tried every item on the menu. Some of it is just good, all ok. Many of my visitors liked the Elk burger. I didn't try it. Every visitor LOVED it up there and could not believe it was a short distance from the Strip. I did go once in the fall (favorite time there!) and they were having an Ocktoberfest with a special menu and it was very good! More than the food, I love the ambiance there. Any season and they are different.

I have never eaten at the Resort but we did stop there and there was a wedding going on. It was ok. I am sure if you put the place in another town it would be considered nicer, but in Las Vegas you are competing with the big dogs!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 PM

383 posts, read 900,865 times
The outdoor porch at the lodge is a great place to have lunch. Definately worth the extra 10 minutes it takes to get there. Pretty cool gift shop as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 AM

395 posts, read 1,080,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, the last sign I recall passing on the way to the Resort stated we were at 5000' and the Lodge website states it is at 7700'.
The lodge is at about 7600 feet and the resort around 6800-7000. See this link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas