Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,041 times

Advertisements

In a very general sense, Las Vegas is pretty classic in that the "inner city" locales are less safe and the "suburbs" on the proximity are more safe. If you can afford to look anywhere on the outside proximity of town, you'll be fine. The areas in town are quite nice, too, until you get into the innermost pockets of North Las Vegas and areas near Downtown, the Strip, and the lettered streets.

I live in the 89128 zip myself, and that's just inside Summerlin off US-95. It's a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,712 times
Hi, my family, and I'm still thinking about it. Are looking to move to the area. But need a safe, but aforedable area out side the city if there is such a place.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Hi, my family is looking to maybe move to Vegas, and is looking for a safe, but aforedable neighborhood on the surrounding area of the city. Have kids and pets, not trying to have to give up the pets if don't have to.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Default Hi

?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Every time I come on City-Data I see a post from someone begging to be told an area is "safe."

You can find out areas of any city where crimes are denser by using a crime map. That still doesn't tell you everything you need to know. For example, the more interesting areas are often also places with more crime. Will you be content living in a boring area? I'm not. Do you want to have to drive and hour to work each day? That would probably get you in a lower crime area. Areas around universities tend to have higher property and sex crimes, yet they are still very popular for students. My point is, you have to be responsible for your own safety. Everyone does.

That's not to say you should live in fear -- but you do have to take precautions to protect yourself. You can't just move to an area that "people say" is safe and then stop thinking about your safety. I've lived in urban areas from coast to coast and I've written my tips for urban safety. They assume apartment living, but even if you buy a house, they apply.

*Change the locks on any new place you move to. Get good ones. Use them.
*Know your neighbors. Better yet, chat with them before you move in and don't rent there if you think they're creepy.
*Get an apartment that has lighted parking and a well-lit entrance not surrounded by bushes.
*Don't assume a gate means an apartment complex is "safe."
*Don't buzz people in unless they are your personal guests.
*Make sure no one can see into your windows at night and make sure your windows lock.
*If you have a patio door, make sure it has more to protect it than a snap lock.
*Shred bills, bank statements, etc., before you throw them away.
*Use your computer safely.
*Keep your car locked and look in the backseat every time you get in.
*Don't keep valuables in your car.
*When you go shopping put your purchases in the trunk.
*Don't walk around at night by yourself. If you must, keep your keys in your fist with the keys sticking between your fingers.
*Wear shoes that you can walk quickly and confidently in.
*Try not to carry a handbag at night. If you must, use a cross-body strap. Your safety is more important than fashion.
*Carry a whistle and/or pepper spray.
*Keep your cell phone charged and turned on.
*Don't get so involved in cell phone conversations or music on ear buds that you're oblivious to what's going on around you, even in daytime. Conduct your private conversations in private places.
*If a person or a place ever makes you feel weird, do NOT tell yourself you're being paranoid. Get away from them/it immediately, even if it makes you look crazy. Your gut knows more than your brain.
*Don't act flirty with complete strangers. It's shocking how many people think they have to be nicey-nice and engage in charming repartee under all circumstances. Do you want to date the pest control person or the bank teller? If not, make sure your interactions are strictly professional. Don't be rude, but don't be talk too much about yourself with strangers. That's how people attract stalkers.
*Don't assume a gun can make up for any of these rules.
*And remember that security cameras only help you after an incident.

Yes, it's terrible you have to do all these things. But when any criminal picks a victim s/he goes for the most vulnerable. Don't be that person. Just be careful and look for a place to live the way hockeygirl4 recommended above.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
^^^^^^
Great post.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 AM

22 posts, read 56,519 times
Reprogram your car door locks. You do not want all 4 doors unlocking as soon as you put your car in park.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Every time I come on City-Data I see a post from someone begging to be told an area is "safe."

You can find out areas of any city where crimes are denser by using a crime map. That still doesn't tell you everything you need to know. For example, the more interesting areas are often also places with more crime. Will you be content living in a boring area? I'm not. Do you want to have to drive and hour to work each day? That would probably get you in a lower crime area. Areas around universities tend to have higher property and sex crimes, yet they are still very popular for students. My point is, you have to be responsible for your own safety. Everyone does.

That's not to say you should live in fear -- but you do have to take precautions to protect yourself. You can't just move to an area that "people say" is safe and then stop thinking about your safety. I've lived in urban areas from coast to coast and I've written my tips for urban safety. They assume apartment living, but even if you buy a house, they apply.

*Change the locks on any new place you move to. Get good ones. Use them.
*Know your neighbors. Better yet, chat with them before you move in and don't rent there if you think they're creepy.
*Get an apartment that has lighted parking and a well-lit entrance not surrounded by bushes.
*Don't assume a gate means an apartment complex is "safe."
*Don't buzz people in unless they are your personal guests.
*Make sure no one can see into your windows at night and make sure your windows lock.
*If you have a patio door, make sure it has more to protect it than a snap lock.
*Shred bills, bank statements, etc., before you throw them away.
*Use your computer safely.
*Don't keep valuables in your car.
*When you go shopping put your purchases in the trunk.
*Don't walk around at night by yourself. If you must, keep your keys in your fist with the keys sticking between your fingers.
*Wear shoes that you can walk quickly and confidently in.
*Try not to carry a handbag at night. If you must, use a cross-body strap. Your safety is more important than fashion.
*Carry a whistle and/or pepper spray.
*Keep your cell phone charged and turned on.
*Don't get so involved in cell phone conversations or music on ear buds that you're oblivious to what's going on around you, even in daytime. Conduct your private conversations in private places.
*If a person or a place ever makes you feel weird, do NOT tell yourself you're being paranoid. Get away from them/it immediately, even if it makes you look crazy. Your gut knows more than your brain.
*Don't act flirty with complete strangers. It's shocking how many people think they have to be nicey-nice and engage in charming repartee under all circumstances. Do you want to date the pest control person or the bank teller? If not, make sure your interactions are strictly professional. Don't be rude, but don't be talk too much about yourself with strangers. That's how people attract stalkers.
*Don't assume a gun can make up for any of these rules.
*And remember that security cameras only help you after an incident.

Yes, it's terrible you have to do all these things. But when any criminal picks a victim s/he goes for the most vulnerable. Don't be that person. Just be careful and look for a place to live the way hockeygirl4 recommended above.
Great post! I always like to say that you're better off being too paranoid than too naive. If you're wrong in either case, the former just looks/feels silly whereas the latter can be downright devastating.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM

124 posts, read 476,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Great post! I always like to say that you're better off being too paranoid than too naive. If you're wrong in either case, the former just looks/feels silly whereas the latter can be downright devastating.
I agree!! Great post!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
[quote=Jukesgrrl;15424244]

Has this happened to you before? I only see that type of thing in the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas