Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM

611 posts, read 951,288 times

Advertisements

So when we were down for the first time in our condo it was for 9 days. We kept the a/c off at night and turned the lights off in the day. Just got our bill for $45.46....Seems a little high for 9 days in May but it states 323 KWH....Does this seem about right to you that live in the LV area? We turned the a/c switch off and just left one light on when we left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
So when we were down for the first time in our condo it was for 9 days. We kept the a/c off at night and turned the lights off in the day. Just got our bill for $45.46....Seems a little high for 9 days in May but it states 323 KWH....Does this seem about right to you that live in the LV area? We turned the a/c switch off and just left one light on when we left.
Yes, $45.46 sounds about right for 323kwh. NVEnergy charges $0.109 per kwh. Then there's the $9 monthly fee for having service. And some minor fees to fund energy programs.

1) How old is the refrigerator? Did it kick on a lot?
2) What did you have the thermostat set at when the AC was on? How old is the unit?
3) What kind of light bulbs? CFL?

Our May bill was less than yours, and we were here the whole month.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM

The refrigerator is brand new and I can't remember what the AC was set at...I'll have to check that out when we are there in July. I assume it's rather old as the building was built in 1995 I think. Not CFL bulbs but I will be doing that shortly. It just dawned on me that the door was opened and closed due to delivery men and moving stuff in constantly that maybe let more heat in than usual. Do you turn yor A/C off every night? When I'm in hotels I like it on and the room rather "chilly" to sleep but I guess I won't at home if it increase the $ too much. Thanks Scoop

Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
The refrigerator is brand new and I can't remember what the AC was set at...I'll have to check that out when we are there in July. I assume it's rather old as the building was built in 1995 I think. Not CFL bulbs but I will be doing that shortly. It just dawned on me that the door was opened and closed due to delivery men and moving stuff in constantly that maybe let more heat in than usual. Do you turn yor A/C off every night? When I'm in hotels I like it on and the room rather "chilly" to sleep but I guess I won't at home if it increase the $ too much. Thanks Scoop
If your condo association will allow it, you can buy a window-mounted evaporative cooler, which will keep your bedroom cool without using AC. This only works when the humidity is low -- which in Las Vegas is "most of the time."

But to answer your question, neither of us likes it "chilly." If we wanted chilly, we'd move to Alaska, not Las Vegas. We're both quite happy with 85f-90f.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
How big is the condo?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 PM

It 2160 sq ft. I also remembered I bought a used old Maytag washer and dryer from Buy Low Appliances on Boulder and they were made before any "energy saving" methods were even thought of. Could be that too. LOL, the chilly bedroom at night might just be an Alaskan or Canadian thing but mine is the fact that I'm an old boot with hot flashes!! :-) I'll just pick up a fan from Walmart when I down in July which would no doubt use less electricity than the AC.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
It 2160 sq ft. I also remembered I bought a used old Maytag washer and dryer from Buy Low Appliances on Boulder and they were made before any "energy saving" methods were even thought of. Could be that too. LOL, the chilly bedroom at night might just be an Alaskan or Canadian thing but mine is the fact that I'm an old boot with hot flashes!! :-) I'll just pick up a fan from Walmart when I down in July which would no doubt use less electricity than the AC.
Ok, that makes sense. Your energy bill is not high at all considering how large it is. My May bill for a 440 sq foot apartment was $67. I used 515 kilowatts for the month.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
I hope that you unplugged your refrigerator because the hotter it gets in you condo the more heat it will generate. Kinda like a closed loop situation.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
It's one of those things that ARE too expensive here. Sorry.

Don't worry about the washer. You would have to use that a lot to seriously jack up the bill. It's the AC. Since you live in a condo, I'm not sure what you would have to do to add insulation or change out the windows/doors but check it out the next time you are here. Do you at least have double pane windows?

What kind of window treatments do you have? Anything that cuts down on heat and light is good for the AC bill.

I turn my AC off if it's cool at night too but you can forget that for most of the summer. Fans are a great idea, moving air makes it feel cooler. All the designers may despise ceiling fans but they make sense here.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Darn...I didn't even think of that as I had some condiments in it! I will make sure to do that as we will be there for about 4 days in July and will turn it off. Next time wouldn't be until October so that would of used a lot of electricity...Thanks bayview6!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas