Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM

243 posts, read 629,016 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to Las Vegas in July and we are looking to rent a condo/apartment/small home for $1000 or less. We will be looking to buy a place once we get settled here and are able to sell our current place in Utah. We are looking for a place to live from July until some time around early November or December. Any help on where to look or who to talk to would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
I just repped you for the hell of it. Making the move from Utah to Vegas is like night and day. I made that move over 3 years ago with a pit stop to Korea in between. Good luck on your move.

Some info that would help out anyone that may have suggestions for you...

- How big is your family?
- Pets?
- Any specific needs or amenities needed?
- School aged children?
- How many bedrooms do you need?
- Do you trust Craigslist?
- Would you mind using a realtor for help?
- Any area that you prefer?
- Employment location?
- Does a furnished weekly rental place interest you?
- Are you Mormon?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerscotty21 View Post
I am moving my family to Las Vegas in July and we are looking to rent a condo/apartment/small home for $1000 or less. We will be looking to buy a place once we get settled here and are able to sell our current place in Utah. We are looking for a place to live from July until some time around early November or December. Any help on where to look or who to talk to would be appreciated. Thank you.
Coincidentally, I'm going to be gone from sometime in July until mid-November, but we're not renting out our house in our absence. However, you may want to do what I did and try vrbo.com. That's the site I used to rent a condo on Miami Beach for three months. The nice thing about vrbo is that for one price you not only rent a condo or house, but it also usually includes all utilities including cable tv and Internet service. You can even screen for pet-friendly rentals if that is an issue for you (as it was for us). The only thing I don't know is what you'll find for $1,000 or less. You might have better luck on Craigslist.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times
would you be willing to pay first, last and a deposit? Are you moving for work? what area will you be working from?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Von, Here are the answers to your questions:

- How big is your family? Me, My wife, and a 9 month old daughter.
- Pets? No pets.
- Any specific needs or amenities needed? Nothing specific. We would like a relatively safe neighborhood.
- School aged children? No.
- How many bedrooms do you need? 2
- Do you trust Craigslist? I have been looking and have a few options there, but I wanted to see what help CD would offer.
- Would you mind using a realtor for help? If they are willing to do it for free (which I really doubt), otherwise I don't want to go there.
- Any area that you prefer? We really like the NW areas, summerlin, and Henderson.
- Employment location? I will be traveling to people's homes across the valley, so anywhere is fine. I will be doing a lot of driving anyways.
- Does a furnished weekly rental place interest you? We are getting rid of the couches, TV, and washer and dryer. So a furnished place is great.
- Are you Mormon? Yes.

To answer other questions, yes we can pay first, last, and deposit. I am moving because I was accepted to grad school at UNLV for the fall. I will be doing behavioral rehabilitation in clients' homes throughout the valley, so no specific area.

MadMan, if you reconsider renting, please let me know, as that is pretty much the exact time frame we are looking at.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
For a short-term rental, unless you absolutely need the space I recommend one of the extended stay places. No deposits for the room or for utilities (which are included in your bill). You can rent by the week or the month. I stayed in one while my house was being completed, after finding out that apartments usually want a minimum six month lease, first and last month's rent plus deposits. It would have cost almost as much as the down payment on my house by the time I got done with all the up front costs.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
For a short-term rental, unless you absolutely need the space I recommend one of the extended stay places. No deposits for the room or for utilities (which are included in your bill). You can rent by the week or the month. I stayed in one while my house was being completed, after finding out that apartments usually want a minimum six month lease, first and last month's rent plus deposits. It would have cost almost as much as the down payment on my house by the time I got done with all the up front costs.
I think the wife wants to stay away from those extended stay places as much as possible. For the obvious reasons.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
You can rule out a home in a hoa. Most hoa's require a 1year lease

Old 03-22-2015, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
We too are looking to re locate to Vegas area ----Henderson/green valley ----business move ,family live there ! With busy lives its hard to jump right in .We are in our YOUNG 50,s ,rather feel area out before buying . Any info would be appreciated,get overwhelmed w/ zillow-firms like theirs ..................slame you w/ a million ! any help appreciated

Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
It's hard to find but something might turn up. Snowbirds may be willing to rent until end of October. Maybe look at airbnb as well lots of those are willing to rent for that timeframe. It's difficult because of his rules,.bad experiences with short term tenants in a party town and the law as well which has some tough regulations in it at the behest of the hotel and extended stay business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas