U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 PM

815 posts, read 1,042,217 times
Default Where is the best place to sell antiques?

I have some antique furniture that I wish to sell. A two-piece hutch, a lions-paw oak dinette table with four chairs, a bentwood and wicker rocking chair and a huge African mortar and pestle (should be a museum piece, the pestle is four feet tall, the mortar is two feet tall.)

They are all high priced items. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM

24 posts, read 16,864 times
We are in the same boat as you are. I tried going to the Home Consignment Center near us and was told they weren't interested. The manager explained that "No one in Las Vegas wants antiquest -- it's not that kind of town." They strongly recommended we drive the pieces to L.A. where there are a number of antique dealers that might be willing to take them. Very frustrating. I hope one of the other readers here will have a better suggestion!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM

11,253 posts, read 18,731,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinnich1 View Post
We are in the same boat as you are. I tried going to the Home Consignment Center near us and was told they weren't interested. The manager explained that "No one in Las Vegas wants antiquest -- it's not that kind of town." They strongly recommended we drive the pieces to L.A. where there are a number of antique dealers that might be willing to take them. Very frustrating. I hope one of the other readers here will have a better suggestion!
Try the antique mall on Eastern just south of Sunset. Sorry, but I don't remember the name. There are also some stores downtown but don't know if they do consignments. The home furniture consignment stores just don't deal in antiques, but obviously antiques have a market in Las Vegas. We have several pieces from local antique stores.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM

733 posts, read 968,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Try the antique mall on Eastern just south of Sunset. Sorry, but I don't remember the name. There are also some stores downtown but don't know if they do consignments. The home furniture consignment stores just don't deal in antiques, but obviously antiques have a market in Las Vegas. We have several pieces from local antique stores.
Another possibility: Lynn's World, on Pecos just north of Sunset.

Las Vegas Furniture Consignment Store | Consignment Store Las Vegas | Pre-Owned Furniture Las Vegas

Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 AM

5,988 posts, read 4,413,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
They are all high priced items. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
I'd sell them on eBay.

If your rocking chair was made by Sam Maloof, I'll buy it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 AM

733 posts, read 968,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'd sell them on eBay.
The shipping cost the OP would have to charge for these items on eBay would make it unlikely he would get even close what he wants for them. Selling locally, even through a store that takes a cut, is likely to produce a better price.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM

107 posts, read 149,827 times
Here are some options you may want to consider:

Antiques at the Market
(702) 307-3960
6665 S Eastern Ave, Las Vegas, NV
Open daily, 10 a.m.-6 p.m

Antique Mall of America
933-2791
9151 Las Vegas Blvd S, #344, Las Vegas, NV 89123
Mo to Su from 10:00am to 07:00pm

The site below lists the following three.
http://www.vegas4locals.com/freeantiquemalls.html:

ANTIQUE & COLLECTIBLE ESTATE LIQUIDATION
1422 Western Ave
384 4922

Las Vegas Antique and Gift Mall
2330 Industrial Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89102

Main Street Antiques
500 South Main Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
382-1882

Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 PM

592 posts, read 475,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
The shipping cost the OP would have to charge for these items on eBay would make it unlikely he would get even close what he wants for them. Selling locally, even through a store that takes a cut, is likely to produce a better price.
Craigslist is better if you want to keep all the profits in pocket.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 PM

460 posts, read 438,019 times
That would be a great chair, but it wouldn't qualify as an antique, would it? He only died a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If your rocking chair was made by Sam Maloof, I'll buy it.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 PM

5,988 posts, read 4,413,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Craigslist is better if you want to keep all the profits in pocket.
But they reach a far smaller audience. The reason the big auction houses do so well is because they have the market penetration to get the item in front of the sort of people who are willing to pay what it's worth.

If I had a piece of high-end art for sale, I wouldn't post "Van Gogh for sale" on Craigslist. I'd be on the phone with Christie's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas