U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Chihuahuan Desert
2,521 posts, read 5,066,037 times
Reputation: 1167
Default Walking between hotels on the strip?

If there's a current post somewhere that addresses this, then please by all means point me there! I couldn't find the right keywords to find one.

Someone recently told me that you can no longer walk on the street level between the hotels on the strip and must use the monorail or some kind of elevated sidewalk - is that accurate?

I haven't been in about 8 years and things change quite rapidly there, so before I book a room about a half mile from the event hotel (Flamingo), I thought I'd ask...will I be able to walk between where I stay and the Flamingo?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
 
13 posts, read 20,524 times
Reputation: 20
You can still walk along the street but when you get to the corners there are "overpasses" that make it safer for the pedestrians to cross.

Follow the crowd you will be fine. Where are you staying?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Lancaster, CA / Henderson, NV
469 posts, read 297,094 times
Reputation: 353
So, last night was the first night I have walked the strip in several years. The in-laws were visiting and wanted to park at Monte Carlo and walk to Bellagio and back. All I can say is "WTF! Where did all the hoochi mamas come from?" I am as red blooded as any American male but holy crap! I have never seen so many skirts barely covering the hoochi coochi and so many 6 inch stilettos in a 3 block area in my life.

Yes, there is virtually no more walking along the street as there used to be. Mostly overpasses with escalator and elevator access for those that don't want to take the stairs. All the doors leading you into the hotels (for those that want the air conditioned route) will take you past all the high end stores (Rolex, Gucci, Tiffany & Co etc.). Take the non-air conditioned route outside and you are constantly bombarded by the card smacking "Girls to your room in 20 minutes or less" folks, so pick your poison.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM
 
Location: H-Town... "A place to call home"
2,532 posts, read 2,356,554 times
Reputation: 873
Bring along a skateboard and use the porn slappers as slalom poles!

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Chihuahuan Desert
2,521 posts, read 5,066,037 times
Reputation: 1167
Is it safe to walk after dark? Say from the Flamingo to Tuscany Suites/Casino? Although staying at the Flamingo is starting to sound much easier.

Dang. And it used to be fun to walk up and down the strip, in and out of the various places.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 AM
 
Location: H-Town... "A place to call home"
2,532 posts, read 2,356,554 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Is it safe to walk after dark? Say from the Flamingo to Tuscany Suites/Casino? Although staying at the Flamingo is starting to sound much easier.

Dang. And it used to be fun to walk up and down the strip, in and out of the various places.
Be advised, the walking distances between resorts is farther than you think. When they built them they incorporated architectural tricks into making the buildings look closer than they really are. Like using windows that cover 4 rooms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 AM
 
579 posts, read 332,724 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Is it safe to walk after dark? Say from the Flamingo to Tuscany Suites/Casino? Although staying at the Flamingo is starting to sound much easier.

Dang. And it used to be fun to walk up and down the strip, in and out of the various places.
I don't think that is as close as you think it is. It will be a 15-20 minute walk. It is probably safe, but it would be a $6-7 cab ride. I guess it depends on if you want to walk that distance. You may see a few lowlifes, but I would feel safe walking it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
 
Location: The Valley of the Sun
4,623 posts, read 2,971,000 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Be advised, the walking distances between resorts is farther than you think. When they built them they incorporated architectural tricks into making the buildings look closer than they really are. Like using windows that cover 4 rooms.
Yep. When you walk on the strip it feels like the buildings are getting farther away the closer you get!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
 
919 posts, read 917,198 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yep. When you walk on the strip it feels like the buildings are getting farther away the closer you get!
And the walk way on the strip is designed in a way to force you to get to certain stores, walk around it, before you can continue on to your destination.
For example, Hawaiian Marketplace on the strip. They block off the striaight line pedestrian sidewalk, and force you to walk into the "marketplace", take a big detour.
It's just annoying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
 
278 posts, read 498,150 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
So, last night was the first night I have walked the strip in several years. The in-laws were visiting and wanted to park at Monte Carlo and walk to Bellagio and back. All I can say is "WTF! Where did all the hoochi mamas come from?" I am as red blooded as any American male but holy crap! I have never seen so many skirts barely covering the hoochi coochi and so many 6 inch stilettos in a 3 block area in my life.

Yes, there is virtually no more walking along the street as there used to be. Mostly overpasses with escalator and elevator access for those that don't want to take the stairs. All the doors leading you into the hotels (for those that want the air conditioned route) will take you past all the high end stores (Rolex, Gucci, Tiffany & Co etc.). Take the non-air conditioned route outside and you are constantly bombarded by the card smacking "Girls to your room in 20 minutes or less" folks, so pick your poison.
in case you or the in laws didn't know, you can take a tram from monte carlo to the bellagio. it makes a stop at aria and crystals (shopping). unless of course they just wanted to see the strip.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top