Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

I'm planning WAY ahead, but I am wondering...who here has driven to LV from the east? And what route did you take?

I would likely make the trip in 2 days, but since I may be travelling in winter, I am thinking taking a southern route (not through Utah) would be a good idea, though it may add hours to my trip.

Any experiences?

Last edited by ElleTea; 05-30-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
I have driven to Vegas from Colorado (Denver area) when we lived there.. And YES DO NOT take theNorthern routes in Winter.. Southern is the better way to go.. And that could mean going waaaay down south to I-10

I-70 could be snowed in as could I-40 in northern Arizona.... Looks like the best way to go inWinter is down to Kansas City to Wichita and then take _I-40 towards Las Vegas and hope that it is ok when you get towards Flagstaff which can be a real B**ch in the winter at 7000 feet elevation...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
I wouldnt go as far down as I10....but I would plan on I40....as you approach Flag, pay close attention to the weather....and then go like hell.....and wave when ya go thru kingman.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
True, I-40 would be the best just watch out near Flagstaff.. We had to go to Denver in Dec 2010 and ended up coming back thru Flagstaff.. When we got in that night it was cold and misty.. When we got up next morning ti was starting a full blown blizzard and we JUST made it out before they started to close the roads....

Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
True, I-40 would be the best just watch out near Flagstaff.. We had to go to Denver in Dec 2010 and ended up coming back thru Flagstaff.. When we got in that night it was cold and misty.. When we got up next morning ti was starting a full blown blizzard and we JUST made it out before they started to close the roads....
I would be driving from Des Moines, and the ideal route would be I80 to Denver then go to Grand Junction and south (shortest) but looking at my atlas (I love maps) I see a route that would take me down to Ok City then west thru Flagstaff, is that I40?

I'm ok with some snow (I am used to it) but not ice or a blizzard.

I just thought it would be fun to map out possible routes now and decide where I might stay for the night. And I might even be able to write a book about my trip with my animals

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm planning WAY ahead, but I am wondering...who here has driven to LV from the east? And what route did you take?

I would likely make the trip in 2 days, but since I may be travelling in winter, I am thinking taking a southern route (not through Utah) would be a good idea, though it may add hours to my trip.

Any experiences?
I have driven from Des Moines to Las Vegas a few times. I took the interstate all the way through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and then Nevada. It is kind of fun through Colorado as you will drive through huge mountains at very high elevations. It got down as low as 30 degrees, and that was in July! In saying that, I would not even consider driving here in the winter. I would either leave before October OR wait until at least April IMO.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM

you can get to Denver, THEN make the decision, based upon the weather, if you go I70 or take I25 south to Alb then 40 west...
I 7o is an outstanding road...time your trip so that you go UP the hill outta denver in late morning then DOWN the hill in the afternoon.....nbest chance for the icy spots to be melted.....from there on its great til I15 then you only have to watch for Cedar City.....itas about 10 hours from Denver to Las Vegas

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have driven from Des Moines to Las Vegas a few times. I took the interstate all the way through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and then Nevada. It is kind of fun through Colorado as you will drive through huge mountains at very high elevations. It got down as low as 30 degrees, and that was in July! In saying that, I would not even consider driving here in the winter. I would either leave before October OR wait until at least April IMO.
If all goes according to plan, it will be January. I've driven through Colorado and really dont want to do that again. I'd also like to skip Nebraska. LOL

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Ive Driven it a dozen times in all kinds of weather and its really a pieceof cake and you already know how to drive in snow.....Colorado and Utah BOTH take excellant care of their winter roads

I agree....Nebraska should be eliminated

Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
you can get to Denver, THEN make the decision, based upon the weather, if you go I70 or take I25 south to Alb then 40 west...
I 7o is an outstanding road...time your trip so that you go UP the hill outta denver in late morning then DOWN the hill in the afternoon.....nbest chance for the icy spots to be melted.....from there on its great til I15 then you only have to watch for Cedar City.....itas about 10 hours from Denver to Las Vegas
This makes sense. Calculating routes, it seems Denver is kinda the mid point almost any way I look at it. I have family in Ft Collins so maybe I can work that out as a stopping point. It's about 10 hours from here to Denver.

My plans are way early, but I am a planner so I was just thinking about it today.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas