Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM

84 posts, read 360,103 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your kindness and prayer. Good luck on your future plans too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalomares View Post
Hey, goodluck on your new job parking, I pray for a last minute miracle for you. Who knows, maybe by some strange fluke of luck thing somebody will call you right before you leave. Or worse case scenario, they call you when you are back in sf. Hey, how fast do SF trollies go. Ours here in G-Town (Galveston Island Texas nickname) are about 5mph. I am still going to go there in the summer of 2009 at take a shot at it. I will more than likely stay and work anything until I get a Coders position. I have no family or a reason to return to Texas, I hate this place. Good Luck though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 PM

47 posts, read 346,502 times
I am applying for mostly receptionist positions. I have some experience in this work, but not a whole lot. I'm just looking for a job where I can work my way up, like a lawyer's office (my prior reception job). If you can believe it, I used to look around and just walk into places, (dressed nice of course) and ask if they needed any help... I got this question every time: "Do you have a resume?" "Noo.." I'd say. They'd say, "well, we always accept resumes". Don't any businesses' still carry the standard application? I wasn't happy with my resume, but I've finally got it looking good. I got a few jobs without the resume. Now without a car, it's difficult. I did CNA work in the past, (nursing assistant), which pretty much counts for nothin! Anyway, I still have one interview today, but it is too far so it probably won't work out. The other ones I don't find out until later. I can't believe I haven't heard back from Monday's interviewer... The one earlier went ok...

Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 PM

264 posts, read 397,768 times
Go to a temp agency. This is much better than pounding pavements passing out resumes that only end up in the trash.

If you are a mature disciplined worker someone will find you, and you will be getting income at the same time. You will be put into areas where your skills can probably be used..although not necessarily..and if you are a good worker, someone will want to keep you.

My wife went to a temp agency, and within a month ended up working full time with a company she loved, doing a job that made her extremely happy, making a wage that made us both smile.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

47 posts, read 346,502 times
Really? A temp agency huh? I have been hesitate to go that route. I want full-time, permanent employment. But what you're saying kind of makes sense. I am a very hard working, intelligent, young person. I admit I can be picky about jobs. But I think I deserve a chance and could do really well if given the opportunity. I had an interview today I was excited about, get this; My roommate takes me to the interview, I told the receptionist I was there, she goes and talks to someone, comes back and sheepishly says; "I'm sorry the position was filled this morning!" Ah! I was going to schedule the interview for the morning too. They could have at least called me! I guess they forgot.. Uh huh! Oh well. I was offered a job today, but it is way too far, and the people... It was the strangest interview ever.. I am finding myself even being overlooked by call center places! I believe it is because of the huge pool of applicants. Crazy. I also think employers don't take me seriously because I am young. I am 21, but look even younger. Well there's always Target...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:13 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
Temp Agency doesn't nessarily mean Part Time. Means weekly, monthly, work and may or may not be full/part time. For instance, a secretary has a family emergency and has to travel to another state for 3 months, companies use Temp Agencies for a quick but not permanent fill. Other companies use Temp Agencies to get workers temporarily, then if you are a good fit for their company, they offer you a full time position.
Please don't look at it the way you are, use it as a stepping stone. GOOD LUCK

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 AM

42 posts, read 244,559 times
You might check craigslist they have lots of job postings on there...

craigslist: las vegas classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Temp to perm is the term. Hmm, I didn't mean that to rhyme. But temp agency work is a great way to find a permanent job and earn money while you look. In my experience, a lot, if not most, temp jobs turn into permanent jobs.

As for the 5% unemployment rate...it has been a lot higher than that several times in the past. But right now it's because the housing market is in a huge slump. That effects everybody.

For anyone looking for work, I recommend the book, What Color is My Parachute. It will help you find work. I also recommend that you don't panic. Try to chill out and take the attitude that you are going to interview them about whether you want their job. Be polite, but be in control. And whatever you do, don't appear to be needy.

This may sound a little airy fairy maybe, but here's the thing. What you fear you become. What you resist you get. Parking, I think you might be in total fear that you won't get a job, so naturally, you won't. We get what we put our attention on. You may think you are working hard to get a job, but what you are really doing is working hard not to be out of a job...and that's what your attention is on...being out of a job. So naturally you'll have what your attention is on...being out of a job.

My football team, WVU, last Friday lost to South Florida because they weren't concentrating on winning; they were concentrating on not losing.

How do you do that? Well, I recall being out of work in 1970 and about ready to just shoot myself, when a friend introduced me to a course in communication. I was scared to death to spend what little money I had on the course, but I did. Anyway, about a week later I felt empowered; especially since I realized that up to that point I had never been able to communicate. That's when I ran into a guy I knew who told me he was working at a local radio station and he thought they needed someone in sales. I remember thinking, "that's my job". So I made an appointment and went in and more or less told the manager I was coming to work for him...when do I start?

Of course, he was impressed and I started the next day.

Back in another life when I was in the Marine Reserves, I was training at Parris Island for the second summer in a row, and my buddy was there for his first time. He was so scared I thought he was going to break, so I told him how I got through my first time. I decided not to give a sh**. After all, what is the worst that could happen? They aren't allowed to kill you. He still talks about how I saved him from panic way back then.

So just chill. My doc tells me that her best patients are the ones who don't worry about their health, don't want to know details, and they just take their illness in stride.

Throughout life we all go through all kinds of things that just add up to life experience. And down the road we look back and say, I'm glad that happened, because if it hadn't, I wouldn't be where I am today. Remember, it's all good and life is merely a game. That doesn't mean nothing in life is serious...it just means life has all the elements of games, and all games consist of only these three things...freedoms, barriers, and purposes. Play to win, not to avoid losing.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 AM

229 posts, read 814,634 times
Parking, what's the mood ring say your mood is? It sounds like Buzz knows the way of the Force. Just kidding Buzz. I agree with most of what he says, except for the part about coming in and making a statement, "I'm coming to work for you, when do I start?" I picture you getting nervous laughter and a b.s. excuse about H.R. and the "process" ect. This isn't the good ol days anymore. Today everything is a bureaucracy. Buzz, I like what you said about attitude and being in control of the interview. I find that sometime in an interview my brain and my mouth don't always cooperate. I have started out in control, realized I wasn't as prepared as I thought, then slowly lost momentum. I hate'em, they seldom show the interviewer that person's true character or skills, but I don't see a better way to find good people.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM

150 posts, read 636,103 times
Parking: Clark County has an IT job on their website open right now.

Job Title: SYSTEMS OPERATOR I/II
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 10/19/07 5:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $35,401.60 - $59,217.60 annually
Job Type: PERMANENT
Department: Information Technology
Exam Number: 607525

But like everyone said, don't expect the high pay.

I started in the low 50s when I moved here (way lower than my previous state) and that is with 3 college degrees in IT (MS included), 3 Cisco certs, 2 security certs and MS certs. 4 years later I have gotten to near 70K.

Get your foot in the door and know that you have alot of competition with everyone else that comes here looking for all the jobs.

Last edited by VegasResident; 10-05-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
[quote=ackackack;1657029]I agree with most of what he says, except for the part about coming in and making a statement, "I'm coming to work for you, when do I start?" QUOTE]

Where did I say that. There you go putting words in my post again. This is what I said; "more or less told the manager I was coming to work for him...when do I start?"

I was implying that was my attitude. I'm not stupid enough to use those exact words, and I hope people understood that. It was a sales job...I sold him.

I've had lots of job interviews in my life, and I've conducted lots of job interviews with job seekers, as I mostly was one of the hiring authorities in my career in television.

Interesting that the State of Nevada does it right though (at least in this situation); they encourage State employees to apply for all the internal openings that they can in order to get experience in job interviews. That way, when the big opportunity comes up, you'll be ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: