Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,935,275 times

Advertisements

Tinnkerbelle, lvoc is right on all counts. Your hubby's friend is dead wrong. Maybe he meant to avoid Henderson because it's on the other side of town from where you may be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM

99 posts, read 162,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
There are very nice/safe places to live in the Northern part of LV. You just need to come out to take a look at which neighborhood fits your needs and budget.
Thank you Logline for the reply..I am torn between San Diego/Las Vegas area. The rational side of my brain says "Vegas would be better", but have this little voice saying "Oh but So.Ca". I will be on my own/with doggie soooooo this will be hard. I can not handle the long & cold winters in Iowa by myself...I have plently of family & friend who may/may not support my decision but what the heck, life is short. I need to work that is why I was looking into the VA hospital...I hope to get out there for a visit....Thank you again for the help.....Have a good weekend....

Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,520,350 times
I am a Southern Californian who once considered moving to Las Vegas. I have always had a draw to it, but when I weighed everything out, I realized that it's better for me to be a "frequent visitor" than a resident.

Part of my decision has to do with people I know who have moved there and complain about it quite a bit.

Nevada may have no income tax, but they make up for it in other areas. DMV fees are expensive there too. Wages are comparably lower and you work harder and age quicker. Everywhere you go is filled with obnoxious cigarette smoke and smokers there are quick to jump in your face and tell you "they have rights too...!".

After you go up to Mount Charleston, see Red Rock and Valley of Fire and float around on Lake Mead, what else is there to do? You could make the 4-5 hour trek back to California to go to a beach in Orange County or San Diego...but you won't be doing that as often as you think! Gas prices and mileage to other destinations are not friendly to Las Vegans.

Californians who make the move to Vegas always promise themselves they'll go back to California for the scenic attractions or the theme parks, but they seldom do, and not by their own choices. I have been told that Vegas has a way of throwing up a glass wall around the Valley making it hard for locals to leave and go anywhere once they've settled there. I would say that about 9 out of 10 of the people I know who moved to Vegas absolutely regretted it and 3 have already moved back and paid a steep price for doing so.

You don't have to leave California for a more affordable home. There are places like Ventura, Oxnard, Fillmore, Santa Paula, Lancaster and Palmdale that are decent, quiet and within an easy hour of Los Angeles.

In the end, you're going to do what you want, but be VERY, VERY sure that's what you want to do.

Good Luck to ya!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,742,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
I am a Southern Californian who once considered moving to Las Vegas. I have always had a draw to it, but when I weighed everything out, I realized that it's better for me to be a "frequent visitor" than a resident.

Part of my decision has to do with people I know who have moved there and complain about it quite a bit.

Nevada may have no income tax, but they make up for it in other areas. DMV fees are expensive there too. Wages are comparably lower and you work harder and age quicker. Everywhere you go is filled with obnoxious cigarette smoke and smokers there are quick to jump in your face and tell you "they have rights too...!".:
No they don't make up for it not nearly. Wages are lower...but not comparably lower. and when you move to the places where you can afford to live wages are lower than in Las Vegas. Don't get suckered into these comparasions. There is just no way in any economic term that California is a winner. Now there are reasons why you might chose there...but they have to overcome a vast economic loss to Las Vegas.

No everywhere you go is not filled with smoke. If it does not have gaming it has no smoke. Laws are virtually the same as CA outside of gaming facilities.

Quote:

After you go up to Mount Charleston, see Red Rock and Valley of Fire and float around on Lake Mead, what else is there to do? You could make the 4-5 hour trek back to California to go to a beach in Orange County or San Diego...but you won't be doing that as often as you think! Gas prices and mileage to other destinations are not friendly to Las Vegans.
That is about the same as saying when you have seen the ocean, Disneyland and Hollywood what is there to do in Los Angeles? We find vastly more to do than we can deal with. Rarely the strip but still not enough time. For about 5 years we kept a boat in Long Beach and spent most of the summer at Catalina...but now the RE business does not allow that. Perhaps again in a few more years. Note by the way the only places we bothered with was Catalina and an occassional visit with friends.

Quote:
Californians who make the move to Vegas always promise themselves they'll go back to California for the scenic attractions or the theme parks, but they seldom do, and not by their own choices. I have been told that Vegas has a way of throwing up a glass wall around the Valley making it hard for locals to leave and go anywhere once they've settled there. I would say that about 9 out of 10 of the people I know who moved to Vegas absolutely regretted it and 3 have already moved back and paid a steep price for doing so. :
Now you really are kidding I hope. I know at least 50 couples who moved here from CA. Four or five have an unhappy partner and two or three have returned to CA or gone elsewhere.

To some degree you So CAs don't understand what a cess pool it is that you live in. Have you looked at the state of the infrastructure? Just check a few freeways...They have gone vastly down hill since we left 15 years ago and some were not great then. Do you not realized that you have utterly lost control of your transportation system? Do you really think it is normall to travel 2 hours to go to the Dr. Do you think an evening commute should really take three hours on a wet Friday night? Have you every come through the pass to Riverside on a bad night?

Quote:
You don't have to leave California for a more affordable home. There are places like Ventura, Oxnard, Fillmore, Santa Paula, Lancaster and Palmdale that are decent, quiet and within an easy hour of Los Angeles.

In the end, you're going to do what you want, but be VERY, VERY sure that's what you want to do.

Good Luck to ya!
As soon as you come out of the temperate zone you have given up the reason for living there. The climate becomes far more difficult and not a lot different than Las Vegas. Wages go down and the access to the cultural facilities becomes nonexistent.

So CA is a wonderful place to live if you are very well off and need not deal with its obvious problems. As soon as you make only an average salary and are a wage slave you are in a hopelessly losing situation.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM

18 posts, read 36,135 times
My husband applied for a job at the VA hospital. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What I hate about SoCal is that I have to work 2 jobs just to save money for a home downpayment. Right now, we can have $70k which we can use as downpayment. For a $400k home in SoCal, that means at least $2k/month in mortgage, tax and insurance. I would have to work more because of that.

If i get a house in vegas with that downpayment, we would probably pay $700/month or less (including insurance and taxes). I don't need to work 2 jobs. Heck, we can probably have kids and have one of us stay at home and not work.

Also just for 2011 alone, we had to pay $3+k at the end of the year for CA state tax. That does not incude the $6+k federa tax we had to pay. All that because we don't have have property taxes to deduct and because we "make good money" and yet cannot afford to buy a house in Socal.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_81 View Post
My husband applied for a job at the VA hospital. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What I hate about SoCal is that I have to work 2 jobs just to save money for a home downpayment. Right now, we can have $70k which we can use as downpayment. For a $400k home in SoCal, that means at least $2k/month in mortgage, tax and insurance. I would have to work more because of that.

If i get a house in vegas with that downpayment, we would probably pay $700/month or less (including insurance and taxes). I don't need to work 2 jobs. Heck, we can probably have kids and have one of us stay at home and not work.

Also just for 2011 alone, we had to pay $3+k at the end of the year for CA state tax. That does not incude the $6+k federa tax we had to pay. All that because we don't have have property taxes to deduct and because we "make good money" and yet cannot afford to buy a house in Socal.
Good Morning, I hope your husband gets his job at the VA..I am torn between So.Ca & the Vegas area. But having to make this move alone/being a women/doggie in tow/58 & still having to work I realize what a tough decision this will be....uggghhhh. I have been working as a CNA for the 14yrs so I am used to hard work...I was thinking about the VA hospital myself...I don't want to buy a house, renting will be fine with me as long as I am in a safe & secure area.....I know the reaction I will get from my family & friends about moving to Vegas "What you out of your mind" you can't be a single women living in "VEGAS"....That is what scares me, do they know something I don't well anyway, good luck keep us posted....

Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,935,275 times
Fear. It kills your ability to seize opportunities. Don't listen to your friends and family, virg. They truly don't know what they are talking about when it comes to Vegas and they're trying to scare you into staying right where you are. It says more about them than you. Naysayers never rule the world.

If you can land a job, choosing between here and CA is a no-brainer on almost every count.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Fear. It kills your ability to seize opportunities. Don't listen to your friends and family, virg. They truly don't know what they are talking about when it comes to Vegas and they're trying to scare you into staying right where you are. It says more about them than you. Naysayers never rule the world.

If you can land a job, choosing between here and CA is a no-brainer on almost every count.
Yes you are sooo right about FEAR...I know they want me to stay right here in the middle of Iowa....I will continue with my dream even if I have to do it without telling them The funny thing is I am 58 and most of these Naysayers are the younger girls I work with....30's,40's......Going to work now...will throw more hints around today about moving will keep you posted....Thank you again for your interest & advise..I truly do appreciate any encouragement I can get....have a great day

Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,237,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post
Yes you are sooo right about FEAR...I know they want me to stay right here in the middle of Iowa....I will continue with my dream even if I have to do it without telling them The funny thing is I am 58 and most of these Naysayers are the younger girls I work with....30's,40's......Going to work now...will throw more hints around today about moving will keep you posted....Thank you again for your interest & advise..I truly do appreciate any encouragement I can get....have a great day

I'm going to be moving from Iowa to Vegas. I'm also a single gal with furbabies. I've been told "You'll never make it! You can't do that on your own" Know what I say?

WATCH ME!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 AM

646 posts, read 1,151,948 times
virg1123, you mentioned "throwing hints" about moving. Do your co-workers actually have to agree in order for you to make this decision? If so, it sounds as if you might be waiting a long time.

I'm also a female, though not single. That said, Las Vegas is pretty mild on many accounts. Bottom line is you get a job (if you need one), get a place to stay, buy food, etc. Same thing you'd do anywhere.

SoCal is also pretty wonderful. I'd say it would be hard to choose which one is best for you without visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas