Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times

Advertisements

Unlike XFILES, I don't think Las vegas is full of losers. I think if people want to live in Vegas and like it, good for them.
Having said that, I just don't get it with Las Vegas! Outside of the "theme park" along the strip, there isn't much to recommend Las Vegas. The rest of the city is urban sprawl and strip malls going out to the horizon giving the city all the charecter and charm of Bakersfield (apologies to Bakersfield). And then there is the summer heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 02:57 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Unlike XFILES, I don't think Las vegas is full of losers. I think if people want to live in Vegas and like it, good for them.
Having said that, I just don't get it with Las Vegas! Outside of the "theme park" along the strip, there isn't much to recommend Las Vegas. The rest of the city is urban sprawl and strip malls going out to the horizon giving the city all the charecter and charm of Bakersfield (apologies to Bakersfield). And then there is the summer heat.
Let me explain this as easy as I can. When I moved here from CA, Las Vegas was affordable. I could buy a home in the low 100's. In California, it was impossible since the price was 4x for the same 3bdr/2bath home. I also had a chance to expand my business, and Clark County has tons of work for me. There is a lot to do here as for entertainment, shopping, dining, out door recreation and close proximity to Utah snow resorts and SoCal (day trips to see family and the beach). I'm also into racing and we have a really nice track here in Las Vegas for both Nascar and NHRA. The city is mostly new, Roads are excellent compared to CA and traffic is never going to reach LA or Bay Area levels and the to me the weather is actually nice most of the year. From Mid May-Mid Sept its 90-115, but the humidity is low and the winters are mild (midwest/east coast standards)30s-80s most of the year and rains less than PAC/Northwest/Norcal. I personally hate the rain. So its all a matter of your preferences. Its also a good place for small business tax wise. For me its great and for all those who think it sucks, then maybe you should take a look at other places that might suit your needs.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
So you don't care for southwestern cities. I don't much care for eastern ones or anyplace with winter.

The strip mall and urban sprawl is a standard pejorative that can be thrown and any of the newer American City. It also indicates poor knowledge of Las Vegas...in recent years much of the "strip mall" thing has been well controlled. There is little of it in the NW and SW and what there is often is well planned.

If I remember you are oriented to the smaller rural places. I like to visit those but would not live there on a bet.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:09 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
you clearly haven't spent much time outside the strip 'theme park'. although i can't argue w/ the urban sprawl phenomenon, this is typical of western cities. what isn't typical is the variety of life offered by LV. just look at the food thread (or the good bars one) and you will see a huge difference between here and places like bakersfield (yes i have been there, and no, i don't need to go back...it is what it is). additionally, living in LV put us in proximity to expanses of outdoor activities...hiking among the bristlecones in the sping mts is something everyone who loves the outdoors should do. and while the air quality here is a bit funky at time...it is WAY better than LA - you can actually see the mts!

you do have to like the desert, though (and yeah...the heat is kinda brutal - although i got used to it surprisingly fast; i managed to move here when LA was 110F and vegas was from 105-112...of course it is in the 70s now and i am cold )...and it is way different than the humboldt area. but you also don't have the masses of people present in the 'nicer, greener' areas...and i for one enjoy my solitude and love the fact that i can get that in less than an hours drive. i am as happy here (so far...been here about a month) as i was in LA. for kinda the same reasons: big city w/ good social life right next to an outdoor life. the only difference is that i seem to drive less in LV than i did in LA (where everything seemed to always be about a hour away)

Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes, but you can take solace in the fact that 6,000 are moving in each month and probably offset us naysayers!

BTW, I formed my opinion when I travelled around off The Strip and looked around as a possible place to move. That, and my brother's experiences as a resident there. When I was on The Strip...I was on vacation...EVERYTHING looked great!
And that little bit of experience makes you an expert? Where do you live? I've probably been there once and I'd like to trash it too.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
I defend it because I have lived here for a long time and find it a very "liveable" city. I defend it because I've seen it grow to a large city from a small city and I'm glad I have seen that happen. I defend it so people can get another opinion from someone who likes living here compared to people from out of state bashing it every chance they get. Most of all though, I defend it because its my home.

Is it really that different, "US" defending it compared to you bashing it?
Great post Matt.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Actually the rest of the city is not urban sprawl and strip malls. There are many great neighborhoods. Come out sometime for a visit and i'll take you for a walk in my neighborhood which is far, far, far from the strip. It's so far that the strip looks like this tiny place way out in the desert.
Where I live, we welcome shopping since we had to all live out here for several years before anything was nearby. We don't have endless strip malls, we have very few. And welcome more, because we don't want to always have to drive down the road aways just for a few items from the store.

And last but not least, Vegas is not for everyone. It's nice to read from people that realize that and don't bash everything about our city. Or the people.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually the rest of the city is not urban sprawl and strip malls. There are many great neighborhoods. Come out sometime for a visit and i'll take you for a walk in my neighborhood which is far, far, far from the strip. It's so far that the strip looks like this tiny place way out in the desert.
Where I live, we welcome shopping since we had to all live out here for several years before anything was nearby. We don't have endless strip malls, we have very few. And welcome more, because we don't want to always have to drive down the road aways just for a few items from the store.

And last but not least, Vegas is not for everyone. It's nice to read from people that realize that and don't bash everything about our city. Or the people.
pinks right...there are a lot of great areas (something i neglected to point out when i initially responded). and you don't need to get away from the strip to find them. i live downtown...i am less than 2 miles from either part of the strip, i can see the rides on the stratosphere from my house. i got home from work around 1145, walked the dogs up to huntridge package liquor for a few beers (the bars is a Dive, but it has its charm), walked home. and despite my proximity to lights, etc. i could still see the stars (even w/ an almost full moon). i walked quiet streets, saw few people, heard no sirens, saw no choppers. i previously lived 15 miles from downtown LA and it was rare that i walked the dogs at night and could say that.

what i am getting at is you really need to experience LV before you lump it all into one generalized city. and again, pink is absolutely right...it is definitely not for everyone..but there are those of us that love it just as there are those people that love living in small towns in the midwest - places i have visited, really wouldn't want to live in, but don't feel the need to rag on.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
And that little bit of experience makes you an expert? Where do you live? I've probably been there once and I'd like to trash it too.
I never professed to be an expert. But if you followed the thread...you would have seen the previous post where dynimagelv suggested that people who trash LV are usually people who lose all their money on The Strip, and never ventured further. My repsonse was:

BTW, I formed my opinion when I travelled around off The Strip and looked around as a possible place to move. That, and my brother's experiences as a resident there. When I was on The Strip...I was on vacation...EVERYTHING looked great!

To all readers (and Matt Angry...I know you didn't ignore me like you said you did ): I AM NOT AN LV EXPERT AS BUZZY SUGGESTS...I merely offer my opinion as someone who previously considered moving there, but when I did the homework, I came away with a firm no go decision and am happy that I did. I share my insights here (usually trying to do so in some humorous way) and then sometimes get attacked by residents like BUZZ, who get SO upset when their homeland is trashed...hence the reason for posting this thread.

I couldn't give a rat's a$$ what BUZZ thought of where I live. I love it here in beautiful upstate NY. I am so very happy that I left LI, where I grew up...and equally happy that I did not make the mistake of moving to LV when I left there, like my brother did.

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-01-2007 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM

255 posts, read 361,138 times
Ohhhh......Go get a life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas